1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interview with Bobby Richardson

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Salty, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Former NY Yankee Bobby Richardson was in Syracuse this past week for the Chiefs Hot Stove Meeting. Bobby is a national leader of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (clikc on) http://www.fca.org/

Matt Michael of the Syracuse Post-Standard interviewed Bobby. Here is part of it:

Q. How did it come about that you gave a eulogy at Mickey mantle's funeral in 1995?

A. It really started when Roger Maris went on to be with the Lord at 51. And I had a part in that funeral. Mantle was a pallbearer. And after the service, we got on a motor home going back to the motel, and (Mantle) said, "I want you to have my funeral."
    I didn't think anything about it, but he kept reminding me every time we were together. Even as late as when he already had the liver transplant, and we were in Dallas and he called my room real early in the morning and Mickey and I talked and he reminded me. Sure enough, two weeks later, he took a turn for the worse, and (Richardson's wife) Betsy and I were asked to make all of the arrangements with the church, with Bob Costas to come in, with Roy Clark to sing.
    (Mantle) had not been attending church, so I was asked to do all of that and his family was so gracious. We did spend time together. He really did come through for the Lord, as I mentioned in the service.