1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Boycotting Effective?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by bb_baptist, Dec 26, 2001.

1. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

Smoke

I don't have any particular facts of why I feel it is unchristlike, I just personally believe that way is all.

karen

2. Vicki

Vicki New Member

To Redwhitenblue:

For me personally, I don't feel it is unchristian-like to participate in a boycott. For example, see James 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. However,...I agree with you TOTALLY about prayer. James 5:16 The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
    God bless
    --- Vicki

3. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

Vicki I don't think that verse has anything to do with boycotting. Many of times christians get so hung up on proving a "supposed godly point" they go to far in boycotting...sorry, this is just my personal opinion.

karen

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

It's not about proving a point, it's about being a good steward with your money and deciding what your money is going to be used for.

I mentioned earlier that we boycotted Ben & Jerry's for their underwriting of Wesley Cook's legal defense.

The truth is, as much as I disagree with their doing so, I'll defend to the death their right to do it but that doesn't mean I have to help them do it.

Mike

5. UncleRay

UncleRay New Member

The occasions where boycotting has been effective several factors seem to be in place:

1. The companies product can easily be replaced. Highly competetive area. I agree that major corporation pay alot of attention to 1 or 2%. That much can make or break a career.
    2. Easy to boycott. (see #1)
    3. Social prestigue for participating.

Proctor and Gamble corporate symbol with the moon and stars some groups decided was satanic. P&G denied it quickly but the logo is only used internally now. Soaps very competative.

Coke and One of the oil companies accused of racism. The fact that Coke was one of the most progressive major corps in the nation meant nothing when they were being blackmailed by Rev. Jesse. It's just as easy to Pepsi Please.

Boycott of grapes some years back. Caesar Chavez called a boycot of nonunion grapes. So you buy plums and consider yourself a social activist.

The Disney boycot didn't work partially because they have a unique product that is not easily replaced. If your kid has been wanting to go to Disneyland for years and you opt to go to Gators R Us or Two Flags Over Tulsa instead..... You have a problem.

If a hot movie is out, you want to see that show not anyother movie at the Cinema 6. Also the people wanting to boycott Disney movies are out of the target audience. Those who yelled the most hadn't been inside a movie theater since that show about the African boy who had a Coke bottle dropped on his head ten or fifteen years ago.

The only products I've ever boycotted were two entertainers. One was Jane Fonda because she is a traitor. I love her acting.

The other is a singer who was always spouting the PETA line. I am a beef producer.

Fonda has not had to go to work at McDonalds. The other singer happens to be gay. That was not part of my boycott. She has had a few problems because of that but I think she is still doing well.

As for K Mart. Have you ever enjoyed shopping there?

Grace and peace,
    Uncle Ray

6. Vicki

Vicki New Member

Thank you smoke_eater -- you said it better than I could in response to redwhitenblue's comment about my post. Karen, I respect the opinion you made and was just saying that, for me personally, I don't feel it is unchristian-like to participate in a boycott (for me personnally). What I mean by James 5:20 was just one explanation as to why I feel that way. For example, a boycott on Disney (to me) would state that I am expressing my beliefs about homosexuality being a sin because that is what my God says, etc. and I am pointing out the error of the way of this company in promoting such. In return, my family decides not to use our money to help finance them. I'm not promoting boycotting that goes to the extreme.

God bless,
    --Vicki

7. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

That's fine Vic,I suppose my stand would just be very different. I don't support boycotting places who hire gays and offer them insurrance because they too just like anyone else need to make a living no matter if we agree with their lifestyles or not. Everyone of course is entitled to take their own stand, I just don't agree with the boycotting from a personal stand point.

karen

8. Heathen

Heathen Guest

I think that the main reason boycotts fail is because people today are used to "instant gratification." If we look back far enough, which isn't really all that far, we will find a VERY effective boycott. Think Martin Luther King and the bus boycott. Sure, it took something like a year, but it was highly effective. What is needed is persistence. So, who's up for a good boycott?