1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Catholicism a "pre- school" for JW's?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Boanerges, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Seems like every Jehovah's witness that I meet is a former Catholic. What has been your experience?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let me guess - you don't live in the south!

3. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed New Member

I read somewhere about JWs that RCs account for approx. 70% of the membership.

Not suprising though, considering the majority of Catholics neither read the Bible or understand its precepts. Unfortunately, they are easy prey for the sway of cults.

Ray [​IMG]

4. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Many Catholics like the JW movement, because after being beat up for most of their early Catholic years with the threat of eternal hellfire and an angry works oriented "God", the can move onto a faith that teaches no eternal hell, and a works oriented "God". :confused:

They are also so sick of the crucifix images, that the "execution stake" concept becomes a welcome relief.

5. mioque

mioque New Member

Well, the Jehovah's Witnesses are an ofshoot of Seventh Day Adventism....

:cool:

6. Boanerges

Boanerges New Member

Are SDA's an offshoot of seventh day Baptists?

7. mioque

mioque New Member

The Seventh Day Adventists coagulated out of a number of denominations. Among them Baptists, Methodists and Presbyterianism. Sabbathkeeping was probably adopted from the Seventh Day Baptists, a group that originated in the 17th century.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I know a lot of Baptists and Presbyterians who are former Catholics as well. I know some Baptists who are former Presbys, and some Presbys who are former Baptists.

So I don't think former religious affiliation is a correlation to anything concrete.

9. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed New Member

You mean the 'torture' not execution stake. ;)

The JW's have flip-flopped on their theology over the years. Previously they taught Jesus died on a cross (and had pictures depicting such) They also believed, at one time, that Jesus was worthy of worship as Jehovah's 'Chief Agent', etc.

Ray [​IMG]

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So many Mormons are former Catholics and Southern Baptists.

Those who know their Bible don't get sucked into those cults.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True - but look at other non-RC organizations like Baptists and SDAs etc and ask them as well - "when some converts from another religion to being a Baptist - what is the predominant faith they come from?" -- it is RC.

What this board should be asking - is "What is the gap in Baptist mindset that allows a Baptist to become RC"?

I don't worry at all about the large influx of RC members into the various non-RC churches -- the real issue is that the RC faith is by far the largest single Christian group in the US even though this was not the case at the start.

It is 'easier' to discount them in the South - but that is not the case in th mid-Atlantic states or the north east or the west.

This board should find ways to "prime" Baptists to deal with RC arguments in an open and informed format that is not "tuned for error" as you would find in Catechism or an RC-only board.

It should be "required reading" and RC members should be allowed to post their beliefs here.

Vaccination comes to mind.

In Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It may well be that the RC growth in the US is due primarily to immigigration from all RC zones like Latin America and Europe -- but I suspect that the conversion rate from Baptist to RC for example is pretty high as well. (Certainly higher than I would prefer to see.)

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not in the strictest sense. Rachael Oaks was a Seventh-day Baptist attending an Adventist (Sunday keeping as they were at that time) church.

The sermon that Sunday was on the authority and importance of God's Ten Commandments. She spoke to the pastor after the sermon about the fact that his emphasis on the Ten Commandments (Similar to the one that D.L. Moody placed on them in his famous sermon) was not compatible with the fact that they were breaking the 4th commandment. That one church in New England changed and eventually the entire group changed over to Sabbath keeping.

I don't think this qualifies as an "offshoot of Seventh-day Baptists" since they never were actual Seventh-day Baptists to start with. But we certainly owe the Seventh-day Baptists a great debt of gratitude for their missionary spirit and willingness to share the truth of God's Word.

In Christ,

Bob

14. standingfirminChrist

Worshipping the Lord in the sanctuary on a Sunday is not breaking the Sabbath. Sunday is the first day of the week, not the seventh. The seventh day was to be a day of rest unto the Lord.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1. - I agree that worshipping on week-day-1 or Tuesday or Wednesday does not break the 4th commandment.

As for your comment about God "making the day for nobody but Himself" are you saying it was "MADE for Godkind (Trinity) not mankind"??? (No matter what Mark 2:27 says??)

God "made the day for Himself to rest"??

In the "details of the text" of Gen 2:3 and Exodus 20:8-11 we see that "God Blessed and Sanctified the day BECAUSE He rested". You seem to propose that "He rested BECAUSE He blessed and sanctified the day".

Details -- details.

In any case - the Sunday keeping Adventists eventually came to the conclusion that Rachael Oaks - the Seventh-day Baptist visitor attending their church - was right. (I suppose they "could" have chosen to attack her beliefs and accuse her of judging them -- instead.)

In Christ,

Bob