1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is 1 John 2:2 Really a defence of Universal Atonement?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jne1611, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jne1611

jne1611 Member

That's why your supposed to study the Bible. That is why the average person knows nothing about doctrine. Casual reading with no study.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you are implying I don't study the Bible, you are way off. As someone who was about to jump into calvinism, it was just what you mentioned that kept me from falling for it. I notice that believers are not calvinists to begin with, but become so after reading the work of other calvinists, so a case can be made that a calvinst does not become one by a strict study or reading of Scripture, or at least not until after the TULIP influence has already been engraved on the mind.

3. jne1611

jne1611 Member

My faith came from studying Scripture. I was surrounded by Calvinism for years before I ever believed as I do. I was only stating that most of the Christian church is ignorant about the Bible. Even doctrines that you and I would agree on. They are never studied for their worth. And I have seen your arguments elsewhere on Calvinism so I know that you put forth the effort to study. I believe your wrong, but I do not think you are absolutely wrong. I hope you understand me. It is like I told Bro. Bob. we disagree on these matters, but at the heart of these things we agree on the most important thing & that is with out Christ and him alone you will never get to heaven.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

While I agree about some of what you have here written, I'd add that we are commanded to "study ... cutting straight the word of truth," and in that order. One cannot cut straight the word of truth, unless one studies. However one must study in Biblical categories, not merely pile it all up in one pile and attempt to make good sense from it all. I would guess one knows what is a "vertical file". Unfortuantely, too many attempt to classify Bible Doctrines in this same manner.

Ed

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This thread has already passed its 30 page limit.
    Please feel free to start a new one.
    DHK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.