1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Iran Wants to Kill US

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Nov 17, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=/Nation/archive/200611/NAT20061117b.html

Iran Wants to Kill Us, Scholar Says

By Kevin Mooney
    CNSNews.com Staff Writer
    November 17, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - Negotiations styled to placate European sensibilities will not bring an end to Iran''s nuclear drive, because the regime in Tehran is determined to kill Americans, a scholar said Thursday.

Iran has been at war with the United States for the past 27 years, Michael Ledeen of the American Enterprise Institute (AEI) said during a panel discussion at a GOPAC meeting in Washington, D.C.

Rather than responding in a forceful manner, he said, U.S. policymakers had fallen back on "talks" that have proven to be ineffective throughout succeeding administrations.

"Future historians will marvel at what has transpired between the U.S. and Iran," Ledeen said. "The U.S. has done nothing except talk."
    He compared negotiating with Iran to a scene in the 1964 James Bond movie, Goldfinger.

"Bond is lying on a block of gold, and this laser beam comes up toward his reproductive organs, and Bond at a certain point looks up and says to the bad guy, "do you expect me to talk?'' And the bad guy says, "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die.'' This is the problem with negotiating with Iranians. They don''t want to talk to us. They want to kill us."

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

What an utterly witless analysis - totally devoid of subtlety and nuance. The entire country wants to kill us!! My goodness, whatever shall we do?? :eek:

Oh, let's kill them first! That'll teach 'em!

3. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

It's typical Ledeen jingoism.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ledeen is a neocon - you know - the folks who have given the world the current mess in Iraq.

5. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

As I recall, Joseph identifies himself as a "neocon," perhaps he could offer his thoughts on this.

Hope you and yours are well, KenH: I am headed to Little Rock next week. I am hoping to return to the Clinton Presidential Library in my spare time. That is, if I get any spare time....

BiR (who is actually in Atlantic City, NJ)

6. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Its pretty obvious that he is speaking of the Iranian goverment. But you know, I bet every Japanese person did not want to kill us during WW2. I bet that every German citizen did not want to kill us during WW2.

It does not matter because there goverment leaders want us dead. And if we decide that yes they do want to kill us, then maybe killing them first would not be such a bad idea.

Is that not what we did in Japan?

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It has been against against U.S. law to target foreign leaders for assassination since the Church Committee hearings in the 1970s, if I recall correctly.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we did not attempt to take out the emperor to my knowledge.

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Similar to you and me being the "Great Satan". No real difference.:flower:

"Americans are the great Satan, the wounded snake."

Ayatollah Khomeini

That means you, Daisy...or does it?

#9 carpro, Nov 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2006
  10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

You misunderstand me. I am not talking about killing the emperor. My comment was directed at daisys sarcastic comment
    The goverment of Japan wanted to kill us. We decided to kill them
    first.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. I am not convinced - yet - that Iran is attempting to build a nuclear weapon. At this point the evidence points to a nuclear program within the confines of the No-Proliferation Treaty.

2. Even if we want to strike militarily there are major problems. Iran has spread its nuclear program far and wide. It would probably require thousands of sorties to push its program back even five years.

3. Iran has the ability to make us pay dearly for any military attack. Iran can shut down the Strait of Hormuz and cut off 20% of the world's oil supply, attack Saudi Arabia's oil facilities cutting off even more of the oil supply, and the potential repercussions that could be visited on our troops in Iraq by the Shiites are too horrible to contemplate.

4. The price of oil would most likely go to at least $150/bbl. which would mean $6.00/gal. gasoline. If this lasted long enough, the economy of the West, including our own, would crater. We could very well be faced with a new Dark Ages.

No, if Iran is attempting to build a nuclear weapon they will have to be either negotiated out of it or we will have to adopt the old Mutually Assured Destruction program of foreign relations with Iran.

Let's hope that Iran is not trying to build a nuclear weapon because if they are, I really don't think they can be stopped from doing so. Let's hope that saner heads prevail - there and here.

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

If he is talking of the Iranian government, then it is still a witless, unnuanced analysis. The government does not consist of a single man with a single opinion.

Pretty safe bet, even though we were in actual combat against them.

Proof or evidence? The author of the piece claims that we have been "at war" with them for 27 years - I don't know what he means by that. It's true that we supplied Iraq with arms and encouraged Saddam to invade Iran, but that war ended a couple of decades ago.

You would kill someone merely for their wishing you dead? If you don't kill them all, won't the remainder be likely to wish you dead?

No, they actually attacked us first, which Iran has shown no signs of doing.

#12 Daisy, Nov 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2006
  13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It's a different world today than it was in 1941.

An attack with a nuclear weapon will kill tens of thousands, not 2000 as at Pearl harbor.

The leaders of Iran have repeatedly said what their intentions are toward us. We took Bin Laden lightly and we saw the result, an attack more devasting than Pearl Harbor. We ignore the Iranians at our peril.

14. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think even the insane Imams in Iran would risk cutting off the Straits of Hormuz, which COULD trigger America's full military wrath. I believe they are going to play close to the vest for now until they can detonate a nuke in Israel. Or think they can.

At $6.00 in US it would be close to $9.50 in Europe. I bet it would be the impetus for renewed exploratory oil on the west coast, Gulf of Mexico, and North Slope.

15. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since when are subtlety and nuance prerequisits for proper analysis? The manipulation of these, are favorite methods utilized by the liberal Democrats.

#15 hillclimber1, Nov 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2006
  16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't explore for oil one week and then have a producing the well the next week. It would take 5-10 years to see significant results. Our economy wouldn't last that long before cratering.

What if the mullahs don't care about the military wrath of the U.S.? They can go into their underground bunkers for safety. It would be the ordinary Iranians who have no say so in their government's policies that would suffer, just like it is the ordinary Iraqis who are suffering today.

We either negotiate a settlement with Iran - if they are really trying to build a nuclear weapon - or else we have use a policy of containment like we did with the old Soviet Union. There are no other practical alternatives.

#16 KenH, Nov 18, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can't negotiate in good faith with Iranian mullahs whose history says they never keep their agreements.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then the only practical option - if Iran does want to build a nuclear weapon and succeeds in doing so over the next ten years or so - would be one of containment.

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

The artical could have been better written.

But my point is that every citizen in a country does not have to want us dead for their goverment to be dangerous to us. And for us to go to war with the country including the goverment and citizens in it.

I dont know what he means by " at war" but there is no doubt that the leaders of Iran would love to see us destroyed. And they have made direct statements that they want to see Isreal our allie destroyed.

If there was imminet jeprody and lack of preclusion. If somebody wants me dead and they have the ability to kill me and I am in imminent jeprody then yes. I am not saying now is the time to go to war with Iran. I am saying now is the time to prepair to go to war with Iran. And we better be physicaly and mentally prepaired to go at any time.

They are showing signes. The problem with allowing them to attack first is the consiquences will not be several hundered dead and the loss of a few ships in a harbor. The consiquences of an attack may well be thousands dead and the winner of a first attack may well win the war.

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that's what we were told back in late 2002 - early 2003 before we invaded Iraq. And we all see how that is working out. As the old saying goes - those who refuse to learn from history are bound to repeat it. And this is very, very recent history.