1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Each Psalm Messianic?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by richard n koustas, Feb 8, 2007.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

Are there Messianic messages in each Psalm? Or just some?

2. richard n koustas

bump ... anyone?

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Probably only some, IMO. The passage you quote is one way of phrasing the three-fold distinction/division in the Hebrew Bible of the Law or "Torah" (five books- Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Leviticus, Deuteronomy), the prophets or "Nebhiim" (former and latter of eight books- Joshus, Judges, Samuel, and Kings- former; latter- Isaiah Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and 'the Twelve', a reference to the so-called 'minor prophets') and the 'writings', aka the 'psalms' or the "Kethubhim" (three books of 'Poetry' - Job, Psalms, Proverbs; the 'five rolls' or "Megilloth" , the Song of Solomon, Ruth, Lamentations, Esther, Ecclesiastes, each of which was read on a particular Feast Day of the Hebrews); and the three so-called historical books of Daniel, Ezra/Nehemiah, and Chronicles); a total of twenty-four books in the Hebrew canon. Incidentally, Jesus put his stamp on the Hebrew canon in two ways, with the first being the verses you mentioned, and the second referring to the shedding of innocent blood , from the "blood of righteous Abel, unto the blood of Zacharias", referred to in Matt. 23:35 and Luke 11:51, as these were the first and last persons recorded to have been slain in the Hebrew Scriptures, as they were divided.

But as to each having a specific Messianic prophetic reference, I kinda' doubt it, although I could be mistaken, here. There are some 330-350 Messianic prophetic references to Jesus' first coming, depending on whom you reference, and perhaps one thousand total to both the first and second comings. With multiple references or allusions in some of Psalms, and considering there are 150 Psalms, one might be kinda' pressed to fit them all in, with the rest of the OT to be considered as well.

I admit I could be mistaken on this, and would not be averse to being shown a list with such.

Go for it.

Ed

P.S. "bump" :BangHead: , "BUMP" :tonofbricks:, :laugh: :laugh:

#3 EdSutton, Feb 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  4. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

No, not all are messianic. Some are, but not all. I'd have to look up the list of those that are if you want. Just ask.

5. richard n koustas

I have seen lists of the messianic psalms. different lists shows different psalms. for example, all lists shows psalm 2 as messianic, but i remeber seeing psalm 1 on a list. most list 22 as the sufferering saviour, 23 as the risen saviour and 24 as the returning saviour. i don't think i have ever seen 119 on it, but what is 119 about? the Word of God...(see John 1:1 and 1 john 1:1)

ed:

not all references are prophetic...some may be typical

i'n not sure what the answer is, just curious