1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interracial marriage:

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Mar 9, 2005.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

No, I actually did understand your point. I just disagree with your conclusion. (Although very respectfully - I don't disagree with you often.)

How does this bigotted nature become exposed and corrected if the "offender" (meaning the couple) is always the one that has to leave town? Do we simply endure the sin of bigotry (by doing nothing to address it - and in doing so, commit a sin of ommission) just to keep the peace?

Perhaps it's the bigot that has become the stumbling block to his weaker brethren - and he needs to move out of town.

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think interracial marriage is abhorrent to God. We shouldn't marry outside of the HUMAN RACE!

Sorry to all the Spock fans.

3. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

I am White, born and raised in the Promised Land...aka Kentucky! My wife is Black, born and raised on the Caribbean island of Jamaica. Can we say, "Yeah, mon" God hasn't given us any zebras yet (I mean kids!) But if He did, they prob say things like, "How y'all doin' Yeah, mon!" :eek:

4. russell55

russell55 New Member

I don't think the Bible really IS silent on the issue. The NT emphasises the oneness in Christ Jesus that crosses the boundaries between Jew and Gentile, slave and free, etc. and places the boundary of our association around the believer/unbeliever distinction only.

If we discourage interracial marriage, then aren't we de-emphasising something the Bible itself emphasises--the oneness of all races in Christ Jesus? Aren't we drawing a line that the Bible says no longer exists?

5. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Usually the weaker brother is just some old, cranky busybody trying to enforce his or her legalism on everybody else.

We don't go to movies because of the weaker brother.

We don't drink wine because of the weaker brother.

We don't wear hair over our ears (male) because of the weaker brother.

We don't listen to contemporary Christian music or Country or Alternative Rock, etc because of the weaker brother.

And now we don't intermarry because of the weaker brother.

But isn't in funny that the weaker brother is usually the pastor or deacon. [​IMG]

6. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

amen, paul

7. blessedmamma

blessedmamma New Member

Exodus 20:12 "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you."

The only thing that I can see that would scripturally oppose the union of an interracial couple is if the parents from either side disapprove.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

People are so red necked everywhere that they consider mixed race marriages bad.

I hate it for them. I am proud to be a mixed race baby. I never really understood prejudice. I got a little bit of it and found it annoying.

9. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Good stuff. [​IMG]

10. Brett Valentine

[​IMG] :D [​IMG]

I love that! Think of the food combinations you could come up with. . . like RIce and peas. . . and catfish. . .

As to interracial marriage, bigotry is a sin that God dealt with severely. The "weaker brother" in this case is a "sinning brother." Their view here should have no bearing on whether the couple marry or not. . .

. . .but it would probably be better not to invite them to the ceremony.

ooh, another one. . . deep fried jerk chicken. . .!
    ;)
    Brett

11. North Carolina Tentmaker

I agree with everything so far on this thread. The Bible never condemns interracial marriages and makes it clear that we are all one race. Mixed marriages should be welcomed and celebrated in our society.

However, that being said, I think we need to be very careful about this because of cultural differences. Making a marriage work is difficult enough when you share the same culture and background. When the bride and groom are from different cultures it can become difficult, especially if one or both sets of parents disapprove. The Bible does condemn unions of believers and non believers. Pastor Kevin, your wife sounds great and I am sure your children will grow up with an appreciation of their diversity, but in all mixed marriages this is not the case.

This does not apply to black and white couples only. I know of several couples of mixed native American and Caucasian ancestory. This can be difficult, especially with native American relatives who live on Indian land and are trying to protect the purity of the tribe. Marrying outside the tribe can be a huge deal. One couple very close to me failed in exactly these circumstances. The bride's family resented her marrying a white man and did everything they could to destroy the marriage. Ultimately the couple divorced.

This same principle would apply to any marriage of mixed cultures (even Yankees and southerners). The Bible does not prohibit it, but you better be sure this is the girl/guy the Lord has for you, and you better be prepared for the cultural differences that will occur.

In many cases it is the Lord's will that you marry someone of another culture. I know a former American airman who married a Thai girl. They are now missionaries to Thailand. Another friend of mine married a Filipino girl while stationed there with the navy. They have a wonderful home and vacation with her family in the Philippines every year. Mixed marriages can be great, but you better be sure it is part of God's will because there will be difficulties as well as blessings.

12. delly

delly New Member

We had this discussion in Discipleship Training last Sunday night. The men (mostly Deacons) who spoke up about it were all against it. Several even stated that there are verses in the Bible against it. I have never read anything that would be against it at all. Some of the ladies didn't seen anything wrong with it. The discussion was short and not everyone got a chance to speak about it so I don't know how many were for or against.
    I am not against it as I believe no one should have the right to tell someone else who they should love and marry but I do believe there are cultural differences that can be an obstacle (as Tentmaker stated above). Also, family feelings have a lot to do with the couple being able to adjust to those differences. If one's family cuts them off from contact because of an interracial marriage, it will deffinately affect the success or demise of the marriage. Old stereotypes are hard to overcome and some will never accept it.

Yes, black is beautiful as are all the colors God made. Black alone is a blank screen. White alone is a blank screen. God made a rainbow of colors so he could make his canvas more beautiful.

13. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Then I guess most of us are in agreement, praise the Lord! [​IMG]

14. greek geek

greek geek New Member

Hey, in America, most of us are mutts anyway.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's true gg.

16. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those that oppose inter racial marriage, are there ancestors all of the one race of people?

As an Aussie my predominant ancestors were Dutch and English, yet I also have Scottish, French, Italian, Irish, Romanian in my family tree. I am suspecting that is a similar situation for most familes in the U.S?

17. CYBERDOVE

CYBERDOVE New Member

My sister and myself are black, and she is in an interracial marriage. In one more year it will be thirty years, most marriages can not live up to those stats! Her and her husband have a wonderful teenage daughter and is well ajusted. At first my brother-in-law family was against it, but in time gave in. I guess alot can be accomplish in 30 years! [​IMG]

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think those weak bigots need to grow up and read the bible.

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

That weaker brother is responsable for activity leading to spritual growth, judging others isn't one of them. If they put so much effort into growing in the Lord they may not be so weak as to be so nosey about their neighbors business.

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I noticed while in the military, that most Interracial marriages in the military seem to do better than in the civilian sector.