1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Introverts/Extroverts

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by drfuss, Nov 26, 2012.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, that's just an unfortunate thing for a pastor to say. One of the realities of ministry is that we deal with unique and diverse people and have to have a generous method of leading them according to their design.

It probably is true that many pastors, or church leaders, are extroverts but it isn't that many more than are introverts. In fact many pastors who are introverts do a great job of leading well when they understand how to harness their strengths and overcome their weaknesses. In many ways I am an introvert who has extroverted tendencies. When I'm leading or being around members I have to be that gregarious, extroverted person who engages and pours out love on them. However, when I get to my home or off on my own my introversion can come through and I will be very happy with time to myself. I don't feed off of people or get energized just by being around them.

For all pastors, and people, we need to recognize that more people are introverts than are extroverts. It just seems that the extroverts make all the others feel bad about being their normal selves.

In seminary we had a pastoral ministry course where some time was spent on understanding our personalities and how we relate to others. Truthfully it wasn't nearly adequate training for ministry. I had to learn how to lead and relate to the extremes on both sides while in my first major ministry position. Thankfully I had a great mentor who spent almost a full year with me going through personality tests and evaluating how I relate to others in life and ministry. It has helped immensely.

Perhaps more than any other issue, I think more ministries are damaged because of unregulated egoes and misunderstandings concerning personalities than other issues. Haven't we all had those moments when a pastor, or leader, responded to us out of weakness rather than reconciling their personality to help the situation. It can be for either introverts or extroverts.

I don't know if it helps, but I think every minister should spend about 6 months of consistent training in personalities upon entering ministry. :)

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well said:thumbsup:

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Okay, I am back on here. Looking a post #20, I think the Scarlett O. post says the same answer I would give; so I won't repeat it here.

My relatives were pastors and I read some of the material they received from their organization. Some years ago, one of their articles said the following type of thing:

"Don't underestimate the worth of the reserved type people in your church. They are the ones that provide stability in the church; although the more emotional/outgoing people can be valuable in moving the church forward, they are also the ones who are more impulsive, emotional and unpredictable with the potential for causing problems. Pastors should appreciate both types of people because they provide balance in the church."

I don't have the exact words, but that was the message.

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

One of the most valuable things I have done to help me as a pastor in learning to work with people is to take a personality test. (I prefer the Meyers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator because it has a great deal of reliability and validity.) Once you know your "type" it really helps you understand why you do some of the things you do and sometimes feel the way you do. It also will help you understand those who are "opposite" personality types from you and how to work with them.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not an introvert but I despise when someone wants everyone to look at each other and say something stupid. Neither do I want anyone to "repeat after me". As a pastor I do not do those things to people. Neither do they serve any real purpose.

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause:

I know a lot of pastors who don't do this either. Mine thinks it's wonderful. :rolleyes: But I love him anyway. :flower:

7. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Great thoughts here! Basically, it seems that introverts experience an energy drain when around lots of people. Conversely, extroverts get an energy charge by being around lots of people.

I like your idea about training in personalities... especially if they are going to pastor people! This is a great place to start, MBTI or some Jungian perpectives. (As a side note, It sure did seem to me that Bill Gothard's IBLP teachings on 'spiritual gifts' was more about personality than scripture.)