1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Drinking Alcohol a Sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Baptist_Pastor/Theologian, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. standingfirminChrist

2 Corinthians 5:13; Titus 2:6; 1 Peter 4:7
    1 Thessalonians 5:6,8; 1 Peter 1:13; 1 Peter 5:8
    1 Timothy 3:2; Titus 1:8
    1 Timothy 3:11; Titus 2:2
    Titus 2:4
    When comparing the Greek for the word 'sober' in all the instances (12) found in the New Testament, looking diligently at the meaning, it is safe to say the word 'nepho' does indeed mean 'to abstain from alcohol'.

Look at the verses that contain that Greek word 'nepho'. It is more than sound mind that the author is trying to convey to the reader. A watchman must be alert, a sentinel on a military base must have his mind focused. We are to be watchmen, sentinels, just as God's Word tells us. 'Be sober, be vigilant'.

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Thats where I disagree.....it means to be sober, which you have already correctly stated is the opposite of being intoxicated. Every one of those definitions that you just gave says that. It does not, however, say to abstain....only you have said that.

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I did search nepho and it did not say abstain....it said to be calm or collected in spirit, of sober mind. which you, because of your tradition and background, have taken to mean total abstinence, which is not a bad thing. but that does not mean that is what God's word says.

4. standingfirminChrist

funny, it reads abstain in my Swordsearcher, my Bibleworks, my OnlineBible, and my PowerBible.

Again, try to understand, my background and traditions have nothing to do with it. I was not even around when the author penned 1 Thessalonians, or 1 Peter.

No, my friend, it is not me you have a beef with over this issue. It appears to be with the Word of God.

#284 standingfirminChrist, Nov 10, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'm serious man, I just searched it again....they don't say to abstain. In fact....each definition that I have read does not even mention that word. But it says what I've already stated.

I don't have a beef with you, or God's word. You keep doing what you're doing....you're not doing anything wrong.....but neither is a brother or sister in Christ who enjoys a drink once in a while.

6. standingfirminChrist

So there is the problem. You see nothing wrong with drinking.

Do you have a Strongs Exhaustive Concordance handy?

I encourage you to look up the word. You will find that nepho does indeed mean to abstain.

A brother and sister in Christ who enjoys a drink once in a while is doing something wrong. Solomon warned the reader not to have anything to do with alcohol. Paul echoed these words telling the reader to abstain. If they don't abstain,they are living in rebellion against God's direct Word.

#286 standingfirminChrist, Nov 10, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2006
  7. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I definitely will look it up....and the places I've already checked have not said it. It may take me some time, but I'll be looking it up.

It is not that I see NOTHING wrong with drinking.....it depends on the person, if it is a struggle of theirs, or if they are among certain people who would be tempted, or bothered by it. For instance....if we hung out together, and I liked beer, I would not drink it around you because I would know that you have a problem with it. I wouldn't want you to be concentrating on the beer in my hand the entire time, because it would effect your attitude and spirit toward me. It isn't that alcohol is a harmless thing.....it can definitely be harmful, but so can a lot of other things. Anyways....whether you agree or not, I think you see what I'm saying. It is not me ignoring God's word, rather it is me obeying God's word because He speaks about these issues, that is, taking other people into account before you do things. I'll check on nepho......although I'm still not convinced your presuppositions aren't effecting your understanding of the meaning.

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I actually prefer an ice cold pepsi :thumbsup:

9. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

I looked up the word 'nepho' in my Greek concordance and it does indeed say to abstain from alcohol.

dan e., what are your sources for the word?

10. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

The exchange of interpretations and viewpoints have stretched this for a very long way. But I believe I see in all of it John 13:34-35: (34) A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. (35) By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

While we post answers to each other, our final answer must be to Him.

11. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Many of the searches I did brought me to a page called Bluebible (I also looked at Crosswalk which came up with the same results) and the search results came up as:

1) to be sober, to be calm and collected in spirit

2) to be temperate, dispassionate, circumspect

I also saw in Strong's exhaustive concordinance where it does say "abstain" :applause:, oh yeah, bravo to me!

HOWEVER.......this is hard to make such a strong case for total abstinance over a possible way to translate the word in that context....since that word does not mean 'totally abstain' in all cases, every context. since my other searches did not suggest that it definitely means to always abstain....than I have not changed positions on it. I see how it can mean that....but it is also apparrant that it does not always mean that. Not that this is the goal, because I realize that you're position will not change.....but thanks for pushing me to dig deep!

12. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

While this topic has been hashed and rehashed through several threads (and will continue to be, I'm sure) I thank God that new things are being brought up. For instance, I had not looked up that word 'sober' in the Greek before, so I did not know all the meanins that of the word in the context given.

It has challenged me to study more, that I might be better prepared in the future. I commend those who stand on the Word of God and obey it's demand for abstinence in the life and walk of a believer.

There are many who will reject the command to abstain, partially because of their fleshly desire for the occasional glass, or daily glass of alcohol; partially because of commentators and translators who fail to give the true meaning of the word 'nepho' (such as the BlueLetterBible).

13. standingfirminChrist

So, you think it is ok to drink just because other instances of the word 'sober' means something different than abstain from wine? Do we just dismiss the verse in God's Holy Word in the place He does tell us to abstain?

Do we go in direct rebellion against this command?

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

ouch.......i don't even drink, dude.

anyways....i too have been challenged!!:1_grouphug:

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Allow me to officially end this thread so we can print off its pages, bind it in book form, bury it, and promise never to have another thread like this again. We can just refer to the buried book. Then.....let's pop a little of the bubbly and celebrate!

just joking guys....THE END.

16. standingfirminChrist

Something to ponder on. We get our modern word 'nepholism' from the Greek word 'nepho'

nephalism
    \Neph"a*lism\, n. [Gr. ? soberness, fr. ? sober, ? to drink no wine: cf. F. n['e]phalisme.] Total abstinence from spirituous liquor.
    Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have reached page 30. Time for a break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.