1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is calvinism devilish doctrine?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

This was posted concerning calvinism and so called "reformed Catholics"

The idea was that sermonaudio.com is full of devilish calvinistic and "reformed catholic" doctrine.

Well, I do not believe that it is devilish doctrine but I will say this:
    I would rather believe in the reformed (Biblical) doctrine of calvinism that the UNreformed Roman Catholic doctrine of free will.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

What do these men/women reveal about themselves when they use such rhetoric about and against the elect of God? It has me concerned for them. Was this posted on these forums? I am sure this is not the type of dialogue the forum seeks to foster.

Reformed catholic doctrine...that's funny. A new one to me...lol

3. Mr.M

Mr.M New Member

Or you can understand that there are more than two theological choices. But I suspect you do so please receive that in general and not specifically to you. :thumbs:

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Dale-c, only those who do not really understand Calvinism would make such remarks.

2. Calvinism can be summed up in one line: "Salvation is of the Lord" (Jonah 2:9).

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Well said
    Yes it was on the BB but I didn't want to hijack the thread it was on so I started a new one.

6. ReformedBaptist

I suppose its one thing to say the theology is of man, or man's reasoning or idea. It is entirely another IMO to say it is a doctrine of demons. Scary stuff to say that of the doctrines of grace.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I agree. At least they should show why..

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a non-Calvinist, I do not believe that Calvinism is devilish or demonic in any way. I believe that it is a flawed understanding of soteriology, but it is not as flawed as some other systems (in particular, Pelagianism).

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. And you are certainly entitled to your evaluation of Calvinism.

2. As you know, as Calvinists, we see the Doctrines of Grace as affirming: "Salvation is of the Lord." What about that is flawed?

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Thank you.

2. I believe the same. "Salvation is of the Lord" does not necessarily equal Calvinism.

3. Calvinism is a bit too deterministic for my tastes. I'm more of a compatibilist myself, which is probably odd for a non-Calvinist, but it makes more sense to me.

11. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Woah. Gotta be careful about characterizing various positions as "devilish" or assuming that the idea of "free will" comes from the Roman Catholic church!

I hold to free will. I also firmly hold to election, and not just God knowing who will trust in Him, but actually selecting those whom He will save.

Now I do not hold to some of the points of the TULIP. But to say that this doctrine is devilish is ridiculous. IMO Reformed believers often have a strong grip on their theology. I may not agree with them, but they typically are prepared to defend their theology.

And one can certainly be Catholic and saved as well. It is all a matter of faith in Christ alone. Oh, I've been accused as being semi-pelagianist as well. What people are doing is saying that if you are not Reformed, then you must believe this or that and hence you hold to salvation by works or some such other empty claim. Rather than characterize people based on their labels, let's consdier what they actually believe.

FA

#11 Faith alone, Aug 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2007
  12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

An encouraging response, I would say. But it would be good to have you as a convinced five-point Calvinist. :laugh:

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I didn't mean to offend anyone with that statement. I was merely pointing out that the catholic position is that of free will. It was a response to the derogatory way we were called "reformed Catholics" my response was to say that at least we are reformed. Many "free willers" need to reform.

Just out of curiosity, how to you balance free will with God's election?

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I will begin with a biblical view of man: the bible describes man as dead, blinded and hardened by sin. Furthermore, the bible says that the unregenerate man cannot please God, is hostile toward God, does not seek God (Rom 8:7, 9; 3:11, 12.

2. Man is "free" but only to engage in his active rebellion, but he's not free to choose God, because such is against his nature.

3. Therefore, God must draw man to himself through his sovereign grace, and thereby, breaking the bonds that kept man's will in bondage to sin (John 6:35-37, 44, 45, 65).

15. npetreley

npetreley New Member

A monergistic doctrine is "devilish", but a doctrine that adds man to salvation is Godly? Someone needs to explain that logic to me.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

oh, the irony!

17. ReformedBaptist

Perhaps if you act as a Christian someone might give you a response.

18. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

Yeah, well sola scriptura is about the best you're gonna do at this point. (Never say never. :rolleyes:)

I think we would all do well to understand other positions than our own.

FA

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and please explain how adding man's faith is NOT monergistic...if God in deed decided on this?

20. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

For all you concerned Calvs out there... twas I. Now you can pray for me... or consider my actions predetermined.... either way.

Dale-c: You have permission to use my name with my posts if you so desire. No harm, no foul.