1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is a Baptist view of the Trinity the only correct view?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Onlybygrace, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

What real Biblical proof is there for the trinity as we believe it? I do believe that t is necessary for us to believe that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit ARE all God but is it necessary for us to know HOW they are all God?

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Great is the mystery of godliness..." Immanuel--God with us. Jesus told the Jewish Sanhedrin He was: "I AM THAT I AM". This statement initiated the charge of blasphemy: he makes himself to be God. Jesus is either I AM or He is not. This makes at least two persons in God. Going to Jesus' baptism, we find a third person, the Holy Spirit, descending; now there are three--all God, not gods.

Man has had problems with Trinity ever since Jesus was on trial. The Jews still reject it. The Watchtower tries to translate the teaching out of the scripture.

There is no physical way to demonstrate trinity. It is a supernatural fact. It cannot be demonstrated in a test tube. The triple point of water might be somewhat analogous: bring water to a boil, add ice--for a moment you have water as a liquid, solid and gas. This really falls short of the nature of the True and Living God. He is really quite separate from His creation. That is the problem man has with God: God is potter, man is clay.

God is--that makes man accountable--God. Man does not like that--he wants to be accountable to himself--so he surrounds himself with the religion of self. We live in a very narcissistic world. Satan is a narcissist.
    He has many followers--some of them packing bibles.

Selah,

Bro. James

3. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

James my dear brother. I agree with everything you've said but you have not answered the question

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do not think we as humans can ever comprehend HOW they are all God but instead we just need to trust the Word and accept that they are three distinct persons who are all God and we have one God.

5. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

I'm glad you said that. Does that mean then that if you believe God is a trinity by being 3 separate persons and another believes that God is a trinity by revealing himself in 3 separate persons that both viewpoints can be tolerated since neither actually know the truth of HOW God is a trinity???

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

"Is a Baptist view of the Trinity the only correct view?"

Yes.

7. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Umm...can I venture to ask why?

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am Larry, the father of my children.

I am Larry, the son of my parents.

I am Larry, the husband of my wife.

God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit, different aspects of the same entity.

9. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But that's not the same as trinity it sounds more like modalism. Trinity are mysteriously 3 unique persons 1 God. Not 3 different aspects of God.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

When God said "Let US make man in OUR image" He is most definitely speaking of more than one person. Your question sounds like you are asking the same thing just worded different.

11. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol- that’s exactly what I was about to post! I use to use that example too, but I had a professor point out the heretical implications of it. When it comes to the Trinity I think our human logic can not truly grasp it & simplified explanations will always fall short one way or another. Nevertheless, we know it is a reality b/c the Holy Spirit affirms it in God’s Word.

#11 Gabriel Elijah, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2010
  12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

:thumbs:

13. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What exactly is your question? And how are you defining the “Baptist” view of the Trinity?:confused:

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is a Spirit..... Jn 4:24

....The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 1 Cor 15:45

...he is not far from each one of us: for in him we live, and move, and have our being.... Acts 17:27,28

for in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily Col 2:9

TS, when we get to heaven do you think we'll see three, or one? I say one.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

We'll have spiritual bodies so I don't think based on our current limitations we can conclude this. Angels are also spiritual beings, and they were able to be seen when allowed. If our flesh can see spiritual bodies, how much more could our spiritual bodies see?

16. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We'll see three unique persons homoosious with each other being one God. Ie a Trinity.

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed; it's not a strong conclusion on my part; just an expectation that we'll only see the Lamb.

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, we'll see.... :)

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Based on our current limitations I agree. The Holy Spirit was able to be seen "like" a dove and "flames of tongues" (whatever that means, who knows), not to mention God's shekinah glory was able to be seen via flame and smoke. Moses was able to see His backside, too.

Given that, it's anyone's guess how we will be able to see God in eternity.

20. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just out of curiosity, how would your rationalization explain the baptism of Christ where all 3 are performing different actions; ie the Son is being baptized, the Father is speaking, & the Spirit is descending?