1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is every sin really under the blood?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by deacon jd, Sep 15, 2006.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's make sure we don't confuse justification with sanctification.

Asking for forgiveness as a child of God is not to save from hell, but to restore an intimate relationship with our Heavenly Father, and to a lesser extend, put a limit on the chastising consequences of doing wrong.

2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Ok, I am with you there. But alot ALOT of people dont see it this way. Alot of people believe that if you dont ask for forgivenes and repent from every sin you will not be saved.

So the sins are still under the blood (forgiven) even if we do not list them and ask forgivenes at bed time.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Thanks, DeeJay for defending grace. But your sentence to the effect that "A lot of people believe that if you don't ask for forgiveness and 'repent from every sin' you will not be saved." is telling, and shows exactly the problem. ("Houston! We have a problem!!") The problem is that one cannot find any command in Scripture to "repent from ANY sin (or sins)", let alone all, for those words cannot be found together in Scripture. No matter how many times most of us have heard it said :BangHead: (and I assure you I've heard it more than my share of times), it simply does not occur. With all respect, when one hears it, ask the one where that is found in Scripture?
    Amazing to watch the song and dance one will usually see and hear. :rolleyes:
    I don't know about anyone else, but I really do enjoy watching dancing Baptists, and especially dancing preachers! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Amen, Bro. AresMan! Preach it!

Ed

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Bingo!! Bro. J.D. done hit the nail with his head, here!! :thumbsup: And dead center to boot!

Ed

#25 EdSutton, Sep 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2006
  6. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Part of this discussion runs in circles because of the terminology "under the blood." It seems to me that the OP posed the question "even if all sins are under the blood, to what extent do they affect the believer's relationship to God?"

7. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Fill us in, Ed. What is the correct doctrine of "repentance"?

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not so. Scripture says, "in Adam all die!" Also that "it is appointed unto men once to die, and after this the judgment." And I believe that we are already getting the "death benefit" :rolleyes: from the sin of Adam. 'Least that's how I read it.

Ed

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

For a thumbnail sketch of what I believe Scripture teaches on this, as well as the idea of making Jesus Lord of your life, go to this thread.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=33141

Basically you will find this in posts #(s) 5, 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23.

That should serve as a starting point. BTW, I have said much the same on other threads, just different words. So for now, I will not attempt "to reinvent the wheel" on this. Hope that helps.

In His grace,
    Ed

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Your profile says you are SBC. Isn't that southern baptist? I would never exect to hear a baptist say the last part.

Did the thief on the cross repent or just believed?

11. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I guess it does. You referred to scriptural expression like "repentance toward God" and "godly sorrow worketh repentance," but I didn't see you actually explain repentance specifically. Maybe to save keystrokes you know of something elsewhere on the Internet that reflects your own understanding of the doctrine?

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I agree with most of what you have posted here, save for one thing. FTR, no form of the word "repent" is found in either the gospel of John, nor any of the Epistles of John.
    Confess? Yes, Nine times, to be exact! :thumbsup:
    Forgive? Definitely, but surprisingly, only two times, referring to two different ideas, BTW, and both in I John.
    Repent? Nary a time!! Not one! John is the only book in the Bible written for the express purpose of "getting people saved", as we would say or "that you may believe". (John 20:30-31) I John is the only book in the Bible written with an express purpose of given assurance "that we are saved" or "These things I have written unto you that believe on the name of the son of God that you may know that you have eternal life" (I John 5:13)
    Again, FTR, anyone wanna' guess how many times John uses some form of the words "believe" or "faith" in these four books? I'll tell you, bein' as I'm so helpful.
    ("NOT!!" - Language Cop; "Who asked you, LC??" - Ed)
    John uses some form of these words over 110 times in these four books, and uses some form of "believe" 99 times in his Gospel. I'd say that is fairly significant.

Ed

13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I believe that repentence (Metanoya - change of mind) happens when we change our minds about Christ and decide to place our faith in Him for our salvation. I think it is like if not the same as being born again. It is something done to us thru the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

Back to the original question. I believe it is asking, at the moment of salvation are all of our sins forgiven past and future. OR at the moment of salvation are only our past sins forgiven.

I think the answer is clearly all of our sins are forgiven past and future. If not then no one has been saved because not one person has remained sinless after the moment of salvation.

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

That last paragraph is right on, Bro! :thumbsup:

Esd

15. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

16. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If the blood is not enough to cover ALL sins - it is not enough to cover ANY sins.

It is finished...

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Amen, Sister! :thumbsup: Preach it!

Ed

18. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You go! Tell it now, this is WORD!

20. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Nicely said. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and we will be saved. We work out our own salvation, taking to ourselves what the world calls sins, but are not.

All things are lawful for us, but not all expedient, and we shouldn't drink too much, eat too much, be idle too much; not letting anything take us captive. I Corinthians 6:12. A little of this and a little of that is OK, but a whole lot this, and a whole lot that will make that which is not sin, into a sin.