1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Bart Ehrman Saved In 'Hodges-Wilkin' Theology?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Maestroh, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Looks like they could be correct, if now he says he doesn't believe, might have mixed him up a little.

2. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

Some Substance In Here

I really don't see anything here with which I disagree. Keep in mind that I do not ascribe to the Hodges-Wilkin nanosecond of 'faith' (whatever they think they mean by that) view and I am interested in what those who do would say about this.

I will throw in with you in agreement here. However - from the GES perspective, he most assuredly WAS and since he WAS, he now IS and will go to Heaven regardless.

He did EXACTLY what they say: he ascribed to the basic facts of the gospel. He believed them. So TO BE CONSISTENT all of the GES folks MUST say Ehrman is a heaven-bound saint.

The reason I brought it up was not to cast damnation onto Dr. Ehrman.

It is one thing to do what the GES does and talk in vague terms about 'this person' or 'person A' failing to perservere and yet being saved.

But once you actually APPLY their system to a known agnostic like Ehrman - then they should have the courage of their convictions.

Or they should admit that their theological paradigm of 'the unbelieving believer' is wrong.

3. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

But There's A Problem There

You have to understand that according to Pope Hodges (sarcasm intended), this passage has NOTHING to do with eternal life. He covers this around page 196 of "Absolutely Free." I'm at work so I don't have the book in front of me, but let me summarize his arguments briefly:

1) This can't mean eternal life because salvation is 'by faith alone.'

2) Only the saved can 'call upon the name of the Lord' (never mind that Peter told the LOST Jews in Acts 2 to do that)

3) Since John's gospel is the only 'evangelistic gospel' and John never mentions confession, then confession CAN'T refer to eternal life.

Why do I say Pope Hodges? Because I recently did a paper on this very passage. Ryrie doesn't even address it in any substantial detail while Wilkin and Dillow both tell the reader to see Hodges' exegesis in "Absolutely Free" as though he's the final word on the subject.

The late S. Lewis Johnson, Jr., who was on staff with Hodges at Dallas Theological Seminary, took him to task over this and called his work 'voodoo exegesis.'

So to a guy in the GES, your quite valid objection carries no weight because that passage doesn't 'really mean' what 'you think' it must mean.

But you, sir, are correct.

4. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

Thank You

That's exactly my point.

5. Maestroh

Maestroh New Member

The Question Is Loaded

As I recall it in "Misquoting Jesus," he had a problem when the whole 'We Are The World' thing went on with justifying how a 'loving God' could allow such suffering as starving in Ethiopia and in the Third World.

He also decided that a 'non-preserved Word' was of necessity 'uninspired.' In essence, he took KJV Onlyism's faulty logic and applied it - backwardly.

My suspicion is that he was like Judas Iscariot, whom Christ called a 'devil' as early as John 6.