1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Arminianism heresy?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Robert William, Mar 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother DHK,

I do not see how you can reconcile your belief of free will to believe the gospel with the fact that some people believe and others do not. Let me put it another way, why did you believe the gospel while your neighbor perhaps didn't? Was it because you were more righteous than your neighbor, or more intelligent? The reason you believed is because the Holy Spirit regenerated you and opened your heart, and afterward you had faith and believed the gospel when you heard it. If this is not the reason, what is? As 1 Corinthians 4:7 states "Who maketh thee to differ from another".

Identical causes exerted on identical objects under identical circumstances will produce identical results. Why do some people with the same nature hearing the same message from the same gospel preacher at the same time not all produce the same results of belief in the gospel? The answer is because, " Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 16:17). The Holy Spirit quickens the individual, then and only then can he respond with faith in the gospel message.

#81 BrotherJoseph, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Absolutely wrong.
    First, it may be that my neighbor hasn't heard the gospel yet. How do you know? You assume facts not in existence. (Or maybe he is saved).
    Second, if he isn't saved, there are a number of reasons why any person may not be saved:
    1. the reason Pharaoh wasn't--the hardness of his heart.
    2. the reason Satan rebelled--Pride.
    3. Most of all he has rejected Christ of his own free will. No one forced him to make that decision. You attribute evil to God. In your belief system God is the author of evil because God has not regenerated him. Therefore God is the monster who has not given him the means to be saved. What a terrible ugly religion you believe in.
    Only if people are robots. I know that Calvinism teaches that we are mere automatons; puppets of the Great Puppeteer. But the Bible doesn't teach that. God made each and every one of us unique creations, all different from one another. Just look at your neighbor. Does he look like your twin?
    You are so wrong. People rebel out of different reasons. Why didn't all the apostles immediately respond that way. BTW, that was not the time of Peter's "regeneration." or salvation. It was simply a time that God spoke to him internally. He was saved long before that.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just accept the scenario. He has an unsaved neighbor, as we all do.
    He did indeed have a hardness of heart regarding letting the Children of Irsrael free. But regarding his salvation the Lord more than likely appointed him before the foundation of the world not to be among the elect.
    That's absurd. Angelic beings fallen or not are not "saved" or "unsaved."The ones in God's presence are not "saved."
    His will is not free. It is one-directional because of the bondage of the will.
    No one is making the claims you constantly assert.
    That's a big fat lie. (Your stock-in-trade.)
    That's a stupid lie. God has the right to regenerate anyone of His choosing. He also has the right to not regenerate anyone of His choosing. God is not wicked for not regenerating some. He owes no one anything. Those that are saved are debtors to His mercy.
    Your very words condemn you. You know no shame.
    What a grand lie. When a sorry argument like that is brought up by the likes of you so often, people just nod-off. When something isn't working for you --then don't use it.

No Calvinist teaches that sick portrait of yours. Why lie and say they do? Is that all you have in your arsenal --lies?

4. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother DHK, I was speaking hypothetically.

Is there any reason that a righteous God ought to be loving toward a creature who hates him and rebels constantly against his divine authority and holiness?

Why would God be evil if he did not regenerate someone, and what passage states he is under obligation to save everybody, let alone anybody? Isn't God gracious if he shows mercy to just one? Your unspoken assumption above is based on the idea that God is obligated to be gracious to sinners. If grace is obligated it is no longer grace. The very essence of grace is that it is undeserved. God always reserves the right to have mercy upon whom he will have mercy. God may owe people justice, but never mercy.

Also, if you believe one has to have faith in the gospel for one to "become regenerated", how did John the Baptist have the Holy Spirit from his mothers womb? Moreover,if one first has to hear the gospel to become regenerated, how is it possible for the writer of Psalm 22:9 to say, "But thou art he that took me out of the womb: thou didst make me hope when I was upon my mother's breasts" How does God regenerate infants dying in infancy, and the mentally impaired in your system of salvation? Do you have a different means of regeneration for them apart from us? If so, what scriptures is it derived from?

We all are born with the same sin nature inherited from Adam (I think you would agree with that), thus it would only be logical in your system that we would all respond in an identical manner to the gospel as we all have the same nature that our will is based upon. The fact that people respond differently by believing the gospel, but others do not believe, proves God is sovereign and must make the sinner alive before he can believe the gospel.

I agree he was saved prior to that, I provided that verse as proof that the Father has to reveal himself to an individual regarding Christ's identity. We as, "Flesh and blood" do not come to the discovery by our own free will.

#84 BrotherJoseph, Apr 4, 2015
  5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

First, God looked upon his creation and declared not only that it was good, but it was very good.
    Second, even when his creation disobeyed God sought out Adam in love. He did not simply condemn absolutely once and for all. Thus we see the immediate attributes of God and deduce that a God that never changes is going to be consistent throughout history. He is not going to be a God of love one day and a monster the next. He is not like the gods of many other religions--subject to their own moods and emotions.
    God only has one will, despite what others teach. Here is what God's will is:
    He is not willing that any should perish.
    His will is that all should come to repentance.
    His will is: that because He atoned for the sins of the whole world, that the whole world should come to Him (1John 2:2)
    His will is: that "all men might be saved." (1Tim.2:4)
    God has stated his will clearly, unequivocally.
    Grace is always undeserved. However that grace was shown in the cross of Calvary. Are you suggesting that the death, burial and resurrection of Christ and the grace that was provided there, was all in vain. It was not for our sins only but for the sins of the whole world. To say otherwise is very arrogant and proud.
    What kind of red herring is that? John was "regenerated" (if that term can be properly used in an OT dispensation) just like anyone else in the OT. Faith is the basis. John didn't get a free pass.
    Surely you are not basing your theology on a Messianic Psalm?
    As for infants God in his mercy will take care of them. That is another subject that doesn't belong here. Start another thread if you want to discuss that.
    And you are wrong. If your assumption were right common sense would tell you that twins, triplets, etc. would respond exactly the same way but they don't. And I think you know that. You differ from your siblings if you have any. Why?
    Not true. Just the wanderings of a fanciful imagination that can't be backed up with scripture. You haven't given any.

6. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Those of us who hold to the doctrines of grace believe it is your camp who preaches a God who fails to save for the following reasons......

Your camp believes:

1. God’s will is subservient to man’s will, which is the ultimate deciding factor in salvation. What man ‘freely ‘chooses is how it will go. Such a subservient God is no God. He is an evil spirit posing as a God.

2. Christ shed His blood for every human ever born, yet is only able to save a relatively small portion. His mission to seek and save that which is lost has a miserably high failure rate. Your Christ is a pathetic failure.

3. God infallibly knew from eternity who would reject His Son, yet you posit a spirit of insanity in the all-wise God who, you believe, had His Son die for the sins of the very ones He always knew would reject Him. In a word, such a mission is one of extreme futility, as well as impossibility. Your Christ shed His blood in vain.

We, on the other hand, believe:

1. Rather than allow the entire human race to die in their sins reaping the just punishment their sins deserved, God, in a spirit of unconditional gracious love, mercy and compassion elected to save a remnant.

2. Knowing that fallen man’s evil sin nature would not allow compliance to God’s holy demands, God had prepared a Savior for the chosen Elect.

3. This Savior, Jesus Christ, would perform perfect obedience to the Father, both active and passive, on behalf of the very ones given Him by the Father.

4. As a result, the Elect ones chosen by the Father died with Christ on the cross and rose with Him in the resurrection.

5. Every one for whom Christ died and rose again will be justified. He rose for our justification.

6. The Elect are saved by grace through faith which is also of grace, not of ourselves that we may boast.

7. Christ purchased the Elect with His blood. He not only purchased our redemption, but purchased all spiritual gifts necessary unto salvation.

8. Christ loses not one Elect for whom He died.

In summation, Christ saves every soul elected by the Father.

He is the infinitely perfect and always immutably successful Savior.

Every drop of blood shed saves to the uttermost.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter was referencing the elect.
    Only the elect.
    Everyone's sins from the beginning of time have not had their sins atoned for --that means that they are all in the clear --none bound for (or in) hell. No, Christ propitiated the sins not only for certain Jews but Gentiles scattered around the globe. He has His own from amomg all tribes, languages peoples and nations.
    All His own --the ones He chose before the foundation of the world. He has His own from among folks of all stations in life.

#87 Rippon, Apr 4, 2015
  8. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

Still waiting for Calvinists to show evidence of their beliefs prior to Calvin's invention of them 1600 years after Jesus. Oh, hold on. I guess God in His wisdom withheld the "truth" from people for 1600 years, and Calvin was His instrument for discovering it and restoring it.

9. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

A question for the fatalist determinists: Did Satan rebel against God by choice, or did God predestine him to rebel? If the latter, you make God the author and originator of evil.

This right here is why Calvinism is the false, abhorrent, evil belief system that it is.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

God is not wiling that ANY should perish. Perhaps you lack both English and Greek comprehension. In no language does "any" refer to the elect. Not even in context does "any" refer to the "elect." No person would even think that it refers to the "elect". The only way a person would come to that conclusion would be, if they had been first taught by a Calvinist. It has to be read forcibly into the text. It isn't there.
    See above answer.
    Opinions are noted but remain opinions. Would you care to comment on the Koran as well??
    More opinion. No fact. No scripture. Just imagination at work.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only of His elect.
    You are blind. Read 1:4;3:13 from 2 Peter. Read 1:1 and 2:9 from 1 Peter. It's there. You are just blind to the scriptural facts.

I was expaining the text to low-information folks like yourself.
    I was using scriptural language. If you are not that versed in the Scripture then you wouldn't know what my scriptural language pertains to --or that I was employing scriptural language at all. Do I have to referfence everything with an address? You need to study the Bible more.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you delight in posting lies, or are you ignorant of what we believe?
    Again: Is it lies or ignorance?
    Lies or ignorance?
    (When you have a valid question to respond to, I will attempt to do so.)
    And in the same love, mercy and compassion selected the rest for reprobation to an eternity in the Lake of Fire EVEN if they have heard the gospel and have had the chance to be saved but could not because they were deliberately blinded to the truth by an all-loving God, so to speak?? And yet you still call that love? Quite Amazing, really!
    And left the rest of the world without a Savior and damned them to the Lake of Fire without hope, without mercy, without love, without kindness--all of which are attributes of God, that you are seemingly oblivious to.
    "On behalf of the very ones given to him."
    Yet, contrary to what you say, all the known world of that time could see the miracles that he did, and many out of their own free will decided not to believe in him anyway. Therefore, he could not enter into Capernaum any longer because "of their unbelief." They chose not to believe.
    Fait accomplis?
    I don't think so! You must have a very mystical religion.
    You believe in universalism. That is heresy.
    It doesn't say that faith is of grace. Perhaps you mix up Calvin and the Bible. It could be confusing for a Calvinist; I realize that.
    That is not what the Bible says. Let me quote to you what it says:
    Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
    --Once you figure out the meaning of that verse then you can figure out the rest.
    The scripture doesn't use the word elect in that context does it?
    Rather, he will never cast out those who come to him.
    How many drops of blood did it take to save you?
    If you were the only one on the face of the world how much blood would it take to save you?
    "Every drop of blood" you say? If he only needed to save the elect, then did he have to shed ALL his blood?

13. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Originally Posted by BobRyan [​IMG]
    [FONT=&quot]God's Lament
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hosea 11[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]:7 So My people are bent on turning from Me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Though they call them to the One on high,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]None at all exalts Him.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]8 How can I give you up, O Ephraim?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]How can I surrender you, O Israel?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]How can I make you like Admah?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]How can I treat you like Zeboiim?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]My heart is turned over within Me,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]All My compassions are kindled[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Ezek 18[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    30“Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, each according to his conduct,” declares the Lord GOD. “Repent and turn away from all your transgressions, so that iniquity may not become a stumbling block to you. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]31“Cast away from you all your transgressions which you have committed and make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! For why will you die, O house of Israel? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]32“For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies,” declares the Lord GOD. “Therefore, repent and LIVE!" [/FONT]

"He came to HIS OWN and HIS OWN received Him not" John 1

[FONT=&quot]2Cor 5
    18 Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation,
    19 namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the WORLD to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
    20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.[/FONT]

God's "Appeal" and Lament

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ezek 18[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]30“Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, each according to his conduct,” declares the Lord GOD. “Repent and turn away from all your transgressions, so that iniquity may not become a stumbling block to you. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]31“Cast away from you all your transgressions which you have committed and make yourselves a new heart and a new spirit! For why will you die, O house of Israel? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]32“For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies,” declares the Lord GOD. “Therefore, repent and LIVE!" [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2Cor 5: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2 Peter 3[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]8 But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day.
    9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not willing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“He CAME to HIS OWN and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]His OWN received Him not[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” John 1[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Matt 23[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]37“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]38“Behold, your house is being left to you desolate![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Luke 7[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]28 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]When all the people and the tax collectors heard this, they acknowledged God’s justice, having been baptized with the baptism of John. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]29 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]But the Pharisees and the lawyers rejected God’s purpose for themselves, not having been baptized by John.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Is 5:4[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    What could have been done more to my vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Response: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Well the Calvinist would have an answer for God on that one. An answer contrived via “extreme inference” in places like Deut 5:29. Calvinism would inform the world – and God Himself of just what God did to cause the lamentable result that God is complaining about. If the result is wrong then Calvinism argues He did wrong - sabotaging His own plans or at the very least - being forgetful to "do the necessary" as the saying goes in India.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The elephant in Calvinism’s living room is that they make God the saboteur of His own Gospel plans for life and salvation – the cause of His own lament
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]– like a house wife with a broom lamenting as she stares at a pile of dirt that is not swept clean, crying out “what more could I have done!! Why are you still just sitting there unswept??”.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It appears to those watching Calvinism making such claims - that it is all counter intuitive - counter to the Word of God and based solely on incorrect "inferences" inserted into a text here or there.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

The NEW Covenant is also spoken to Israel and only made WITH Israel and Judah - BOTH in Jer 31:31-33 AND in Hebrews 8.

" Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:" Heb 8:8

The TEN Commandments including the command not to take God's name in vain are spoken TO Israel Ex 20:1-7. So unless you consider it ok for Christians to take God's name in vain... also a problem for your statement.

Christ said "Salvation is of the JEWS" in John 4 - so unless you think that only Jews are saved - a bit problem for your solution.

Acts 13 Paul says Christ came to as a Savior to ISRAEL - so unless you think that only Jews are saved under the Gospel - it is another problem for your solution.

23 Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus:

I appreciate your attempt to solve the problem for Calvinism but you are appealing to an idea that would also deprive gentiles of the New Covenant.

The pattern of salvation is the SAME in OT and NT because as Paul said in Heb 4 "The GOSPEL was preached to us JUST as it was to THEM also".

In 1Cor 10 "They all drank from the same ROCK and that ROCK was Christ".

In Gal 3:7 "the Gospel was preached to Abraham".

In Gal 1:6-9 there is only ONE Gospel.

That method/plan/means of salvation has always been the same - by grace through faith - and it operated in both OT and NT. Thus Moses and Elijah are WITH CHRIST in Matt 17 in glorified form - and seen by 3 disciples. And that means that ignoring scriptures listed pointing to a huge problem in Calvinism is not at all excusable. "ALL scripture is given by inspiration from God AND is to be used for doctrine" 2Tim 3:16

14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes He does. "God so loved the WORLD that HE gave" John 3:16.

"God is not WILLING that ANY should perish" 2Peter 3.

There is no such "World of only believers" or any such thing in the Bible when it comes to "God so Loved the World".

John 3 "God so Love the WORLD" -- "yes really"! not simply over-marketing.

John 1 9 There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man. 10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

John 6 51 I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.”

1John 2:2 "He is the Atoning sacrifice for OUR sins and not for OUR sins only but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD".

1 Tim 4:10 "10 For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of believers."

Peter in Acts 10
    “I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality,35 but in every nation the man who fears Him and does what is right is welcome to Him.

#94 BobRyan, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
  15. Protestant

Protestant Well-Known Member

Pastor, I find it quite incredible that with the enormous Bible knowledge you possess you still have difficulty in distinguishing grace from justice.

Our Lord owes no man grace, including salvation.

Our Lord owes all men justice, including eternal condemnation.

The chosen Elect are the recipients of God’s grace.

The non-Elect are those our sovereign Lord has passed by, not willing to show them saving grace, mercy or compassion.

He is not unjust for doing so.

His all-wise holy will of good pleasure is the cause of election and preterition.

Yes, our Lord is love.

But not only does He love to save the Elect by grace, He loves to render justice upon the non-Elect for the sins they have willfully committed.

The reprobate will glorify His love of justice.

These are vessels of wrath fitted for destruction.

The Elect will glorify His love of mercy.

These are vessels of mercy prepared for glory.

The Lord need not harden the hearts of the reprobate, as He clearly hardened Pharaoh.

This they do of their own perfectly ‘free’ sinful evil will which hates divine holiness, divine truth and divine righteousness.

The crucifixion of Christ proves mankind’s overt hatred of God, killing Him when given the chance.

Why do you incessantly kick against the goads of divine truth?

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have claimed that you majored in Church History and doctrine and that you have read all the major works of Calvinists, yet you persist in airing your ignorance.

So you are unaware of Augustine and Prosper of Aquitaine.
    You have never heard of Gottschalk, Remigius of Lyons and Ratramnus.
    You have nver come across the Venerable Bede.
    You are uninformed of Robert Grosseteste, Bradwardine and Wycliffe.
    You've never heard of Jan Huss apparently.
    You are uninformed regarding Vermigli and Bucer.

But you presume to make wild and profane assertions repeatedly.

I have told you before :Get thee to a legitimate library and study Church History. Stay away from stupid anti-Calvinist websites.

17. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

I am very familiar with all those you listed.

When you have your doctorate, as I do, then you will at least have some basis for spewing forth your diatribes and foolishness. That won't change the fact that it will remain foolishness, however.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good. If you are "very famililiar" with all those men in Church hisory that I listed then you can admit you were in error --that you have contradicted yourself.

If the doctrines are only 400 years old (starting in 1615?) then you need to explain why the doctrines were taught by these men throughout Church history before John Calvin came on the scene.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Grace and justice are not opposites to be pitted against each other. Neither is one greater than the other. All of God's attributes work together. God does not contradict himself in his own nature, neither does he ever go against his own nature. or as some Calvinists do believe, is the author of sin.
    No, he doesn't owe us anything. However he paid the debt for us all.
    That whosoever believes in him might have eternal life.
    He paid a debt, that we by believing in Him, might freely accept the gift he has provided--a gift provided for all--not for a select group. This is grace and love. Justice does not define the limits of the incomprehensible love of God.
    --But Calvinism tries to do that. It is unbiblical for them to do so for God is greater than our thoughts, nevertheless the vanity of man knows no ends.
    If God has paid the penalty of all the sin of all mankind (and he has).
    If any man has accepted that gift freely, then out of the fairness and justice of God he does not "owe" him eternal damnation. The penalty for his sin has been paid. And said man has accepted the payment. Thus you are incorrect there.
    This skewed description of election contradicts your following statement that God is a God of love. You parrot the statements of Calvinism and yet without a Biblical understanding of what the Bible teaches about this subject.

First, God made man in his own image, and in doing so gave him a will to choose between good and evil. He created him greater than the animals. He is able to think, reason, choose freely. It is as if Calvin puts mankind back on the level of animals. No, inasmuch as man has an ability to think and reason, he can choose--choose between good and evil; God and Satan.
    Within the sovereignty of God, God has given to man "free will."

Jesus said: "You have not chosen me but I have chosen you that you may go and bring forth fruit and that your fruit should remain" (John 15:16).
    --When He called His disciples, he called those who he knew would accept him. It was always based on their free will, and never anything else but.
    The rich young ruler refused.
    The disciple that said: "First let me go and bury my father," made his choice.
    --Jesus did not force him to be a disciple. He had to choose between family and Christ.
    Salvation is always based on the free will of man as allowed within the confines of God's sovereignty.
    Strictly speaking "election" per se, never refers to salvation or reprobation, but always refers to the blessings that believers have in Christ Jesus.
    Thus Calvinists continue to be off the mark theologically on this subject.
    Your theology says otherwise.
    The doctrine of reprobation serves only to make Satan happy. It glorifies the devil and nothing else. It is not biblical and never has been. The word of course is not found in the Bible.
    Those who trust Christ are saved.
    Those who reject Christ are damned. Your theology makes God the author of evil. That is the logical consequence of reprobation.
    Let's look at this passage that you are butchering.

Rom 9:19-24
    (19) Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
    (20) Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
    (21) Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
    (22) What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
    (23) And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
    (24) Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
    --Paul is describing God as a Potter. He describes God's right to do with creation as he will.
    However, the passage does not tell us specifically what his will is. There are numerous other passages that tell us that. There are other passages that tell us that the will of God is that all men come to repentance; that all men be saved, etc. That is what we know of God's will. It is not stated here.
    There is nothing in this passage that states that God causes any person to do evil. God is not the author of evil as you portray.
    --Hath not the potter power over the clay (a rhetorical question)
    --What if God, willing to shew his wrath, (another rhetorical question)
    --Note: It does not say that God is willing to show his wrath here.
    You are confused here also.
    Before going to Romans 9, you must first look at Exodus 3 to understand the context.
    Exo 3:19 And I am sure that the king of Egypt will not let you go, no, not by a mighty hand.
    --Pharaoh already had a "hardened heart" before Moses ever went to Egypt, or before the Lord ever hardened it any further than it already was.
    --What was the purpose of the "hardening of Pharaoh's heart?
    Did have anything to do with "reprobaton"? Anything at all?
    Anything to do with salvation?
    What does the Scripture say?

Exo 10:1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh: for I have hardened his heart, and the heart of his servants, that I might shew these my signs before him:
    Exo 10:2 And that thou mayest tell in the ears of thy son, and of thy son's son, what things I have wrought in Egypt, and my signs which I have done among them; that ye may know how that I am the LORD.
    --The purpose of the hardening of the heart of Pharaoh had nothing to do with salvation or reprobation. Those who claim it does do not know their Bibles. He hardened his heart to emphasize to His people that the Lord their God was indeed Jehovah. That was the reason. They were to remember that they were serving the true and living God and were always to keep these things in remembrance as a reminder of that.
    We all are depraved, but not so totally depraved that we cannot choose God. Total Inability is a false doctrine. "Seek ye the Lord while he may be found."
    It also proves the greatest act of God's love for mankind. I would hope some realization of that great truth would dawn on you this past week-end.
    He died, was buried, and rose again, that whosoever believes on Him, might be saved. The "whosoever" is not to be redefined by Calvin. It means "whosoever."
    I know what the Bible teaches; do you?
    Consider:
    John 3:16 is no doubt the most popular verse in the Bible, memorized by children all around the world in hundreds of different languages, not just by hundreds, or thousands but by millions of children.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    --Now, of all these countless millions of children, both now and down through the ages, having memorized this verse, how many do you think would understand "whosoever believes in him," to mean "the elect"?
    And how many of those children would think that the world would mean "the elect"?
    "God so loved the elect that he gave his Son (to the elect) that if the elect believe on him they should not perish...

--Do you really believe these millions of children think that the verse means what you teach it to mean? Or now that some of them have believed with their own free will, will they now be condemned to hell because they didn't follow in Calvin's footsteps? Instead they followed in Christ's instead, who said "Come unto me..."

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did you twist what Protestant said? Protestant said you "have difficulty distinguishing grace from justice.
    You spout lies so often. No Calvinist believes that or teaches that. No confession of faith says any such thing. If some obscure person who calls himself a Calvinist says that God is the Author of sin --then that proves they are indeed obscure and certainly are not in the mainstream of Calvinism proper.
    Sorry to disappoint you. God has indeed provided salvation for a select group of individuals --their names, and the names of no one else, are listed in the Lamb's Book of Life. These folks are the elect, the beloved, the Bride, the Church, His very own.
    Protestant said we all deserve eternal condemnation, yet you conclude "thus you are wrong there." How anti-Bible can you get?!
    Well, I didn't have to wait long.

Protestant had said that "the chosen are the recipients of God's grace."

How in the world can you deny that plainly declared biblical truth? Are you maintaining that they are not the recipients of His grace?

Protestant said that "the non-elect are those our sovereign Lord has passed by, not willing to show them saving grace, mercy or compassion."

Now please explain why you do not agree with Romans 9:15,18 and 22.
    Is that your effort to buttress your free-will myth?
    That can only be found in your personal DHK translation, it is not found in the Word of God. Stop making things up. You are desperate to push your free-will junk even at the expense of fabricating what the Bible says.
    A master of exegetical renown has not just spoken.

Free will is not in that text. You are inventing things which a minister of the Word should not do.

That young man was willful, but his will certainly wasn't free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.