1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is anyone familiar with the practice of shunning?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Zenas, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Of course, I would not join a church where I had to sign a covenant, though I am willing to say I agree with the Doctrinal Statement of a church I join. And I would never join a church that had a rule against drinking, even though I don't drink.

However, since this church had that rule and these people agreed to it, then they are accountable. But they didn't drink - they voted, right? I am not so sure they should be disfellowshipped over this.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

How about human-ship? Or individual-ship? Or people-ship?

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly! :thumbs:

4. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

They never violated the church covenant. I don't drink, but as a Libertarian I don't want the government telling me I can't.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just needed to be resaid...well put! :thumbs:

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thanksfully I live in one of those dry counties. Our church covenant also prhibts the use of and sell of alochol, and included drugs. I don't see that these people did anything to violate the covenant at all.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I miss something - who said anything about the govt being involved in this?

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

They violated the spirit of it.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How could they violate the spirit of it? It's a covenant. If it's in there, it's in there. If they didn't want their people to even support alcohol consumption by those outside the church, then they should have put that in the church covenant.

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

God initially told man, "Neither shalt thou commit adultery." Later Jesus had to clarify to the people that they were violating the spirit of the covenant by telling them, "That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If the church covenant prohibits the sale of alcohol and a member supports the sale of it, haven't they broken the covenant?
    If the covenant were to prohibit abortions, and a member supports abortion and votes for it in an election, wouldn't that member be breaking the covenant?

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rom 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Yea lets not follow scripture gee someone might actually repent.:rolleyes:

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No. In order for it to be broken, that church member would have to engage in the sale/consumption of alcohol him/herself. Simply supporting the right of another person to consume alcohol does not mean the person supporting that right is engaging in that behavior.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How about supporting the right to homos*xual marriage? Abortion? What if these actions were prohibited in the church covenant, yet a member was an active supporter?

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only covenant the church needs to act on members is scripture.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I would question the moral appropriateness of the church's covenant. Revmitchell is right. The only covenant the church needs to act on members is scripture.

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

People join a church to fellowship with other Christians...not to give busybodies any say whatsoever in their lives. Some folks just want to have power over others, and the church gives them an excuse. I would never join a fellowship where you had to sign some kind of statement like this.

18. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anyone who has been a teenager would be familiar with the practice of shunning.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

My point in this discussion is the hypocrisy that I am seeing.

To say alcohol consumption is sin, but supporting another's right to do it, is hypocrisy.

As far as the church in the OP, I wasn't there and don't know all the details. My point is simply that it is hypocritical to agree to a covenant that says alcohol consumption is against church doctrine, then go out and publicly support it. Some here are saying that it's ok to support it as long as you don't actually do it, even though you have agreed to a church covenant.

I am not promoting church covenants.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No it's not. I vehemently oppose the taking of the Lord's name in vain. But I oppose any law that prohibits a person's right to take the Lord's name in vain in the privacy of his own home.