1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Faith A Choice?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Tumbleweed, Aug 9, 2004.

1. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Tumbleweed;
    Now that you believe the car will get you there. Lets suppose that you've never ridden in that car. You've seen it take other people and bring them back safely, but you have never trusted that car to do this for you. A person can believe in something with out trusting in it. When you bought that first car You had no evidence in order to believe but, it worked for others, would it work for you? In order to have that evidence that you place your trust in. You must first make the decision to try it out. This is the only decision you'll have to make and as long as that car does it's job you'll have faith in it.
    In order to know Christ you must try Him out. You have to get to know Him before the evidence will come. At first all you have is conviction of your sin, but you can see what is right.
    I admit that I was chosen first by God to receive eternal life this is His grace. My decision to trust Him is accepting that grace. Surrendering my will to His.
    May God bless You;
    Mike [​IMG]

2. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed New Member

This is where I squirm and say, "Well, every analogy breaks down at some point . . ."!

No, seriously, I think that what you are doing Mike, is proposing an existential rather than a Biblical view of faith. Soren Kierkegaard, the father of existentialism said that "faith is a leap in the dark" IE: You're not sure that anything is out there, but you've been told that there is, and so you take this leap, hoping that the evangelist was right. This is a patently unscriptural representation of what it is to come to faith in Christ.

Going back to the car thing, if I had insufficient SUBJECTIVE evidence to be convinced that this machine would convey me from point A to point B, I would not risk myself to it. The analogy that I have seen others using the car is largely inapplicable to to spiritual things, because "man looketh upon the outward appearance" but is unable to certainly know what is happening between God and someone else. The evidence that can convince me to trust Christ is necessarily subjective. I would refer you again to the Lord's words to Peter, Matt.16:17.

As you say, we do indeed surrender our will to Him, but not without sufficient witness in our soul to convince us to do so.
    - Paul

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Primitive Baptist,

You said, 'Both Arminians and Calvinists believe that salvation is by grace through faith
    (Eph. 2:8). Are there any Arminians on this board who believe that a sinner
    can come to Jesus apart from the drawing of the Father (John 6:44)?'

Not me . . .

4. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Tumbleweed;
    In fact a leap of faith is what I'm talking about. Although I wouldn't say in the dark, but rather in the light or, to the light. There is no way anyone can say that they believed in Christ with the faith of a man who has followed Christ all his life at first. Our faith comes to us by hearing the gospel. The word says so. It doesn't say we receive faith as a gift before we hear the gospel. The more we hear the more we receive. I grew up in a Baptist church I knew that Christ was who He said He was long before I surrendered to Him. I was not saved until I trusted in Him. Faith must be placed into action by trusting in Him.
    Jam 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

What truly saves a man is in God's word. It's the witness of Christ. It's His sacrifice. It It His life of perfect Love. There is no other proof I need than to know Christ Loves me. He died for me. So that if I would only trust and believe in Him. I could have eternal life with Him.

I can honestly say that when I accepted Christ my faith wasn't near as strong as it is now.

I don't really remember my first ride in a car. I do remember my first ride in a plane. That wasn't very long ago. I have to admit all sorts of things were going through my mind. Most of it was fear of crashing. Everything where there is any risk, (if we are to do them at all,) we have to take that leap of faith. We must first trust.
    May God Bless You;
    Mike [​IMG]

5. Me2

Me2 New Member

heres a related article written developing the "faith of christ" compared to the notion of "faith in christ".
    I found it to explain very well that faith is not a choice of man but a work of God.

Faith of Christ explained

Me2

6. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Multimillions of Americans believe in God. Many among this number believe things about Jesus, but this does not make them, or cause them to become saved.

Being saved is placing your faith/trust in Jesus for everything. Believing in Christ and His grace but first seeing your need is a prerequisite to the Lord ministering His saving grace. Conviction, sensing His love, believing in Jesus comes first. When we really believe in Christ as our only hope of eternal life, it is at that second in time that He saves us eternally. [John 1:12 & John 10:28-31; I Peter 1:5 & I John 5:10,12,*13, & 20f]

7. billwald

billwald New Member

"faith is not a product of my mind. it is a product of my spirit."

Metaphysical, existential . . . a leap into the dark.

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Billwald,

Basicly, without the congitive powers of the mind, God cannot change the heart by the indewelling of the Holy Spirit. Almighty God demands belief. [John 3:16 & Acts 16:31]

In the case of minors/infants and children, or mentally deficient people, the Lord protects them via His personal atonement. This is pinpointed in Scripture in II Samuel 11:23.

Berrian

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ray Berrian said:

Uhmmm. Soooo.

What you are saying is there is a different way of salvation for infants and mentally deficient people. They don't have to hear and understand and respond to gospel preaching, or to accept Christ, like you demand of those who have full command of their faculties ?

Prove by Scripture that there are two ways of salvation.

10. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

Ray,

"Personal atonement?" [​IMG]

11. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

pinobaptist,

'There is only one Christian faith and there is only one way to Heaven and that is through the blood/atonement of Jesus, our Lord. He is sovereign and according to II Samuel 12:23 Jesus takes children into His kingdom and not just David's illegitimate son. His blood covers their Original Sin.

In the N.T. Jesus said, 'Suffer/let the children come unto Me and forbid them not, for of such is the Kingdom of God.'

In your system of quasi-theology the Lord tosses some children into Hell and some He takes to Heaven, all based on His own capriciousness and pleasure.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

2 Sam 11:23 And the messenger said to David, "Surely the men prevailed against us and came out to us in the field; then we drove them back as far as the entrance of the gate.

Okaaay....where can I get my Ray Decoder Ring to get personal atonement out of this verse?

13. billwald

billwald New Member

"Basicly, without the congitive powers of the mind, God cannot change the heart by the indewelling of the Holy Spirit. Almighty God demands belief. [John 3:16 & Acts 16:31]"

"Belief," "conclusion," and "think" are used interchangably. Note your use of "cognitive."

A belief, or conclusion is made on the basis of historica experience + new data. An existential or metaphysical experience is new data.

14. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

npetreley,

Forgive me. My mistake. My reference is II Samuel 12:23. Thanks for bring this to my attention.

Ray

15. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

billwald,

My quote was: '"Basicly, without the congitive powers of the mind, God cannot change
    the heart by the indewelling of the Holy Spirit. Almighty God demands
    belief. [John 3:16 & Acts 16:31]"

Quote: '"Belief," "conclusion," and "think" are used interchangably. Note your
    use of "cognitive."

Ray's quote: 'If a sinner does not have the powers of cognition-the act of processing theological truth, both being aware of and making a clear choice of judgment, he cannot truly believe in Jesus as personal Savior.

Quote: 'A belief, or conclusion is made on the basis of historica experience + new data. An existential or metaphysical experience is new data.'

Ray's quote: Yes, a sinner has to believe in the historical data, namely, that Jesus lived and died 2,000 years ago for the sins of humanity. [I Corinthians 15:3-5]

In my way of expressing it I would say that yes we will have a spiritual experience when we truly believe and trust in Jesus as our only Savior and Lord, although we are not to test our faith by our inner feelings, necessarily. If we are in the faith, we will desire to live a holy life and as we grow in Christ we will yield the 'fruit of the Spirit.' Existentialism and metaphysical sounds more like philosophy than Christian theology.{end quote}

16. billwald

billwald New Member

"Ray's quote: Yes, a sinner has to believe in the historical data, namely, that Jesus lived and died 2,000 years ago for the sins of humanity. [I Corinthians 15:3-5]"

As stated, that's an easy test.

17. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I believe, like you do, that children, mentally challenged (is that the PC expression?), etc will be saved. But I have my own theory as to why, and it's not Biblical. Neither do I think yours is Biblical. We have support such as 2 Sam 12:23 that it will happen, but where do you get your ideas of HOW/WHY it happens?

By the way, just because David "knew" he would see his son in heaven doesn't necessarily apply to all children. It is entirely possible that he had a special revelation from the Spirit. He could also have been optimistic, and that's all.

Like I said, I think he WILL see his son, but we need to be careful about drawing a blanket conclusion from one statement like this.

18. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

npetreley,

You said quote: 'We have support such as 2 Sam 12:23 that it will happen, but where do you get your ideas of HOW/WHY it happens?'

Ray is saying quote: 'I don't know why God takes some babies/children to Heaven prematurely. Do you have any plausible ideas? I leave these matters in God's hands of care and love.' {end quote}

19. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Is faith a choice?

Faith is a gift from God. The exercizing of faith is a choice left to man.

"Great faith; little faith; where is your faith?; full of faith; have faith; continue in faith; weak in faith; strong in faith; etc." all tell of man's relationship with faith and his responsible choice of exercizing it.