1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is forgiveness required in all cases?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by CoJoJax, Feb 15, 2009.

1. CoJoJax

CoJoJax New Member

Today in church, our pastor did a sermon on forgiveness and preached out of Matthew 18; specifically verses 21-35.

I had a question or two about it, if you guys don't mind taking a shot at it.

As a saved person, are you expected to forgive everything and anything? As a saved person, are there any exceptions? Not that I'm trying to get around Jesus' teachings, I'm just wondering! Example .. family of 9/11 victims .. despite the horrific event that killed their family member, are they still required to forgive the killers? Even if the killers were not saved or Christians themselves? Especially considering the circumstances in the example, the killers aren't alive any longer, so are you even required to forgive them anymore (especially since they likely are now in hell).

Hopefully these aren't dumb questions but I'm just wanting a deeper understanding of everything. Answers with scripture included are very appreciated! :thumbs:

(Edit: I realize that's more than 2 questions there .. bare with me. And if this is supposed to be in the Study forum and not this one, let me know .. my bad!)

#1 CoJoJax, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2009
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't Jesus command us to forgive? Didn't Jesus say that the Father will forgive us in the same manner that we forgive others?

Yes, we should forgive. That doesn't mean we don't grieve, and it doesn't mean it might take us some time to work through all the emotions. But we should forgive others just as Almighty God has forgiven us.

And I don't see why it matters if they are saved or not.

peace to you:praying:

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It would seem that Christ offers no other option than forgiveness. When we forgive greatly we emulate the very nature of Jesus whom we are trying to become more like.

I wonder how much greater a forgiveness as mentioned above replicates the kind ultimate forgivness which Christ did for us and those who crucified Him. :)

4. CoJoJax

CoJoJax New Member

Well I guess that pretty much sums up it all up right there ..

This is why I post on here .. to find the answers to dumb questions that pop up in my head. :laugh:

I have good intentions .. I swear!

Thanks again.

5. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20 Member

nm. I found my answer.

#5 mparkerfd20, Feb 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2009
  6. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

I would be sorely put upon for the people that Madoff swindeled and has that smirky smile to be forgiven for what he has done to them and their future. I have heard that three people have taken their own life because of him ruining them and others. There's to much natural man in me to consider giving him forgiveness for what he has done. It sees that all these powerful people can get by with hurting their fellowman.

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Funny thing about forgiving, when we forgive others we are the first ones healed. We no longer have a burden of hatred or anger when we give it over to God.:godisgood:

8. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Where am I told to forgive everyone of everything?

Doesn't the Bible tell me forgive as I am forgiven?

Am I not forgiven by repenting and asking Christ?

Am I to forgive unrepentant evils?

Just asking.

9. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Yes. If we want forgiveness we are to forgive. Jesus teaches that in parables,When He taught the disciples how to pray, and over and over again in His earthly ministry.

The practical side of forgiveness is when we do forgive the burden of resentment and hate, and a bunch of other bad feelings are lifted from us like a big heavy rock.:godisgood:

10. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I do not think that when the Bible says to forgive as you are forgiven it is talking about taking all the steps. I believe the bible is telling us God forgives us so we should forgive period. I also believe that God tells us to forgive for our own best interest not those who have wronged us.

But this is just my opinion.

11. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Just as God's forgiveness is not unconditional, neither should ours be. God does not wink at sin and simply forgive us without any responsibility on our part. Those that God forgives are those who come seeking forgiveness. I John 1:9 makes this clear:

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Only when we confess our wrongs are our sins forgiven. Now, not harboring anger or resentment is not the same thing as extending forgiveness. Even if we're never given the opportinuty to extend forgiveness to someone who wrongs us, we simply move on - there's no need to allow a root of bitterness to reside in our hearts. But like with the Lord, true forgiveness can not be granted until it is sought after and asked for.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

In the Bible.

Yes, forgive since you have been forgiven by God.

You are forgiven of sins but you are told to forgive others of their wrongs against you.

Yes.

We just had a sermon on this yesterday - we are commanded to forgive.

Forgiveness does not mean, however, that you have to trust the person who hurt you - the trust has to be earned.

It does not mean you have to become best friends with the person you forgive, either.

Forgiveness means you release them from the debt they owe you, whether they ask for it or not, whether they are saved or not, whether they even know whether or not you are forgiving them (it could be a dead person).

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

that would be my opinion also. forgiveness isn't for the benefit of the other person, it's for our benefit.

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a good one.

The only thing I would add is, what about unrepentent sinning/evil?

15. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

So if Obana signs that stimulus package,( which was done by outside interest of the International Bankers before it was ever given a vote by both houses) and this nation goes belly-up, then we are suppose to forgive and forget. I have trouble with that.

16. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Reference?

Yes, forgive since you have been forgiven by God.[/QUOTE]
    I am forgiven by confession. Couldn't forgive as I have been forgiven imply this same method?

Reference?

Where does it tell me to forgive everything and everyone?

Doesn't true forgivness imply that we forget?

From a personal point of view I have no problem with your stance. I forgive and forget very easily. Nothing on my part, that's just how God made me. I was like that even before I was saved. However I am not 100% convinced this is scriptural. I can't think of any direct instruction to do so. I can list examples of Stephen and Christ doing just this. But if we are to be like Christ and we say that means forgiving everyone of everything wouldn't that imply that God does the same and none would be lost. Even though they did not believe in Christ, repent, or ask forgiveness? I'm just kinda thinking out loud.

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!!!

Forgive? Yes! Forget? Do you really think this is a possibility, barring a direct act of God to block your memory? I don't remember any scripture telling me to "forget".

I look at it this way. Someone has wronged me or a loved one - drunk driver, dope addict, over zealous cop, --there's no way what's been done can be un-done, OR forgotten. But if I truly forgive the offending party - I may not like them, or trust them, or even want to be friends with them - but I can remember the damaging episode without feeling that I have to get revenge!

In other words I can remember the episode and the only feeling it evokes in me toward the offender is nothing more scathing than the emotion of thinking that "-today is Tuesday-"; IE you remember the facts, but the searing emotions are gone by your choice.

Hard? Most certainly, but as noted by another poster, it's more for your benefit than the forgivee.

18. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you are in error on this issue.

What about sins you have committed and simply forgot about? Do those sins remain unforgiven?

What about those things that you do that you don't believe are sins, but, in fact, are sins?

Scripture tells us about a paraletic that was brought to Jesus so as to be healed of his condition, and Jesus, seeing their faith (his companions and the man), said to the man "your sins are forgiven".

Now, there is no record in scripture that the man had asked for forgiveness of his sins, or that he was even aware of his sins. Jesus, seeing the faith that they had in His ability to heal, forgave the man's sins.

So, your attempt to make this an absolute statement (i.e. "only when we confess our sins are our sins forgiven") is not supported by scripture.

peace to you:praying:

#18 canadyjd, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2009
  19. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord's Prayer sayd, "Forgive us our trespasses [sins] as we forgive those who trespass [sin] against us." The responsiblity is ours to forgive. We will be forgiven by God in the way we forgive others.

It is the same with judgement. We will be judged in the same manner that we judge others.

Scary stuff.

20. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree!:thumbs: