1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Conservatism Brain-Dead?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not always agree with Buckley, but I always knew he was intelligent. I cannot say that for the current talking heads ................ in fact I doubt they would have understood Buckley. He did use big words ............

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The neocons have taken over the conservative movement in America.

3. targus

targus New Member

When speaking of the "current talking heads" in this regard no doubt you are including the liberals too- are you not?

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Oh nooooo....they are intellectuals. :rolleyes:

Pelosi, Frank, Reid, Obama et al...

Again: :rolleyes:

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The irony of the conservative movement is that it has believed it needs media time to have legitimacy. As a result (and as Ken mentioned well) there is nary a true conservative to be found in prolific discussions about our country. Its all a bunch of tv grubbing fools who have given over the precious ideological ground.

Of course conservatives haven't done themselves much favor. Does anyone seriously think Sarah Palin is a legitimate candidate for dog-catcher much less the highest office in the land. Where are the true conservatives talking about how she is deeply dangerous and absolutely not what we need for the country?

Imho, conservative (true conservativism) is a profoundly robust intellectual position...but no one is taking it on seriously. Maybe there are a couple of handfuls in Congress, but not enough to mount a serious campaign for legitimacy.

And the RNC has no desire to hear their voices.

We need a third party that represents the true conservatives in this nation. We need to talk about why reading F.A. Hayek is important, why Reagan was the greatest President of last (and this) century, why we need to reduce, drastically the size of the federal government, why states rights is the way of the Founders, etc.

I think Buckley is dead on. Right now too much of what represents conservativism is brain-dead. We need a rebirth of this ideology and push the debate back to where it belongs. :)

6. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Hahahaha. Stop it please, you're killing me commie.
    "Big words." Hahahaha

Since no one else here has shown you what an American is, allow me to try.

An American works hard.
    An American has a dream.
    An American starts his/her own company with his/her own money. (Not the governments.)
    An American hires other Americans, (and LEGAL immigrants), thus creating jobs.
    An American profits by making a product/service that other Americans, (or world-wide), other people in other countries want.
    An American makes a profit, not only benefiting his/her own family, but all of the peoples families that he employs.
    An American then tries to keep the government/liberals (who only understand small words)/ and other leeches from draining the business he/she made with undue taxes that hinder and in general, procecute the idea that money made from hard work and the sweat of the brow, so that they may make a decent, legal way of life.
    An American then tries to stop commies/liberals/and other leeches from the taking of force of their hard earned dollars to give to others that do not/won't work
    An American gives freely to those that need a hand up. Not to anyone that wants a hand-out.
    Thanks for playing. (Re-start?, Load?, Quit?)

7. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

Shouldn't this be in the politics forum? Seems like someone just posted it here to get a bit larger audience to me. Could a moderator please move it?

8. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

That's funny.
    Liberalism- a belief that others beliefs should be at least listened to, with an open mind.
    Liberalism in real life- a mind so open that the brains slip out and all rational thought escapes.:laugh:

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So tell us why is she so dangerous?

10. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a concept that has been bandied around much lately, but I have yet to see any concrete reasons for it; lots of opinions and snide remarks, but nothing concrete.

I too would like to hear the rationale - who knows, maybe you can convince me. I think a lot of this gal, but, as of now anyway, I don't see her as the R candidate in '12.

Apparently the liberals do though, cause they are vilifying her as if she already has the nomination - I do believe they are far more scared of her than they are willing to admit.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Libbies say it about every conservative. You would think it would get old and they would look fro a new retarded adhominem.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably watched to much SNL

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I concur with preachinjesus' earlier comment. True conservativism is by nature an intellectual position, but it is not taken seriously. The lack of neoconservatism to successfully handle the issues of the country has led many to align themselves with moderate to hard core liberalism. The blame for concervatism's failure to be taken seriously lies with conservativsm itself. If conservatism wants to be taken seriously, it needs to return to its core intellectual roots, which was last evident in the Reagan era.

14. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

You could be describing Olbermann, Maddow, Bill Maher et al.

In what way was Barack Obama more qualified? Oh that's right, I forgot the superior temperament thing.

15. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Push the debate back to where it belongs.
    Uhuh.