1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Divorce a Sin?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by AdoptedDaughter, May 20, 2003.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm just surprised we're at 7 pages ;)

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

1. I did not forget that at all. Since Jesus was interpreting the Law, that was what allowed the exception. Read also Matthew 19. Moses allowed the divorce. Christ went back to Gen. 2:24.

2. No he didn't. He did say that sexual immorality was allowable. Since he was referring to the Law though, it is irrelevant to you and me. We do not live under the Law. Do you want to get your permission from the Law?

3. I am not having a difficulty grasping anything. You are trying to say that the marriage covenant is broken by sex outside of marriage. That is totally unprovable and ridiculous if you consider where such a position will take you.

4. You limit it to the two options of condoning her sin, or divorcing her.

5. You do not unconditionally love her. Otherwise, you would not have divorced her (since that is the result of a hard heart according to Christ in Matthew 19).

6. Where do you get such an idea? The marriage covenant exists until one of the party dies. That takes into account all passages. Conditional? You promised to love for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, until death do us part. Either you are going back on your word, or you never really meant those words.

7. It is your interpretation that is off, not Christ.

8. I was pointing out the folly of you trying to compare yourself to God in divorce.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Since Jesus was interpreting the Law, that was what allowed the exception. Read also Matthew 19. Moses allowed the divorce. Christ went back to Gen. 2:24... He did say that sexual immorality was allowable.
    You appear to misinterpreting what Jesus was saying:
    In Genesis, A husband and wife become one flesh.
    Then comes Moses, who allows divorce is a husband becomes displeased with his wife.
    Then comes Jesus, who reels in Moses' instructions on divorce, saying that you may only divorce of the displeasure is due to the wife's adultery.

Since he was referring to the Law though, it is irrelevant to you and me. We do not live under the Law. Do you want to get your permission from the Law?
    We do not live under the lawy for the purpose of salvation. We still adhere to the law in matters of morality. Unless you think the Ten Commandments no longer apply...

You are trying to say that the marriage covenant is broken by sex outside of marriage. That is totally unprovable and ridiculous if you consider where such a position will take you.
    Then, why is sex reserved for marriage? Why are we called to keep the marriage bed undefiled?

You limit it to the two options of condoning her sin, or divorcing her.
    Yes. Even the adulterous woman was forgiven by Jesus, then told to go and sin no more. Jesus was telling her not to assume she was getting a free pass.

You do not unconditionally love her. Otherwise, you would not have divorced her (since that is the result of a hard heart according to Christ in Matthew 19).
    My heart must have been pretty hard to have given her two years to come back to her husband.

Where do you get such an idea? The marriage covenant exists until one of the party dies. That takes into account all passages.... You promised to love for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, until death do us part. Either you are going back on your word, or you never really meant those words.
    Hello? When the covenant is made, there are two people there. When my wife did what she did, she abandoned the covenant. There was no covenant for me to keep bby the time I got to the courthouse.

I was pointing out the folly of you trying to compare yourself to God in divorce.
    I make no such comparison. But you did a good job of drawing attention away from the point of the verse, rather than address it.

I'm still curious why you would consider an adulterous marriage to be a Godly one. Even Jesus said that it is better to cut off one's own body part than have it offend and pollute the whole body. Could I have stayed in the marriage? To this day, there's nothing to stay in. I don't see my ex wife returning any time in this lifetime. I'm currently single, and she's still living in an adulterous relationship. It's been nearly 4 years now. Please explain to me what would have been gained by me not filing for divorce, other than condoning her behavior.

4. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

You know, I was going to let this go but it's bothering me too much. So here is my question again (copied from my post on page 5) directed to those who say that, by being divorced and remarried, I am perpetually sinning.

Come on now folks. Don't leave us hanging here. If you think our marital status makes us ineligible for church membership (because that is the impression I'm getting) then please come out and say so, backed by reasons why you believe as you do.

If, on the other hand, you just don't know or aren't sure, go ahead and say so. It's ok. A sinner like me won't be tossing any stones your way. ;)

Should People like me (divorced & remarried) be accepted into the membership of a local church? I mean, think about it. Most churches don't let unrepentent sinners join the membership, right? A man and woman living together without the bonds of marriage would not be eligible for membership unless they got married. At least, that's how it is at my current church. A practicing homosexual is not eligible for membership unless he/she repents of the lifestyle, correct?

So, how does someone like me, who is remarried after my divorce of many years ago, repent of my sin of adultery that goes on every day of my current marriage (according to some)?

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

John, I will bow out of this one-on-one with you only because I have no desire to beat you down with the Bible. I do believe you are in error. I do not believe you have studied this issue. I also do not believe you understand where I am coming from. So, I will discuss this issue from this thread through PM only.

RomOne16, you are to remain in whatever state you find yourself in. That is in 1 Cor. 7 (I think verse 27). If you want to discuss this more, use the PM function.

6. Tonya R

Tonya R New Member

RomONe,
    You said:
    Are you telling us that you are having cheating on your spouse? You said it goes on every day. How do you keep this a secret?

in Christian love,
    Tonya

7. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

RomOne16:
    If you were an alcoholic, or a drug addict, or even a murderer, and you become saved and want to join a church, that's all well and fine.
    But...
    Don't you DARE be a divorced person and try to serve God!! These people will have none of that.
    You are forgiven and your sins are forgotten ONLY if it doesn't include the "D" word. Even though the scriptures say that your past is gone, forgotten, and you're a new creature, apparently divorce isn't included.
    They take God's Word and convolute it into whatever they want it to mean -- I mean, if Grandpa said that's the way it is, then that's the way it is.
    Don't even try to get anywhere with this....your arguments will fall on deaf ears, even to the point where they won't discuss it through posts, only PMs.

8. christine

christine New Member

I Noticed that, I guess her and will jusy have to go live with johnv in sin. :D While no buddy talks to us.
    Christine :confused:

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

IMHO, to say that divorce is not forgiveable (and this is coming from someone who believes in NO divorce) is taking power from the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.

My Bible says: 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

IMHO, that means that when someone confesses their sin of divorce that God will forgive and forget that sin, wipe the slate clean and remembers that sin no more. Therefore, the divorced person may remarry and is not living in sin. Otherwise, God is not as powerful as the Bible says He is.... Either He forgives our sins, all our sins, or He doesn't.

Again, in my humble opinion and not meant to cause a fuss.
    Diane

10. Tonya R

Tonya R New Member

Diane, BTW,
    I don't believe in any divorce either. For any reason. Even in the verses where there is an 'exception' clause listed, it is really not giving a reason for divorce. All that was being stated was that "aside from the cause of fornication", if one does this and that, then this occurs..

Respectfully,
    Tonya

11. christine

christine New Member

when someone confesses their sin of divorce that God will forgive and forget that sin, wipe the slate clean and remembers that sin no more. Therefore, the divorced person may remarry and is not living in sin.--Diane
    Ok, I'm being sincere now. If this is true then why does everyone act like we (the divorced) are the most guilty of all. As soon as someone finds out that you are divorce and remarried, they want to inform you of how sinful you are. I have been divorced (due to adultry) since 1989, and have not heard the end of it yet.
    Why does everyone think we are non repentive, having no regret for our actions?
    Christine

12. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

Christine, it's because people are so concerned about what someone was, and what they used to do, instead of who they are and what they do now.

They never let the alcoholic put his bottle down, they never let the drug addict put away his needle.
    But, when it comes to divorce, it's even worse. It's like you have to wear a big scarlet "D" on your shirt.

13. christine

christine New Member

Don't they realize that "people only know what you tell them". If I were hiding it or lying about it, then I might deserve to be "snubbed", but how can you hold openess and honesty, against someone?
    Christine

14. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

Christine, if I have come across as that, please forgive me...

If you've repented, and are living as godly as a life as you can, then I have no room to say anything...Now...I don't attack the person, I am attacking the sin...or at least the issue of it. What I say, I will back up with issue, but once you've been forgiven of God, those that act like they won't forgive will have to answer to God, won't they?

(((((((CHRISTINE))))))))))))))00

15. christine

christine New Member

I really wasn't referring to any certain person, I've just found this to be true in most religious environments.
    I think it's just one of those sins that follow you around.
    This was why I kept asking how people thought you should rectify the sin, if being remarried was "perpetuating" the sin.
    I think romone16 was trying to ask the same thing.
    Christine

16. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

And this is very important:
    Diane

17. Molly

Molly New Member

I think a believer should do everything they can to prevent a divorce....but,yes,it can be forgiven,that does not make the consequences to an action disappear,though. There are consequences...wether that means a social stigma,unhappy children,rebellious children,there will be consequences...so if you are going to get a divorce,consider these things.

It is never God's will for a married couple to separate...sin has caused this,no matter which person is *at blame*...both are responsible for their choices.

Molly

18. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

But you should not have to bear that "social stigma". God is forgiving, but man is so unforgiving that people have to bear this stigma unnecessarily.
    It is not right to accept the fact that people will shun you because of the big "D".
    Those who deny and shun people because of their past will in time answer for it.

19. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Molly I agree with you. I think we are a society that has been taught everything has a quick fix. Throw it out, get a divorce, take a prozac...

Divorce has never been an option in my heart. I chose to forgive. However, for those who did divorce, that sin is no more sinful than a lie, cheating on taxes, etc. and our divorced brothers and sisters should not be treated as lesser Christians.

However, the Bible is clear that a divorced man may not be a pastor or deacon, according to the way I read the scripture. (NOT trying to start a new debate!)

Diane

20. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

Are you telling us that you are having cheating on your spouse? You said it goes on every day. How do you keep this a secret?

in Christian love,
    Tonya
    </font>[/QUOTE]I really don't know HOW you arrived at the conclusion that I am cheating on my spouse from what I posted. :eek: :confused:

I'll explain my question more simply for you. :rolleyes:

I was married and divorced, lived single for a couple of years, met the love of my life and married him, am STILL married and ever FAITHFUL to him today.

Some have expressed the opinion that being remarried after a divorce is comitting adultery perpetually (every day).

Thus my question to those who hold such an opinion. If my second current marriage is adultery, then how can I repent (turn away from my sin. I do know that repenting isn't just saying "gee, sorry God" ).