1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Foley A Perverted Pedophile/gay ?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by pinoybaptist, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHO PROTECTED THE PERVERT CONGRESSMAN ?

October 1, 2006

NewsWithViews.com

rest of the story in link above.

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

If Congressional leaders knew Foley was gay, that's not a problem. He has a perfect right to be gay.

On the other hand, if they knew he was sending "overly friendly" emails to a minor, that's a whole 'nuther issue.

If I, as a teacher knew that about a collegue and didn't report it, I"d be lucky if all I lost was my job.

Time to clean the creeps out and start over.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

My main concern (other than the victims) is that we, the public, are told who knew what and when.

If any Republicans knew about this stuff beforehand and did nothing, then they need to be out just as quickly as Foley.

Sadly, since election rhetoric is full-steam ahead, I doubt any of us will ever know the whole story.

Like we ever do anymore.:BangHead:

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Amen to starting over. The present two party system is broken. Only the American people can break the lock on power that the Democrats and Republicans share. What is so pitiful is democrats crying moral indignation over this with their record.

5. Blammo

Blammo New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Should have seen it coming.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The top headline on the front page in today's Washington Post is: "FBI TO EXAMINE FOLEY'S EMAILS."

Everyone thought the Republicans were in trouble because of Iraq, but it just may be this Foley scandal that does the Republicans in.

The Wash. Post article clearly indicates that top Republicans knew about this. Foley sent sexually explicit emails to pages back in 2003. All that happened was that in 2005, Foley was quietly warned to leave the pages alone.

There is NO excuse for this unwillingness of the Republicans to take action! And they continued to let Foley co-chair the Committee on Missing and Expoited Children! Talk about irony! They may not have known how explicit the emails were, but they knew he was too friendly with the pages.

I can't find today's Wash Post article about the FBI and Foley but here's what they have online, which is slightly different:
    http://tinyurl.com/q8shx
    Here's one from yesterday:
    http://tinyurl.com/rux3j

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The Dems are shamelessly politicizing this issue and they should be ashamed of their sickening behavior, using a crime against a child as political ammunition for the midterms. This Cretan should lose his pension (as some Dems have called for) and should face the stiffest penalties the law will allow. Anyone on either side of the aisle who uses this as political fodder should be expelled from Congress. If there was a cover-up, those responsible should be held accountable.

Congress has been notoriously lenient about this type of thing. Twice in the 80s, the Democrat-led house did nothing to formally discipline (beyond a censure) two similar incidents (One a Republican, one a Democrat).

As much as I dislike him, I remember once reading that Newt Gingrich proposed legislation revoking the congressional pension of any House member convicted of a felony. As I understand it, it failed. I bet Rostenkowski voted against it if he could've :smilewinkgrin:

8. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Sorry, Tom, I don't see any defense at all for the GOP on this one. They should have gone after this pervert as soon as they knew there was something wrong.

9. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Of course, the Repubicans would never politicize this if it had been a Democrat. Please!

I think this should be front and center along with everything else. If you can't trust the people in power to protect the innocent, then who can you trust?

Part of the problem in Washington is we can't trust them. We need to get rid of all of them and start over!

I agree with rbell, we need to know who knew what, when and why they didn't do anything about it. However, just like rbell said, we won't because it's an election year and everyone will stop at nothing to get back/in office.

It's a sad sad system we have here....

Jamie

10. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Who cares who is politicizing it? What matters is who, if anyone knew about it, and what we should do about that.

11. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

From what we know now, the emails that were known about were not sexually explicit, and the parents did not want it pursued. As I understand it, you can't do anything without a cooperative complainant. So there was nothing to investigate. The leadership took it as far as reasonable and warned Foley to immediately cease.

The sexually explicit conversations (IM and email) apparently only became recently known about.

The timing is suspicious. Why 6 weeks before the election? If it was known about beforehand, why is it just now coming out? Was someone else sitting on this, waiting for an opportune moment?

So if anyone in Congress knew specifics and did nothing, then they should be gone. But let's not rush to judgment until we know what actually happened. I know it's not as fun that way, but it is probably the better way to go about it.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I didn't know the entire GOP was guilty of a crime, nor was I defending the GOP. I have better things to do :tongue3: . If you mean the Republican who committed the crime (Foley), you're right. If you mean there are GOP members who engaged in some sort of conspiracy, you're right. If you mean no one should vote for a Republican because of what Foley did, way too much Kool Aid has been consumed :laugh:
    Maybe I'm alone, but I think it is outlandish to take an act of a sexual predator and try to use it for political gain. A child has been exploited here. A crime has been committed against a child. To use that to try to score political points is just as unconscienable and morally repugnant as trying to cover it up to hold onto a seat, regardless of what party someone is. It's sad that/if some are willing to be "outraged" over the latter (because their beloved spin-doctors have chosen to do so) and choose to accept the former.
    I'm sure they would've. I don't recall the GOP trying to do it to the Dem guilty of statutory rape back in the late 80s or the Dems doing it to the Republican who did the same in the early 80s, but it's a whole different ballgame now than then. At least, CNN and Fox News is showing the game 24/7 now and they weren't as much then :smilewinkgrin: It does seem that poltics is more about hatred and destruction now. Reason has left the building long ago.

We need to pray for justice to be done to Foley. We need to pray for justice in any investigation of how the appropriate committees and leaders handled this. And we need to pray for the victim(s).

Let me remind everyone once again: a crime has been committed against a child. Let's keep our eye on the ball.

#12 TomVols, Oct 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2006
  13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Pastor Larry wrote:
    Maybe because they just recently became known about?
    I don't know. Unfortunately, you may be right. There may have been a conspiracy to make this known at a damaging time. It would seem that waiting til only a week or two before the elections would've been more damaging. Past history would suggest you have a legit concern here.
    That is a sane, logical way of looking at it. You know better than to think that way in this forum, Larry...it's only going to get you attacked :laugh:

14. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Yeah, there's probably a perfectly good reason for salacious emails to a minor, and for the GOP leadership to do nothing about it when they learned that Foley was ahem, "overly friendly" to minors.

Let's not jump to conclusions that there was something wrong going on...

After all, remember the Eleventh commandment:

"Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican."
    Ronald Reagan

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=2512011
    And that's a story from Sept 30th.

This is probably going to lead to a Democratic majority in the House, as Foley's seat, which was a shoo-in, will most likely be won by a Democrat. Other seats where the race is close may now go to the Dems as well. I don't care for either party, so I'm just stating facts here, not promoting or bashing any party.

I don't think people realize what a big deal this is here. We are just seeing the beginnings of the earthquake that will ensue. I think Hastert might be forced to resign.

People knew since '05 that Foley was being too friendly with the pages, and he was asked to stop. Well, come on, folks. Should this have been the end of it? Of course not! You've a got a man in his 50's sending over-friendly emails to teenage pages and we are supposed to think he's just too friendly! Please! They should have taken him off as co-chair of the Committee on Missing and Exploited Children at that time and investigated further.

But the Republicans were trying to keep it under wraps to save their image and the upcoming elections.

It's not about right and wrong in Washington; it's about power and image. Politics is dirty, dirty, dirty.

#15 Marcia, Oct 3, 2006
  16. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

If Hastert was a public school teacher, and he did what he did, he'd be arrested.

At very least, he should have the decency to quit and go home and let someone who cares more for children than for his party take charge.

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Foley a pervert? LOL! Ya'll haven't heard the latest news: Foley is a victim of molestation by a priest when he was a teenager. We're supposed to believe he didn't tell anyone all these years as part of Missing and Exploited Children because he was too ashamed.

I'll go see if I can find a link, but in the meantime try CNN.

Here ya go: http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/03/foley.scandal/index.html

#17 menageriekeeper, Oct 3, 2006
  18. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Going back to what we know as of now (in contrast to Galatian's and Marcia's makign stuff up), the family did not specify that the emails in question were "salacious" and did not want to reveal the matter further, apparently.

But as you can expect from Galatian, any opportunity to attack Republicans, no matter how inane, will be jumped on. And you can discount it, just as you can discount most of what he says as the rantings of political bias with little or no value to public discourse and civil debate.

The question is, Why are some afraid of an investigation running it course before drawing conclusions? Worried you won't be able to attack then?

19. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I have no problem with the investigation running it's course, however to be fair, had this been anyone other than "someone in power" then we would be in jail and a bond set, and we would get to prove we were innoccent in a court.

Why havn't they arrested the man yet? After everything that has come out, a few months ago to the recent stuff, after all that, there sure looks like enough to charge him and let him have his day in court.

Rehab... Is that the latest get out of trouble card?

Jamie

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Pastor Larry, please read my post again and tell me what I was making up. I would like you to back up that statement.

And even if the families did not want to publicize it, they should have investigated. This is bigger than the families involved, as several pages have been quoted in the news that they got emails from him that bothered them but they did not want to speak up for fear of it hurting job prospects.

So what was I making up???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.