1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is "Bibliolater" a Legitimate Term?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This from someone with 1611 in their handle?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

If you scrap "bibliolater", can I still call you an autographolater?

Lacy

PS. Good night all. I'm going to burn incense and candles at my KJV shrine. Ommmmmmmmmm. :D

3. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Ok, even I admit that wasn't funny.

Lacy

4. michelle

michelle New Member

--------------------------------------------------
    It has to hurt God's heart when He sees the sheer stupidity that is being paraded in His churches, all in the name of 'Chis-chi-anity'. When men have taken a stack of pages and turned them into an idol, an idol that is held up before congregation after congregation to be bowed down to. 'Kiss the feet of Baal' has been redefined, and 'Bibliolator' describes the worshipper all too well.

The only idolatry that is being seen on these threads is the idolatry of modern textual critics and their works (faulty based upon their faulty methods, thier own human wisdom and logic and lack of faith in God and his promises and abilities). The idolatry that I witness here with my own two eyes, and to also that which most likely (for I do not know nor presume to know the heart or mind of the Lord) saddens the Lords heart, is that of giving faith to those using the wisdom of man, rather than the wisdom of God and trusting and having faith in God Almighty himself and his promises concerning His very inspired words. The ONLY stupidity that I have witnessed on these boards are those who rather believe the modern biblical scholars and textual critics and their wisdom and words to which are contrary to those of our Lord and his promises. You cannot separate the words of the Lord, with the Lord himself, for the words of the Lord are those to which he has inspired, and to which are those words that are eternal and the very bread of our spiritual life and walk with our Lord Jesus Christ. Without the very words of the Lord, and every one of them, we would have ABSOLUTELY NO WAY OF KNOWING WHO THE LORD IS OR WHAT HIS WILL IS FOR US.

So if you want to continue with the parade and antics of those who only like to cloud this important issue with such childish and unchristian like things such as "labels", go right ahead. You claim you love the word of God. On your statement I have to believe what you have said. However, your actions, words and your stand say otherwise. One who loves the word of God, will stand for it, revere it, and love so much so, they will not be pleased and warn a heed of warning to those things/people who try to or have altered it or questioned it.

If we worship the Lord, and the word of God is how we know the Lord in the first place, and to which the Holy Spirit of God convicts our very hearts of the truth by, to claim that I worship the words of God is speaking the truth. The words of God are the ONLY means by which I can even know who the Lord is, and to what he desires of me, so you could say truthfully that I worship the Lord's words. They are one in the same thing. Is this idolatry? The Lord tells us we must worship the Lord in spirit and in truth. The Lord's words are the truth, and it is the Spirit who gives us and leads us to ALL TRUTH. Jesus Christ is also the truth. He is also the Word of God. You cannot separate the two. If I am guilty of worshipping the words of the Lord, let it be so, but I worship the truth in the Spirit, and this is not idolatry, for idolatry is worshipping anything other than the Lord God Almighty himself.

Are you truly worshipping the Lord? If you think that I am guilty of idolatry for my belief, then you truly have no understanding of the word of God, and therefore, cannot possibly love the word of God as much as you should or say you do, for you lack understanding of it. May the Lord give you understanding.

love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There are a few folkd on this board who became CHristians before they ever cracked open a bible. I've know a few people myself.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    michelle, you are like a nuclear explosion. If it could only be contained and focused what great benefit there could be from it.

The so-called label of “the wisdom of men” which you yourself have coined is in reality a label which both sides of this issue wear.

Don’t you know that the KJV translators of 1611 were all trained and educated in either Roman or Anglo Catholic theology and used tools developed by the same?

Here is the Wisdom of God you speak of…

James 3:17-18
    But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
    And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

Titus 3:2
    To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.

2 Timothy 2:24-26
    And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
    And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

7. michelle

michelle New Member

Good term Br. Bob, it is unfortunate that some have forgotten that it is possible to accept Jesus without ever seeing a bible, whatever translation.

I guess some, as also you, have forgotten what sayeth the scriptures concerning belief and salvation:

Ephesians 1

12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Romans 10

13 For WHOSOEVER SHALL CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED.

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THEM THAT PREACH THE GOSPEL OF PEACE, AND BRING GLAD TIDINGS OF GOOD THINGS!

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah saith, LORD, WHO HATH BELIEVED OUR REPORT?

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes, verily, THEIR SOUND WENT INTO ALL THE EARTH, AND THEIR WORDS UNTO THE ENDS OF THE WORLD.

19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I WILL PROVOKE YOU TO JEALOUSY BY THEM THAT ARE NO PEOPLE, AND BY A FOOLISH NATION I WILL ANGER YOU.

20 But Isaiah is very bold, and saith, I WAS FOUND OF THEM THAT SOUGHT ME NOT; I WAS MADE MANIFEST UNTO THEM THAT ASKED NOT AFTER ME.

21 But to Israel he saith, ALL DAY LONG I HAVE STRETCHED FORTH MY HANDS UNTO A DISOBEDIANT AND GAINSAYING PEOPLE.

The very words of God are the revelation of Jesus Christ himself! How many times did Paul say "it is written"? And how is one to preach the word of God without having knowledge of it? And how does one have knowledge of it, unless God has provided and preserved it?

Love in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour,
    michelle

8. michelle

michelle New Member

The so-called label of “the wisdom of men” which you yourself have coined is in reality a label which both sides of this issue wear.

Don’t you know that the KJV translators of 1611 were all trained and educated in either Roman or Anglo Catholic theology and used tools developed by the same?

I don't look to the wisdom of the KJV translators. I look to and believe what God has provided for me and many others for generations and throughout history through fallible men, with his infallible guidance. I trust God and his promises and works, not man. It might do you and others well to come off of the label "King James" of the Bible, and just call it the Bible, or the word of God, for this is what it is. This label of "King James" is what many have attached to it, which seems to be clouding the minds and thoughts of many on these threads regarding the very words of God.

michelle

9. LauraB

LauraB New Member

I will always defend the KJV of the Bible. It is the true word of God. Yes it was written by man, King James, written on paper, but was copied from the sea scrolls. So even though a man copied it, it still was written by the Finger of God.

Other translations which came out much later has things missing. The Bible says believeth ALL. All the bible, word for word, every word that was written. Do not take out, do not add. Other translations have either add to or taken away or both. Taken out the things they did not like. Add to, to make it say something other than it's original intent.

For one example:

1 Corinthians 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are in God's.

The verse as I have written it from the KJV will not say the same thing in the NIV bible.

Another example:

2 Timothy 3:16
    All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

What does that say? ALL SCRIPTURE!
    Not some, not only the parts you like. ALL scripture.

To read anything other than what God has intended us to read , why bother! I think I will stick to what I know is true and spend my life being condemned for doing so. Why we are know as the freaks, eccentric, weird, etc.... is beyond me. Why we have to fight about it is also beyond me.
    I know we are to get the Gospel message out to the unsaved, we are not suppose to argue about it. We are then to let the Holy Spirit do the job for us. But it is hard to get the Gospel out and quote scripture if your quoting from a Bible where scripture is missing. You are robbing yourself and the unsaved the Full Gospel message.

KJVO and proud of it.

[ June 07, 2004, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: LauraB ]

10. michelle

michelle New Member

What does that say? ALL SCRIPTURE!
    Not some, not only the parts you like. ALL scripture.

To read anything other than what God has intended us to read , why bother! I think I will stick to what I know is true and spend my life being condemned for doing so. Why we are know as the freaks, eccentric, weird, etc.... is beyond me. Why we have to fight about it is also beyond me.
    I know we are to get the Gospel message out to the unsaved, we are not suppose to argue about it. We are then to let the Holy Spirit do the job for us. But it is hard to get the Gospel out and quote scripture if your quoting from a Bible where scripture is missing. You are robbing yourself and the unsaved the Full Gospel message.

To this I say, AMEN!!!!! Laura. Finally someone else who can see and understand this important truth. May the Lord richly bless you and all who read your post.

michelle

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please cite your proof Michelle. I have yet to see a non-KJVO here put complete, uncritical faith in any scholar, their works, their wisdom, or their logic. Yet your whole post rests on the premise that one set of Anglican/Catholic textual critics and scholars got it completely right in every detail... You are indicted by your own false charges.
    Since you have provided no scriptural nor historical evidence that demonstrates that the KJV is "His very inspired words", it is you that is trusting the wisdom of man. The KJV translators, Erasmus, and the other TR editors were men... uninspired men... men who held many doctrines and views that are contrary to fundamental Baptist beliefs.
    How about those that believe the biblical scholars that gave us the KJV? Why is believing in them not contrary to the Lord and His promises?
    Yes you can and the book of John does. It says that Jesus did many things that weren't recorded.

The KJV is not eternal nor is it verbally inspired.
    Thankfully translators throughout history have disagreed with you and given us the WORD OF THE LORD in words that were different from the ones originally inspired.

If my boss gives me a set of instructions then later restates those instructions to someone else with different words and still later speaks them into spanish for another co-worker, we all have received my boss's word although we all received different words. The important thing is that we all received the intent of his message.

As long as a translation accurately and completely transmits God's intended message- it is His Word. Your effort to limit God to one set of English words is ridiculous in the extreme.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Laura dear,

The discoveries of the Dead Sea Scrolls began in 1947.

http://religion.rutgers.edu/iho/dss.html

HankD

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No one would tell you otherwise. The KJV is a good translation. It's the false doctrine of translation-onlyism that is the issue.

Sorry, you're incorrect. The Dead Sea Scrolls are not a literary source for the KJV.

That's debatable. Actually, my NIV has all the same text that the KJV has. If there are differences in source material, the verses in question are retained via footnotes.

To be fair, "scripture" referred to here was referring to the scripture of the OT. The NT had not yet been compiled, and many of the NT books had not yet even been penned. Of course, it's right and proper for the Christian to consider the same for the NT writings, but this verse was not originally intended to point to the NT.
    Then we should be reading Greek and Hebrew.

What about places where scripture is "missing" from the KJV, or where the KJV has "added" verses? Since the source texts of some "modern versions" predate the KJV's source texts by hundreds of years, logic would assert that those older texts carry greater weight than the source texts of the KJV. BTW, the Dead Sea Scrolls tend to support "MV" source texts.
    Nothing in your arguement lends any support whatsoever to the idea of single-translation-onlyism. It lends credence to the authority of one set of source texts over another, but that is a different issue than the issue of translation. The fact that you claim the the KJV was translated from the Dead Sea Scrolls leaves your knowlege of the topic suspect.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only in your mind and thoughts michelle as “it” has had this title worldwide since 1611 when it was “authorized” by the King of England to be “read in the Churches”.

IMO it is you who have “clouded” (to use your own ad hominem attack word) with this ruse and I believe you know better.

BTW I also call “it” the Bible and/or the Word of God without explanation when in the company of those who do not follow after the KJVO error.

But then again I say the same for the NASB, NKJV.

HankD

15. michelle

michelle New Member

The KJV is not eternal nor is it verbally inspired.
    quote:

You are correct. The name "King James Version" is not verbally inspired, but the words of God/scripture of it are!

As long as a translation accurately and completely transmits God's intended message- it is His Word. Your effort to limit God to one set of English words is ridiculous in the extreme.

The words of God disagree with your above false statement: as the word of God continually reminds us "it is written" and "ALL SCRIPTURE IS GIVEN BY INSPIRATION OF GOD". Not to mention the fact that Biblical prophecies are reliant and dependant for our understanding to be EVERY WORD OF GOD and not just the message. Just take a look at all the messianic prophecies, and then tell me only the message is important, and not every word of God. ARe you calling Jesus Christ a liar, when He claims that man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God? Or when he tells us that not one jot, or one tittle shall pass from the law, until all be fulfilled? Has all prophecy been fulfilled? Is Jesus Christ lying to us concerning his words, and every single one of them? I do not believe he was lying, for Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour, He is the way, the truth and the life, and no one comes unto the Father, but by him.

michelle

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It was not written in English, nor was it given by inspiration of God in English. Those verses do not in any way support the false doctrine of single-translationism.

17. michelle

michelle New Member

That's debatable. Actually, my NIV has all the same text that the KJV has. If there are differences in source material, the verses in question are retained via footnotes.

The NIV does not have ALL the same text as the KJV has, and FOOTNOTES are not scripture and the source material you speak of are old manuscripts that are viewed as more reliable because they are "older" and most likely more accurate (assumptions based upon the wisdom of man and lacking in faith in God's promise of preservation for EVERY GENERATION and the evidence thereof) - even though they differ from the scriptures that the churches throughout history have believed, lived and preached, and to which God has kept preserved. The NIV is a counterfit, and shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole.

michelle

18. michelle

michelle New Member

To be fair, "scripture" referred to here was referring to the scripture of the OT. The NT had not yet been compiled, and many of the NT books had not yet even been penned. Of course, it's right and proper for the Christian to consider the same for the NT writings, but this verse was not originally intended to point to the NT.

If you consider the NT to which is the very gospel accounts, and the book of Revelation, and the epistles to the churches and the order of the churches, to not be held to the same standard as the Old Testament, then your faith is in vain. And you are WRONG that this verse is speaking ONLY of the Old Testament scriptures. That verse states ALL SCRIPTURE, to which includes the New Testament text, to which is the life, death and resurrection of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and the witnesses to Him. It is the New Covenant and is also just as authoritative and just as inspired and to also what this verse is referring to and to which is also the very words of God!

michelle

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

How do you know? You've never even cracked open an NIV. Places where there are source text differences are all included. The footnotes will say something like "text A reads, xxxx", "text B reads". The NIV is the most inclusive translation out there, since it contains material from multiple sources.

As far as "footnotes not being scripture", neither are chapter numbers and verse divisions. They're devised by man, not divinely inspired.

Still, you're using a source text arguement to support a translation-onlyist view. What about places where the KJV differs from its own source text? Would you favor the source text, or the KJV?

I need to remember this the next time you while and moan that the KJV is "attacked". Looking at this post, it's clear that the only attacking that's done is by your own unscriptural views.

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How long, then, must the pole be?