1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Eating at a Buffet a Sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jul 9, 2014.

?
  1. Yes ....

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No ....

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. It depends [please explain]

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Eating more than needed is a sin .... I eat healthy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. There are times it is okay to eat a little more than usual

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. I am underweight ....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I am at the recommended weight for my height ....

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  8. I am a somewhat overweight, but very atheletic ...

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  9. I am fat, but working on losing weight ....

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  10. I am obese, need help, but embarrassed to ask for help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed that nobody has mentioned the church pot-luck yet.

2. pk4life

pk4life Member

first define what gluttony is. then we can proceed.

If getting a little buzz is drunkeness... then feeling a little full, and thinking you can fit desert in still, is definitely gluttonous, sinful behavior.

Food addiction is not a big deal in the same churches that don't allow "up front" service from smokers. (ushers, teachers, pianists, choir members, you name it).

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

We're Baptists. Church potlucks are sacrosanct. Can't touch 'em and they're not sinful.

[​IMG]

Couldn't hit "Submit Reply" before I fell outta my chair ...

4. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: :thumbs:

5. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't really enjoy a buffet because I get full quickly. Eating too much is a bigger risk at home, where snacking between meals is tempting.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mrs Salty refers to me as the bottomless pit

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't eat a buffets very often because there's no balance; you gain or lose something. I do have a favorite Chinese buffet that is $8.99 evenings and weekends and $7.49 for lunch. If I eat "healthy"-- salad, veggies, soup, fruit-- I don't get my $$$ worth--> loss. If I get the 'good stuff'-- fried rice, sesame chicken, fried biscuit, and dessert bar--> gain (weight and feeling 'down' for a couple of hours). If I try to stay 'middle ground' of salad, seafood, a little rice or noodles, light dessert--> loss; not what I would really like, so gain; stuffed myself with second choices.

BTW a few years ago, after church, I went alone to the 'Chinese' buffet and saw this guy who had visited our class already seated alone. I went by him to say hello, and he invited me to join him. He told me that he had lived in Hong Kong for a couple of years, and the food they served there is nothing like what's really Chinese, like broiled snake.

8. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Chinese buffets are nasty, they use the cheapest food they can find. It tastes good temporarily because so much of it is fried, soaking in MSG, and things like that. Just horrible for you. And yes it is really nothing like real Chinese food. The Chinese aspect on a Chinese buffet is on the same level as thinking Federal Express is, well... "federal".

9. pk4life

pk4life Member

coming from a corndogggy??!!!

10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Agreed!!

I saw another post from the OP that said that the neighbors who dressed immodestly were the cause of sin (in so many words) showing a flawed theological base but this is typical in churches today. The cause of sin is others. :thumbsup:

No, I won't won't bother to look up the post. I've found than on this forum real proof means nothing as even a persons own words are not to be taken as evidence. I mean anything to be right! :tongue3:

As to buffets, our family has been invited to these after services and we have actually been rebuked for not gorging ourselves.

It's not the buffets, it's not the immodest apparel of neighbors, it's our own hearts that are sick.

11. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the day when my wife and I went to the Asian Buffet, I loved their fried biscuits. Sprinkled with just the right amount of sugar so that a few of them wouldn't astronomically increase my blood glucose levels. Their squid was surprisingly good too. One thing "chinese" buffets absolutely should not serve is pizza. The pizza at the place we went to was simply horrible. Probably some (very) cheap frozen pizza. Crust was soft/mushy and the taste definitely left something to be desired.

:)

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Eating at a buffet is not a sin. Eating the whole buffet, on the other hand.....

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

If you know so much about it, then which is nastier?-- a 'Chinese buffet' in the USA or the real Chinese food? And is what you say not true of most eateries? that the food is cheap and nasty and doctored to taste better, knowing that few patrons select their food on the basis of 'healthy?'

14. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did ....

Someone hold a weapon to your head and force you to read this thread? If not, your complaints are more sillier than this thread!

15. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well.

It is my way of thinking that the title and the poll are directly related. Besides, I try to confound the wise, and the not so wise. Call it my qwirk! :laugh:

16. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me the flaws....

You must have few friends, and that is because you are highly critical!

Since I wrote the thread and I am the OP, here is exactly what I said, less the scenario. I do not see me accusing others for sin. I am merely asking what you would do if tempted, so, show me where the typicality is in this question....

When does the above scenario become a sin that needs your attention and the help of God to overthrow to keep you Holy in His sight?

And, how would you go about making sure you do not continue to fall into this pit of sexual lust and visual cheating on your spouse? Would you talk with your neighbors about their manner of dress and ask them to quit displaying so much flesh? Or would you paint your access window black? Is short, what would you do to protect your witness and holiness for Jesus???

Personally, I am tired of you blowing smoke whenever I post. So I am waiting for you to show that I am blaming others for faling to a tempting scenaro! If I am tempted by something someone else does, the sin is on me, no ifs, ands or buts! I can not and would not even think about blaming the neighbors for being who they are and dressing likewise.

I could have made my scenario about an attractive girl in church, scantly dressed. Sure she is presenting her own problems, but if we go beyond the idea of doing more than the first look, the sin is yours to own! I am merely asking when the scenario would become a sin, and that means if a person is tempted, and goes beyond the temptation, it is the sin of the person being tempted, and not the fault of the person tempting them!

But, if you try hard enough, I'll bet you can spin it in your direction! So, I'm waiting for your spin, and your response! Oh, and this one I am blaming you for, because it was from your mouth that this ridiculous comment flowed!

#56 righteousdude2, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More correctly: "Did someone hold a weapon to your head and force you to read this thread? If not, then your complaints are even siller than this thread!"

"More sillier" is a silly way of puitting it. More absurd or more ridiculous would be okay though. You wouldn't say :"More funnier", would you?

Carry on rd2. Don't get angry by having a food fight!

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, you are the author of the thread. You wrote the OP, but you are not the OP. The OP is not a person. You are a person.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Lord.....:laugh: