1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Intro to Landmarkism...?

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Heavy Metal Calvinist, Nov 28, 2005.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. arkie pastor

arkie pastor New Member

Mark I agree with you 100% ....if we say that the bible is the inerrant word of God.....then we must believe that Jesus ment what he said in Matt. 16:18 "upon this Rock (Himself) I will build my Church ( assembly) and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it".

If we take Christ at his word, then there has been, and always will be a assembly (church) which exist.....from the time of His church, which I personally believe started on the banks of the Jordan river, and Him calling out the first men to follow Him.

By the way I am sorta your neighbor...for I live in Mt. View Ar.

3. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

arkie,

Another aspect of that passage is that Jesus commited the keys of the kingdom of heaven to the church. Since the Roman Catholics have grossly perverted that passage, many Baptists have ignored it altogether.

Frankly, I don't see how anyone could miss what the phrase "keys to the kingdom of heaven" means nor miss the implication of church succession that flows from it.

Mark Osgatharp

4. arkie pastor

arkie pastor New Member

Mark,

Not only has the Roman Catholic prevertion of this passage caused baptist to vere away from it. But the lack of study upon the word church (ekklesia) has brought much confusssion upon what Christ said....."I will build MY Church (assembly)"

One only has to look in the New Testament, and the way this word is used. It is basically used to relay the thought of a ...local visible assembly of believers in Christ...not perfect as even His first assembly of men were not perfect... but men who accepted him for who He said He was, and was willing to follow Him.

For one to say that Christ was not able to sustain a succession of His people...in my oppinion is calling Him a liar when He stated "The gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

Although I have to agree that in my study of church history, they were not always called Baptist.....Christ has always had a assembly of His people who stood up for the doctrines which were given to the Saints.

I do not claim to be a Baptist for denomational ......for it is sad to say that many who claim the name of Baptist i find has vered drastically from the scriptures.

But am proud to call myself a Baptist because in my study of history I find that my forefathers who truly contended for the faith and came the closest to adhering to scriptures, were affiliated with the Baptist sect.