1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is everybody wonderfully made?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Oct 29, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I really have my problems with these verses here:

Psa 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
    Psa 139:15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

I really cannot imagine that these verses are related to all mankind. Maybe they are related to David but when we relate them to all humans then we have too many problems. Verse 15 implies that God himself personally designs all humans. If he personally designs them and creates them and puts everything together then what about disabled people? What about siamese twins or even worse forms of deformation? Did God himself design them? Then he would make mistakes and God doesn't make mistakes. And are disabled people wonderfully made? I think the term wonderfully made can impossible refer to things such as looks because not every human looks wonderful or even beautiful. There are humans which either look totally ugly or unproportionate or simply dumb. Sometimes you see people which already look so dumb that they could easily play a caveman in a dinosaur movie. This is simply how it is. Some people are neither beautiful nor do they have a symmetric face nor do they look intelligent but when we say that every human is wonderfully made by God himself then we basically say that God either makes mistakes and that Adam might have looked like a caveman or that God doesn't care about symmetry and such things. If God doesn't care about beauty then beauty wouldn't even exist. But even small babies seem to have a feeling for what beauty is. I have seen something on TV where they did tests with small babies and showed them different pictures of normal people and of models and the babies would rather look at beautiful,symmetric faces than at not so beautiful faces.
    Can you imagine that Jesus has jug ears and a much too big nose? I can't.

2. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

You are misinterpreting the verses. Being fearfully and wonderfully made is in the image of God. He created us according to the image he had for us. Read the first few chapters of Genesis. That does not mean that he turned out automatons on an assembly line. It simply means that he created us (Adam & Eve, initially) body and soul and spirit, with the ability to think things through. In the beginning we thought things through in accordance with his will. Then Eve ate of the forbidden fruit, Adam joined in, and we got evicted. Since then we've been on our own. Genetic mutations abound in the human race, not because of something God did, but because this earth we live on is not heaven. We won't be restored to perfection, to the state we were in in the Garden of Eden, until he comes for us, or we die. Then we can rejoice that we are fearfully and wonderfully made once more.

BTW .. "fearfully" in context means "reverendly awesome". It has nothing to do with angst.

#2 dispen4ever, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I'm in a church with an awesome ministry to the physically and mentally disabled and I can safely say, "YES, these are fearfully and wonderfully made - fully knit together by God." I've seen a baby who had such severe defects that he passed away during birth and if he hadn't, he would have died shortly after because of his defects. I see people every day with limbs that don't work, limbs that are deformed, brains that don't function like 'normal' people and those who's ears and eyes don't work.

Who are we to say what's beautiful? Do you know that God created slugs and said "It is good."? Any life, whether it's in a 'beautiful' body or a 'deformed' body is beautiful in it's complexity and uniqueness according to God. Yes, there is much that is a result of genetic mutations or 'faults' but that doesn't negate the fact that God knits together each person in the womb. God looks on the outward appearance and God looks on the heart.

Yes, each person is 'beautiful' and fearfully and wonderfully made.

Ann

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

didn't read your post ann or wouldn't of posted as I did, sry

#4 Brother Bob, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2006
  5. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Well said, annsi. :wavey:

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would in interested in knowing some verses in the bible that you do not have problems with. Are there any scriptures that are meaningful to you or give you peace? How about sharing those with us, too. :flower:

Ironically, this verse gives great comfort to me. How about reading the entirety of chapter 139 to give you some perspective on what David is talking about in the first place when he speaks of these things. He is speaking of the majesty and omniscience of God and not the design of man.

That's because you are interpreting it to mean that "wonderfully made" means physically beautiful and having no physical defects. That is an incorrect interpretation. In fact, it is very far off the mark.

Well, He is the Creative Genuis that made us all.

....what about them?

You have confused the word design with the word made. It doesn't say that we were wonderfully and fearfully designed, but made.

Designed implies that God purposely makes people with grievous birth defects. He does not.

Made, which is the word in the verse, implies that God ordained life to occur and that life, whether it be defect-free or not, is a gift from God Almighty and is sacred and wonderful.

I have a mentally challenged brother. When God made him, He didn't say, "Well, I think I'll design this one to be retarded."

Instead, I believe that God said, "I am going to give that couple a son. Because of his genetic make-up, that son is going to be mentally challenged. I am going to give that couple an extra measure of grace to raise him and love him."

Yes, they are. Wonderful doesn't mean perfect. It means made by God Almighty and in His image.

Of course, that have been some people who didn't think that disabled people were wonderfully made....you know....like Hitler!

It's unfortunate that we as enlightened humans of the 21st century have been conditioned to call other people ugly.

What does that have to do with their being wonderfully made in the image of God?

Again, why are you choosing to equate "wonderfully made" with the idea of physical beauty or physical/mental perfection? The verse in question doesn't even come close to saying that.

Ah....the same babies who poop in their pants and spit up on your clothes and eat out of the dog bowl and drool all over everything. Yes, I can see where the logic of the universe concerning beauty would rest in their tiny little minds.

He was from the Middle East. It's possible that His nose was a little on the larger side compared to a Caucasian like myself. So what if his ears stuck out or not?

I'm sure that Jesus was an ordinary looking man as far as men of his day were concerned.

7. genesis 12-15

genesis 12-15 New Member

Thank you, Scarlett.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

OK Scarlett,

This was one of your better ones.

Wayne

9. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

Is everyone fearfully and wonderfully made? A resounding YES!!! Each human is designed by God Himself! The commentary from the Nelson Study Bible states regarding verse 14 of Psalm 139: I am frearfully and wonderfully made might be rephrased as "I am an awesome wonder." :godisgood: :thumbs:

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Well if you put it that way . . . I guess maybe my mentor in the faith is also wonderfully made?

:thumbs: