1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is breaking the ten comandments legal in the US?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I was thinking on the way home from work today just how many of the ten commandments are legal to break in the US.

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Let's see, this one seems to not only be legal to break, it is usually protected by "law"

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God.....

Graven images aren't really in style but this commandment is violated all the time legally.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

This of course is "free speech" but please don't call a black man the "N" word.

4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

No one even thinks about this one anymore.

5. Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Parents are almost universally dishonored in movies and of course in real life. Parents can be prosecuted for discipline.

6. Thou shalt not kill

Millions of babies and people like Terrie Shiavo. Need I say more?

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

I believe that this is still illegal in some states but it is universally ignored.

8. Thou shalt not steal.

Now you would think surely this one was still enforced, but tell that to the Hurst Bean company in Indianapolis. Their family owned business is having part of their property (in the family for over a century) taken away by the fascist union of the City of Indianapolis and the Indianapolis Colts football team.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

This of course NEVER happens :) Seriously a friend of mine was recently the victim of false witness.

10. Thou shalt not covet......

Not only can you covet, see #8 and you can even take it if you are privileged.

So there you have it, all ten of the commandments can be broken in one way or another, legally, in the good old US of A.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Thus proving this is not a theocracy! :)

3. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Offhand, I think that "false witness" may be the most prohibited. There have always been laws against libel and slander, so long as the aggrieved is willing to take it to court. But moreso these days when everybody has a chip on his shoulder and considers himself immune to anyone saying anything "offensive." If it offends someone, then it is considered incorrect and is prohibited.

On the other hand, if a case goes to court, the lawyers are then paid to do as much false witnessing as they can without technically violating the law. You who have been in real court know what I mean.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Yes, a friend in my church was just the victim of false witness.

He had asked started to ask some people to quit smoking next to his kids at the county fair....the people got rather nasty with him so he took his family and left.
    Cops showed up and the other people said it was HE that had caused the trouble and that he had assaulted him.
    Anyway, it went to trial and I was not there but I was told there were 5 witnesses, each of whom gave a different story.
    He was not convicted of assault but he was convicted of disorderly conduct.

When you have five different testimonies, obviously SOMEONE is guilty of false witness.

Also, TV, the news, ads etc are full of false witness.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

And people think a theocracy would be a bad thing....

If we were truly one nation under God, we wouldn't have these problems.

The problem with so called theocracy is the theo part; which God is represented?
    If theocracy means we are a nation governed by the law of God then it is fine.

If theocracy is being governed by what a pope or something like that says is law, then we have a problem.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Is 'breaking' the Ten Commandments 'legal' in the US?

"Shore looks like it!", as we say in the hills of KY!

Any question about "false witness"?

Just listen to any politician! :rolleyes:

Ed

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Especially near election time with their TV ads!

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then you need to get to know Senator Grassley.

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Not necessarily. I'm offended by profanity and especially the use of God or Jesus Christ in improper ways, but do you think it's done much good to complain? I'm offended by the putrid stanch of ANY tobacco, but how far do you think it's gotten me to complain?

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Seems that Jesus was too.

11. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Sure we would. It's the faith and beliefs of individual people that matter, not the laws of the land. How did the laws of Israel under Roman occupation negatively impact Christ and His deciples?

12. Pete

Pete New Member

13. His Blood Spoke My Name

Since God set forth the Ten Commandments and God's Word overrides any man-made law, breaking the Ten Commandments is illegal anywhere no matter what man says.

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

This is not an example of a godly theocracy. Following Gods precepts as a matter of law during King Davids' time wasnt as with the Pharisees.

15. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Agreed!

I can't think of a much worse government than a Theocracy, at least in this world. I think the Old Testament shows that this form of government doesn't work well at all.

16. benz

benz New Member

Theocratic government....

Well I think a theocratic government would be good but it would not be effective due to man's fallen nature. I think this would infringe on mankind's freewill. I am however all for the theocratic government of Christ .:jesus: This is because there wont be any curroption or any 'favouritism' for certain individuals and only christ can enforce the proper punishment for the crime commited!

Praise God and have a good week.