1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Calvinism "mainly" a Sotierology System Of Theology?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Let's play "identify the source of the quote" for a bit... :laugh:

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

that is the version that i read while in college...
    Mine was a 2 volume set....

Know need to go back and reread it throughly, as mine was indeed 'skimming" to prepare for testing!

4. JesusFan

just curious, how would you see that being found at least as a possibility in calvinism?

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :confused:
    Are you asking me how I can possibly see a comparison between the dispensationalists’ view of the predetermination that “all Israel (meaning pedigreed Jews) will be saved” to that of the Calvinists’ view of the predetermined election of (specially pre-selected) individuals is alike? I would ask you to think about that first before asking, again: “how I would see a possibility comparison between the two views”. Hint; it has to do with “predetermined selection” of people for salvation and how the two views line up “nicely” together in that way.... frankly, I think it should be obvious how "I see" that comparison being found if you think about it before asking....Just sayin.

#85 Benjamin, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
  6. JesusFan

I have never heard the term "pedigreed jew" used before!
    We do not hold that all jews will be saved due to being in Old Covenant relationship with God, any jew saved by God since pentacost has come through jesus and the Cross, its just that we hold that ALL jews still alive at his second Coming will be saved that day!

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

According to the Dispensationalist interpretation of Rom 11:26 …on what basis?...OIOW’s Just how? when? and why? Will all Israel (Jews) be saved "if" not according to “predetermined pedigree”? Or are you suggesting to me their (Jews) salvation is based on a current…freewill…. “relationship” instead of a predetermined election.

8. JesusFan

saying that both jews and gentiles that are saved by God are elcted out by Him, based upon His Will, and placed by Him to Body of Christ, effectually graced there by Cross of Christ...

So in THIS present Age of Grace, both come through same means/way, based NOT upon jewishness, but upon the election Will of God...

When jesus comes back to earth, then the Kingdom will be granted to national isreal,jews, and those at that generation will all be saved by being "pedigreed" into the Kingdom by having God fulfilled Jeremiah, Zacheriah, acts, romans etc prophetic promises to them!

9. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If you say so...:rolleyes:;)

10. JesusFan

just curious...

how would you say so?

11. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Election based on freewill faith, not on predetermined election of the specially preselected few. :cool:

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Funny how no one jumped at the chance to guess the quote I posted above.

Same guy wrote this:

13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I thought it was obviously Jean Calvin. Your quote here is from his commentary on 1 Peter.

Sorry thought someone else would reply.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

But is Calvin's response surprising to anyone here?

It should be, for it is not the stereotype painted of his stance.

15. JesusFan

But are all free to accept and become the elect, or just a selected out group?

Does God grace enable ALL the means to receive jesus and become elected, or do we all have that capability"naturally?"

16. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point of discussion and which I was addressing had to do with a deterministic comparison between Calvinism and Dispensationalism which apparently you have evaded to acknowledge that simple point. On that note, I do not have the time to take a never ending circular course around your whole theological system as you try to direct the discussion down different paths while looking for cover and to see if I can pull you out of every rabbit hole you find along the way. Even if I did you would soon enough head down the same path again and jump back into the same hole as if we had never gone down that path before. ;)

But to answer the above before leaving this; every man is genuinely offered the gift of grace (and therefore must have ability to respond) and every man will be held accountable for his own actions (none will have an excuse not to recieve Jesus and become elected), for God is righteous, Only Good and all His ways are justice. Deut 32:4.

17. JesusFan

maybe because in church, every question seems like answer is 'jesus", while here, unless its a bible quote, answer is "calvin?"

18. JesusFan

IF we stick on the contrast between cal and Dispy for now though...

isn't it true that cal sets election on an individual basis for salvation, while Dispy itself set forth more of a "corpate" election as regards to a "faithful remnant" of jewish believers, who were elcted by God in Christ?

#98 JesusFan, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2011