1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is carnal christianity biblically correct?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SovereignGrace, Sep 4, 2015.

1. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wonderful! :thumbsup: :wavey:

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are all still fleshly. We have to fight the flesh every minute of every day. This body of ours has not yet received any measure of redemption as of yet. The moment we fail whether for a few seconds, hours, days etc we are walking in the flesh. God would not have a need to correct us if we only ever walked in the flesh briefly.

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we do not walk in the flesh. We are not carnal. Paul made it clear that "if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature" (2 Cor. 5:17). The passage goes on to say that "old things have passed away. Behold, all things are new." John says that we are in the light. Not temporarily in the light, but in a state of being in the light (1 John 1:5-7). We walk in the light.

All of this does not mean that a Christian cannot sin Right after he talks about being in the light, John reminds his readers that they sin (1 John 1:8). There is a battle between the new nature and deeds of the old nature. The problem we, as Christians have, is that our minds have been trained by sin. While we are new creatures, we also have a mind that fights against our new nature. Theologically speaking we are no longer sinners and we no longer walk in darkness, but practically speaking our mind rebels against our new nature. That is why I believe that a Christian cannot be carnal, although he can commit deeds that are carnal in nature.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you are purporting is that we must live in absolute perfection. Being new creatures does not have to mean not ever walking in the flesh. It does mean we are now indwelt with the HG and we cannot live in sin in the way we once did. Paul himself said he was the chief of sinners.

I see this part contrary to what was first quoted. What does that mean "theologically"? Are you referencing our eternal and justified position in Christ. That fact does not keep us from being carnal minded.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That should have been your first clue...

Christians are kata pneuma........not kata sarka

5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit

8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

There are only two people...of the flesh
    of the Spirit

6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

#45 Iconoclast, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2015
  6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Revmitchell

We are still in a body of flesh,yes.....

That is why we are commanded to Mortify all known sin....

13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

from preceptaustin;

#46 Iconoclast, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2015
  7. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am just repeating myself at this point.

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    continued;

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

NO! Not continually! Though a Christian may live a sinful lifestyle for a period since Scripture tells us:

Revelation 3:19. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Hebrews 12:8. But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :wavey::wavey:

11. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is none on here better than his brother... We all walk with feet of clay and when we fall and we all do, remember these verses from Luke.

Luke 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

15:10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth... Brother Glen

12. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, it's here, THICK.

So you say. Let's apply your treatment of John's epistle to Solomon.

Heaven or hell? Where's he at?

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ultimately, it's the same error that most make, Evangelical or Puritan. You insert eternal consequences into passages where it's not the intention.

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You pretty much speak my mind except for this 'period' thing.

I think most miss the truth that returning to a sinful lifestyle, losing THE JOY of one's eternal salvation, is punishment/reaping in itself.

#54 kyredneck, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2015
  15. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Solomon was in different circumstances than a person this side of Pentecost. The Spirit had not been given in an indwelling manner.

I imagine he is alive in Christ, but I have no way of knowing. His body is in the grave (Sheol - sometimes translated, "hell") until the resurrection.

16. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And by doing that, they are teaching (whether implicitly or explicitly) that only good people can have eternal life.

It takes all the focus off Christ and puts the burden upon a man to work for his eternal life

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

It is my belief, based on my experience as a "True Believer, a Saint" that the "true believer" will likely sin on a daily basis.

It is also my belief that a "Saint" who lives a lifestyle that holds the Church up to shame should be excluded from the Church as the Apostle Paul advises in 1 Corinthians 5.

That being said I also believe that a "Saint" who continually lives a sinful lifestyle, bringing reproach to the Name of Jesus Christ, may be taken out of this world. I realize that the Scripture to support this belief is sparse in the New Testament.

18. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the context refers to the fact we are still in fallen flesh, the answer is yes. For those who doubt this...fast, you will soon learn the truth of the sway your flesh has over you.

If the context means that one can be a Christian and sin willfully, the answer might still be yes, because the same principle applies...we are still in fallen flesh and it is not until we begin to mature in Christ that we learn to master the flesh. I think most of us to some point still yield to fleshly desires from time to time, though as we grow those desires give place to a yearning to be more in the will of God. I also think that our daily conversation has a direct impact on how well we master the flesh, meaning, for myself, when I am immersed in the Word of God I tend to have better self control, and when circumstances make it difficult to be daily involved my walk is not as good.

If the context means one can sin willfully without consequence, the answer is no: all sin has consequence, and not just for us, but for those around us.

God bless.

19. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

They can and do walk in sin in fact they are eternally rewarded for that walk.

notice verse 15 some believers will recieve nothing but wood, hay and stubble for not accomplisihng any good work, yet so they will be saved yet so and by or through the fire which tries thweir works as they stand before Christ at the BEMA seat judgment.

But we see too Paul in verse 17 says if we defile the temple of the Holy spirit that is continually defile it God will destroy that temple.

At some point the carnal Christian who doesn't repent of his sin after having been saved will be taken out by means of the sin unto death. Satan will be given free reign by god to destroy such a person by any means he decides. I believe it will be a long drawn out excruciating death. they can walk in sin as a carnal Christian as long as God allows them too, the chastening will be upon them until they are turned over to satan once that happens then they are going to have their flesh destroyed but the spirit will be saved when Christ returned for His Bride the Church and they will receive the wood, hay and stubble for their eternal rewards. Which will be consumed in the testing of the fire but the soul will be saved yet so as by fire.

20. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The writer of Hebrews states this:

"Take heed brethren", who are the brethren he is referring to? That would be saved brethren although the book was written to the Jews of the church who were saved by the way. Notice he says that we as brethren are to heed his writings so that we don't develop an evil heart of unbelief, that is not trusting God in our daily walk. He says these brethren could depart from the living God. Very clear a believer can stray and stop serving God. Otherwise the writer is teaching a loss of salvation and we know what Jesus stated in:

The Lord Jesus Christ made it really clear HE and the Father Hold us tight once we have become His by Faith and calling upon Him. So the writer of Hebrews is clearly stating that believers can develop an evil heart and stray from God and Christ, even though they have the Holy spirit indwelling them.

Notice verse 18 we are commanded to be filled with the Spirit. If we were constantly filled with the Spirit then we would have no need to be commanded too would we? So the moment we sin we are no longer filled withthe Holy Spirit, we remain indwelt because our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, but He is not in control of our lives, sin is we are either filled with sin that is under the influence and control of sin or we are under the influence or control of the Holy Spirit as believers. So a believer either walks carnally in sin or spiritually being filled with the Holy Spirit!