1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Exekiel pulpit-worthy?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by UnchartedSpirit, Jun 5, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Personally, I don't see anything in there that makes refrences to how our lives can be more christ-like. It just serves to me as a good read that validates the scriptures accuracy in profecy, and gives a sample of what heaven is like, but do we really need a whole sermon based on it?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

All Scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

2 Timothy 3:16

3. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Uncharted,

bmerr here. Heard one lately or something? Eze 18:20-22 is a good place to build from when preaching against the false doctrine of hereditary depravity.

20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
    21 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
    22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.

Also, 18:24 contains a precept that speaks against OSAS.

24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

There's probably more preachable stuff in there, though I'm not all that familiar with the book as a whole. 2 Tim 3:16-17 tell us that All scripture (even Ezekiel) is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

We may not always see the need for some things God has preserved for us, but they're there for a reason.

In Christ,

bmerr

4. UnchartedSpirit

well yes I did, on Ezekeil 3 or 4, regarding how we should answer our calling. I'm sure there a hundered better Prophetic books even that are better refrences than that. However I did want to use the heavenly creatures in Ezekiel as characters for a movie someday.

5. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Uncharted,

bmerr here. Ezekiel 3:17-21 is a good one to illustrate the Christian's duty to his fellow man in warning him of the Judgement, and proclaiming to him the glorious gospel of Christ as the way of escape from Judgement, as well as our duty to fellow Christians to exhort to faithfulness those who slip back into sin. This adomonition is even repeated in Ch 33:7-9.

I'm not sure about what you mean by "how we should answer our calling", though. To what "calling" do you refer?

Agreed that the descriptions of the heavenly creatures are quite fantastic.

In Christ,

bmerr

6. UnchartedSpirit

The precher was talking about God's calling for everyone's lives. I don't think I'd have the stregnth to warn people the ways God made Ezekiel did. Especially the diet thing.

btw, is The Amber guy with hotpants supposed to be the Son of God?

7. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Uncharted,

bmerr here. Amber guy with hotpants?!?!?!? LOL!! I must've missed him! Where are you referreing to?

bmerr

8. UnchartedSpirit

Oops, its actually from the first chapter:
    27From his waist up, he looked like gleaming amber, flickering like a fire. And from his waist down, he looked like a burning flame, shining with splendor.

9. bmerr

bmerr New Member

Might be. I'd hesitate to say for sure, not having studied Ezekiel much as a whole. Agreed that God placed some pretty bizzare commands on him. Definitely a tough gig. Rough times in Israel back then, too. So many of their wounds were self-inflicted! As are many of ours.

In Christ,

bmerr