1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Accreditation Unbiblical?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by ktn4eg, Mar 28, 2007.

1. larryjf

larryjf New Member

ok...check out page 30 of this report...

http://www.goacta.org/publications/Reports/accrediting.pdf

2. larryjf

larryjf New Member

The original article that i read on Westminster and the accreditation issue is no longer on the original site, but i did find it on the wayback machine...
    The Politics of Accreditation

3. Palmetto Boy

Palmetto Boy New Member

This is slander. Westminter did not allow women on the board, as can be seen in the source you cited. Westminster threatened to withdraw from the association if Middle States didn't reverse its decision. Instead, Lamar Alexander intervened on behalf of WTS, and Middle States backed down.

4. larryjf

larryjf New Member

The article said that the accreditor "notified Westminster that the seminary's proposal to have the board "augmented" by elders not ordained by the church would be acceptable"

So that doesn't technically mean "women" but it is still a compromise and it could certainly lead to women being on the Board. If they don't have to be their church's elders then that really opens things up. Why should Westminster not be allowed to have elders that are ordained by the church?

And what about Baruch, the other college in the article...
    "Baruch's skirmish with Middle States ended in defeat for the college."

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

There is no biblical injunction against women on the board of a college.

Also accreditation means a school is not a diploma mill

6. mnw

mnw New Member

Actually, accreditation means a school is accredited.

It may or may not be a diploma mill with or without accreditation.

7. larryjf

larryjf New Member

But the way some see it is that the Bible sets male Elders to be in charge of Church teaching. If the Board of a school is in charge of how a particular denomination is taught, logically it would rest with ordained Elders. The Bible may not speak directly of schools, but it does speak of teaching (1 Tim 2:12)

8. larryjf

larryjf New Member

I judge each school by its fruits, not by if it has regional accreditation. And i would never call ARTS accredited (not regionally accredited) schools diploma mills.

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must have a very liberal definition of diploma mill.

Legitimate accreditation agencies hold colleges to strict standards.

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

"Some" see it wrong.

11. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Excellent biblical defense of your position

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Recently I attended some training to be on an accreditation committee to evaluate school. Even though I was in business for over 20 doing the same thing I am teaching today I still learned some new things which the accrediting agency saw as important and I had not given much thought to. Accreditation helps a school to be reminded of what is important and point out areas of weakness which may need improvement. It also commends the very good programs. Even good schools may not be aware of legal issues and other areas which are important. It helps to give balance to a program.

I do not see accreditation as a negative for someone who wants to do a great job. Accreditation involves a self evaluation and observation by an outside committee. Too many can settle into teaching their little area and avoid in teaching what may be needed for students to be well prepared.

13. Libero

Libero New Member

GLL, would Jesus post on an internet forum?

14. Dolphinboi

Dolphinboi New Member

There is only one teacher

When you are called to serve God, it is God who will teach you what you need to know. No man knows the mind of God. And few follow His ways. So it is God you should go to in order to become what you are called to be.

Universities teach you man's understanding and man's knowledge. It is a waste of time and money. And besides, the best way to learn how to be a servant of God is to find other true servants and model after them. But do this listening to God, because there is only one teacher.

However, if you take the time at a university to learn Hebrew and Greek, the original languages of the Bible, this is good. To be able to read the Bible in their original language is a blessing, and better to read for yourself what God inspired than to trust the many translations, even King James. The original language is how it should be read.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Every Christian is called to serve God and make disciples. Why is it that few have figured out how to make disciples other than just stand before a group of people and preach or teach a Bible study.

16. Dolphinboi

Dolphinboi New Member

in response

Of course everyone is called to serve God. But it is a matter of how, when, where, what, ect. We each make up the body of Christ, and we each serve an important function within that body. And while an important part is making disciples, the body completes other tasks as well.

Aside from seek and save the lost, aren't we also to help the poor, right injustice, feed the hungry? And don't some parts of the body act as mentors to the new babies being born into the kingdom? So how we serve the Lord may differ from one part of the body to the next.

When we are called to serve in specific areas of the world, or in specific ways, these are where the Lord will teach us how to serve. To be our guide. And not everyone is ready to serve when they come out of the womb. We each must be tested and refined, to become better instruments for our Lord.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Discipleship is not a part of ministry. It is ministry. It is not doing ministry. It is ministry. Those I meet and help to grow soon become my friends in minstry. When they get older they are partners in ministry. I no longer lead them but they lead others. The legacy I leave is with them the rest of their life. Some of those are pastors, missionaries, and in other ministries. All are doing ministry where they live and work. Disipleship does not value one gift more highly than another. It teaches the person to lead people they meet. Usually those they meet are much like themselves. Over and over it has been proven that those who are strong leaders have had strong leaders in their lives as models. The men who have had a great influence on me continue to influence me. Some are dead and others are still living. When I encounter a situation often I am reminded of how that person dealt with the same issue. Some were great models of how to lead a family. I did not gow up in a loving Christian home. I needed to see the difference Christ makes.

When I teach people I take them with me in wherever I go. We are friends working together trying to reach people. When I do a funeral I take some with me. When I visit dying people I take some with me. When I go eat ice cream I take some with me. I try to have people aorund me so they can see ho wministry is done. One man I met a few years ago was not a Christians and now leads the music at a church and also was asked to teach the people how to do evangelsim and make disciples. One day I got a call from him and he tahnked me for out many times together. During our conversation he told me a bout a time when I shared my faith with someone as he watched. He told me that he was surprised at my boldness. God used that to encourage him to share his faith. I was just being me. Now he shares his faith in ways that are him.

Some of those I met years ago are leading in ministries I would find very difficult. One is a first class musician. I know little about music. One is an excellent evangelist. He is far more gifted than I am in that and I have learned a lot from him. Some are engineers. Some are average blue collar workers. Nobody is like me. All of them are walking with God and doing ministry. Disipleship encourages the people to be used by God and employ their gifts to serve others.

18. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold that basic accreditation is non-Biblical. Which means, there is nothing in Scripture to either affirm or condemn the basic idea of accreditation.

Regetfully, the choice of the proper accreditation body is not an easy one. A school must closely look at the different accreditating organizations to find the one that best fits its mission. A school could put its self on a downward path by choosing the wrong org.

19. Broadus

Broadus Member

Squire,

Do you have some specific cases in mind? We all know of schools which went downhill prior to accreditation being an issue, e.g. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.

Also, we all know of schools which have the same accreditation as liberal theological institutions and have returned to their conservative roots, e.g. SBTS.

I may simply be missing your point, so I would appreciate if you would elaborate a bit.

Blessings,
    Bill