1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Drinking, Smoking, and Dipping a Sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Jun 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

Point taken. So the "others"--did they think the Apostles were drunk?

'Cause someone really thought they were drunk on the new wine, or Peter's response, "For these are not drunken, as ye suppose..." would just be silly.

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS PURE AND HOLY AND TRUE.....

SHUT UP!!!

since you're my brother in Christ, we can have these sibling rivalries. But you should have followed my lead and bowed out of this thread a long time ago. Reread some of your posts telling us about your sound doctrine...as if you've got it all together. **Insult removed** Some Christians need this kind of talking....I've needed them tons myself.

aauugghh...maybe it is time to stop spending so much time in in a web forum.

#282 dan e., Jun 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

whew....where did that come from? Sorry about that....some kinds of arguments drive me up the wall. This is one of them.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I personally don't believe so. I believe it was a hollow accusation. But remember that there were thousands that were present. Because the accusation was public, it had to be publicly refuted. Slander must be squashed. Also the Holy Spirit is the author and it was ultimately written for our benefit as well--giving us more of a total picture.

5. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

So Peter was wrong with the "as ye suppose"? That is, no one actually supposed such?

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, Peter answered as a gentleman, diplomatically, without malice.
    He knew that they were mocking him, for it clearly says: "Others mocking,"

7. Snitzelhoff

Snitzelhoff New Member

Indeed, they were picking at the "drunk" guys--the ones they supposed were drunk. Surely, if you can tell two thousand years separated from the events that they didn't really think Peter and co were drunk, then Peter standing right there could tell, and would have rephrased it to something more truthful (being led by the Spirit of truth and all) like, "...drunk, as ye say...".

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Ah, so we're not just blasphemers, we're cults! Any other ways you want to pigeon hole us? Any other names you want to call us?

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I also find his reply interesting. He didn't say, "Of course we aren't drunk! Alcohol would never stain our holy, pure and perfect lips, blasphemer!" Instead, he said, "We're not drunk. It's only the third hour of the day!"

10. His Blood Spoke My Name

All Peter needed to do to prove their accusations were false was to tell them the men were not drunk and point them to the hour of the day... reminding them that it was not common for people to get drunk on forbidden wine at so early an hour of the day.

And it was not any kind of admittance that they would get drunk later either.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've said the same thing. If drinking were sinful, they would have had the perfect opportunity to state as such.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

30 pages...

Please put another futile thread to rest, mods!

13. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm not drunk. After all, it's only 8:30pm where I am.

Now, how do you suppose 99% of the people who read that would interpret it? Don't bother, it's a rhetorical question.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Pretty thin ice to decide which were the majority, and which were the minority, I would say.

And frankly, I don't greatly care on which side one is on in this. I've got enough "to worry about" beside this.

And as the moderator of my local church, I'll second webdog's motion.

Ed

#294 EdSutton, Jun 16, 2007
  15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Thank you for the compliment, whether or not I deserve it.

Ed

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Now ths is what I call "sound exegesis". NOT! This has no bearing on whether or not the facts you have cited are correct, for basically they are, but don't we get our exegesis from Scripture, and apply it to 'worldly facts', and not the other way around? :confused:

And I am a teetotaler, BTW, not even knowing what beer or most wine tastes like, although I tasted some wine some twenty years ago.

Ed

#296 EdSutton, Jun 16, 2007
  17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I wonder if anyone else bothered to read this link you provided?

Ed

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Since you like to throw around the word blasphemy around quite freely, I would say the closest thing I have seen to that state above anything I have read in this thread is he who claims to be without sin for 24 hours.

Your theology, reasoning, and posts do not line up with the Gospel. I hope you are enjoying your flowing robes, places at the dinner table, and recognition when you pray.

19. His Blood Spoke My Name

My posts may not line up with your gospel, but they are in line with the Word of God.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Baloney, they line up with your warped theology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.