1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Interview with Corsair pilot...

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Mike McK, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Corsair and Thunderbolt were both still in use in Nam. And the gooks feared them as much as they did any of the jets.

The Japanese called the Corsair the "bent-wing widow maker". It far outclassed the Zero or any other plane they had.

From what I know of the Japanese who fought in WW@, from talking with some of them while with the USN in Tokyo, this attack upon a parachuting pilot was the exception rather than the rule. It occurred more often with the Nazis. But more than one British and more than one American pilot did the same thing at times.

Thanx for posting the link!

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Yeah, my dad would tell me about them. I'll bet Charlie wasn't too fond of them, given that they usually delivered enough napalm to light up half the countryside.

Right.

It was so big and heavy that it could slingshot around and pick up speed in the turns and then, the engine was just so ridiculously powerful that the pilot would go into a steep climb and outrun the enemy, but then turn around and jump all over him in the dive.

There are only twenty or so left today.

Glad you enjoyed it. I talked with the guy who posted it just this evening and he's going to scrounge up more things like that to put on the air.

He has a terrific internet radio station that features music and news clips and PSAs from WWII.

It's about all I listen to anymore.

Go here for more...

http://www.ratpatrolradio.com/

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Thanks, KenH!! Reminds me of the famous WW2 ace, Richard Bong---who flew the P-38---the Japs called the P-38---The Twin Tailed Devil

Unfortunetly, Bong was killed during a test flight of the new jet fighter---I believe in the latter parts of '45

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Germans. They called it the "Gabel-angebundener Teufel" (fork-tailed devil)

Japanese feared it mostly because it had a range that allowed it to turn up most anywhere.

It was a squadron of P-38s sent up to ambush Adm. Yamamoto when he was being ferried to a new command.

There were a lot of arguments about the best fighter, but how many other fighters could make it home with one engine out?

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes---that was my oversight, Galatian---it was the German nickname for the Lightning.

Bong was quoted as saying though, that the P-38 could "climb like a homesick Angel!!"

And didn't the P-38 squadron "splash" Yamamoto's bomber?? It hasn't been that long ago that the wreckage that was identified as the bomber he was on was found--or was it???

7. JohnB

JohnB New Member

The radial engined prop driven WWII P47 and Corsair were used in Vietnam?
    I know the French used Corsairs back in 1954 in "their" Vietnam.
    But I had never heard of either plane being used in the American phase of the war. Could someone give me more details, I would be fascinated?

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

The American forces in Vietnam made extensive use of the Douglas A-1 Skyraider---a propeller driven attack plane.

Try this site

www.skyraider.org

9. JohnB

JohnB New Member

Thanks Blackbird.
    I am very familiar with the A-1.

I was sure that the WWII Corsair and P47 were never used in Vietnam. Perhaps earlier posters mixed up references to the A7 "Corsair" Navy jet with the WWII Corsair.

But I thought, on the off chance, that the earlier posters may have had access to some obscure history that I was unaware of. That's why I was asking for further references.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it was the Marines that called the F4U the "bent wing widow maker" and the Japanese called it "whistling death".

11. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I believe it was the Marines that called the F4U the "bent wing widow maker" and the Japanese called it "whistling death". </font>[/QUOTE]I've been reading Vietnam war history for quiet some time and I do not recall ever reading of the WW2 vintage Corsair nor the Thunderbolt ever being used in that war's combat---in either an attack aircraft nor a fighter aircraft. The A-1 Skyraider DOES resemble the P-47 Thunderbolt somewhat, though