1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is depression sin?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by John3v36, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Phillip, I don't thing bad thigns about you. I think you have not yet wrestled with the theological ramifications of this topc. That is not bad. It is something that you simply need to do.

Second, with respect your comments about sin and salvation, quite frankly, what you said made no sense at all. For you to think that I would deal with sin without deealing with salvation first is ludicrous. I would have thought that to be common sense. But you specifically ruled out dealing with sin, saying instead you would deal with salvation. YOu said Salvation is more important than dealing with their sin. Theologically, that is an impossibility, which leads me to what I said about you not wrestling with this issue and therefore not qualified to address it. I know that is a strong statement, but it is one you need to wrestle with biblically.

I notice you still didn't answer my question about the diagnosis of clinical depression. Why? Taht seems like a simple straightforward question.

Thirdly, and lastly, you want to talk about the electro chemical causes of clinical depression and are willing to pull out your biology books to do so. But the fact remains that such a cause cannot be determined. You yourself admitted that. It is surmised because when you administer certain drugs, the symptoms leave. But that does not mean that the drugs administered addressed a known chemical deficiency. That is the problem. You want to say that most clinical depression (if not all perhaps) is physical. Yet you can't prove that. You can't argue that from actual clinical studies. And you, so far, can't tell us which of hte diagnostic criteria is never related to sin, and in fact comes only from the electro-chemical activity. Doesn't that strike you are glaringly insufficient? Drugs give relief. Does it actually address the problem? You don't actually know that, because you don't know what the problem actually is.

There are a lot of holes in your theory that you should really spend some time thinking through to a greater level, rather than giving the old pat answers.