1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Drinking Wine Wrong??

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. His Blood Spoke My Name

Jesus was not admitting to drinking fermented beverage. As a matter of fact, He was showing how they were falsely accusing John the Baptist and then falsely accusing Him.

try again.

2. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

33 For John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine, and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ 34 The Son of Man has come eating and drinking, and you say, ‘Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ 35 Yet wisdom is justified by all her children.”

1a. Jesus ate bread.
    1b. His opponents used this truth to say falsely that He ate to excess.

2a. Jesus drank wine.
    2b. His opponents used this truth to say falsely that He drank to excess.

3a. Jesus ate and drank with tax collectors and other notorious sinners.
    3b. His opponents used this truth to smear His reputation by association.

Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? Let us not therefore judge one another any more.

3. His Blood Spoke My Name

The natural man cannot receive the things of the Spirit of God. The natural man wants to say Jesus was speaking of drinking fermented wine. The Spiritual man judgeth all things and knows that Christ truly could not have partook of fermented beverages.

The natural man cannot know the things of the Spirit.

4. gekko

gekko New Member

you people read this yet?

vs. 21 is where those who think alcohol is a sin - is where they mess up. they say "right there! it says its not good to drink wine!"

no - that's not what the verse is saying - take it in context.

what the verse is saying is that - dont drink wine in front of a brother who would be weakened and tempted to drink more and more.
    ---

READ THIS CHAPTER!!

God bless.

5. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Drinking wine is not wrong as long as you don't drink to get drunk. Just like money is not evil its the love of it that is. Eating food is not evil but glottony is. The bible says in 1Thess. 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
    So its all about finding a balance.

6. His Blood Spoke My Name

hello??????

The word 'ra'ah' in that verse is translated 'do not have experience with.' Leave it alone.

You don't have to drink alcohol in front of a brother to cause him to stumble, just the fact that he knows you drink it at all (whether he is present or not) could cause him to stumble.

Have you ever heard someone say, 'Well, so-and-so down the street does it, so it must be ok'?

You can be causing someone to stumble who reads these posts and says 'Well, that christian says it is ok to drink.'

Woe to him that putteth wine to his neighbor's lips.

7. gekko

gekko New Member

i agree with you there - but it seemed like you took the verse out of context.

read the verses before it:

"Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?"

answer: "They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright"

'when it moveth itself aright' - seems to label "wine when it is red" as "mixed wine"

anyways - read the verses after it as well. i've got to go to class.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Way to rip 1 Corinthians 2 out of context to support your own convictions. Try again.

9. His Blood Spoke My Name

nothing ripped out of context by me. I have given scripture to show we are to refrain from alcohol.

And now, as someone stated earlier, you have seen the scripture and heard the truth. As Paul wrote, 'Thou art inexcusable, O man.'

10. His Blood Spoke My Name

when it moveth itself aright is speaking of fermentation. Look not upon (have no experience with) the wine when it is red, when it giveth his color in the cup, when it moveth itself aright (fermented, bubbling).

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I used to think as you do, then I did "hear the truth". What you are saying is not it.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This spiritual woman reads Scripture and Scripture says that Jesus not only drank wine, He made it. Case closed.

Ann

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've not studied this but I always thought of the 'moving itself aright' with the thinking of when you're drunk, things seem to move although they're not. That's why drunken people sway and stumble.

Ann

14. His Blood Spoke My Name

try again webdog.

When man opens the Word of God with the preconceived thinking that 'there is nothing wrong with me having one drink,' man is going to receive the Word as being only to the point that it does not take away his 'one drink'. He will not receive the things of the Spirit.

Same as those living homosexual lifestyles and claiming to be christian. As long as they are not reminded by the Word of God they are living in sin, they will listen to the preacher. That goes with anyone. The natural man does not want his toes stepped on.

Paul wrote in Romans 7 that the flesh wars against the Spirit. This is what is happening here. The flesh sees no wrong in drinking. The Word of God tells us 'touch not, taste not, handle not.'

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

HBSMN, if you read my last post, I said I used to think as you do. It's only when doing what you suggest...reading the Word without preconceived notions, do we learn the truth...that alcohol is not sinful in itself. I blogged about this a while back...
    http://webdog.baptistblog.org/post/24/493

16. His Blood Spoke My Name

Spiritual? Hmmm. Study it out and you will find the wine Jesus made at the wedding feast (oinos) was not and could not have been alcoholic wine.

Case closed? Sounds more like the mind is closed.
    1 Corinthians 2:14 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The wine Christ made was the "best", the same kind of wine the Lord of Hosts will serve us someday in Isaiah 25:6...
    Isa 25:6 On this mountain the LORD of hosts will make for all peoples a feast of rich food, a feast of well-aged wine, of rich food full of marrow, of aged wine well refined.

18. His Blood Spoke My Name

If that were the case, then the verse would say look not upon the wine when you are drunk. There is a problem here because Paul wrote in Ephesians 5 'Be not drunk with wine...'

According to your above statement, one is told don't drink no more once you get drunk.

Doesn't work. The key word is that word 'Look'. It means 'have no experience with.'

19. His Blood Spoke My Name

Alcohol is not sinful in itself, you are right. But drinking it is. God did not create alcohol, it is a product of man.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Fermentation is a "product of man"? :laugh:

Go pull some grapes off a vine and let them sit for a few days and tell me what "man" caused those grapes to ferment. Ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.