1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Iowa lawmaker criticizes Islamic prayer

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by I Am Blessed 24, Feb 11, 2008.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

An Iowa lawmaker says it's not appropriate for an Islamic religious leader to give a prayer on the floor of the State House which calls for "victory over disbelievers."

It has been a common practice in the Iowa State House for individual members of the Legislature to invite religious leaders to open each day of legislative business. But in January, on the opening day of the 2008 session, Democratic State Representative Ako Abdul-Samad, the only Muslim member of the Iowa Legislature, invited a Muslim cleric to give the prayer.

During his speech, the cleric included the phrase "victory over disbelievers" --

THE REST OF THE STORY

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Things like this are why I have no problem disallowing official prayers.

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Are they praying to the Living God? I know that they think they are but what are we afraid of? We know they are not. This prayer goes no further than the ceiling. While it may fall on a fanatics ear as a call to action it should fall on our ears as a call to spread the gospel. The gospel of Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God will have the victory. Allah is a dead god made of the imagination of man.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't the rest of them (or most of them) "boo" and hisss that line?