1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is frequent the theatre Sin?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by John3v36, Jan 25, 2005.

?
  1. Yes (you should never go to moves)

95.8%
  2. No (as Long as the move clean)

4.2%
  3. ???????? (((( NOT SURE ))))???????

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

I the old days we were told never to to the moves because we are Baptist and Baptist do not go to moves. so here is the question

Is frequent the theatre Sin?

2. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

I'm Not sure myself I can not fine the topic in the Bible.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The problem is there are a lot of Baptists who will say it is wrong to go to the theater because you are supporting a wicked industry, but they see no problem with renting the same movies they will not see in the theater. What is the differnce?

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

4His_glory, I've found that the movie industry makes a good scapegoat. It's eay to call them a wicked industry, because ther's simply no retort to the claim. The biggest grossing movies of all time are all family friendly or moderately family friendly. And, you're right. Those who make such claims often have no problem renting the movie or watching it on cable. As though it somehow absolves them of responsibility.

Now, I have gone to the theatre several times in the last year. The last movies I have seen are "Ray" and "The Incredibles". Where is the sin?

5. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Another Pharasaical 'fundy' posting. Ok, where's the poll about women wearing pants/slacks? :rolleyes:

I voted "NO!". Going to movies is NOT A SIN!

6. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I personally think this is somthing between a person and God, it is a matter of soul liberty.

Those who say that a theater is "sin" or a movie is sin, forget that sin is not an objective object that can be held in ones hands, but somthing that exists within ones very self. A televion is not "sin." If I overhear a curse word at the grocery store, I am not being a partaker of sin.

But when I beign to violate the glory of God by repeating certain words myself and watching things that would hinder my relationship with Christ, or tempt me to lust, I am certainly committing sin. And obviously certain films contain media that is clearly perveted and unsriptural, and by allowing it to enter into my mind I may be setting myself up for a fall.

On the other hand though there are plenty of movies that I personally don't have a problem seeing, I do not feel that I am sin watching them. On our DVD player we have a TVG that zaps the bad words, which for many movies are the only vice they have and are otherwise decent stories, like "Bobby Jones Stroke of Genius."

8. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

What about abstain from all appearance of evil? (I am playing devil's advocate with this!).

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Theoretically, if going to the movies is sinfull, then the same would apply in having the internet connected to your house.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever is not of faith is sin. If you're not sure, don't do it.

Can someone explain how one seeks the Kingdom of God and His righteousness at the movies?

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I guess I better refrain from tying my shoes, chewing gum, using toilet paper, and using my iced tea maker. None of those are of faith. :rolleyes: Sarcasm aside, I think that's a case of taking a verse out of context.
    I agree. But too many people think soul libert means "use my judgement instead of your own". :eek:

12. superdave

superdave New Member

Its what you watch, not where you watch it.

If I was going to avoid someone thinking I was going to the wrong movie, than I'd best not have a TV, VCR, DVD player, Cable, or the Internet in my home, after all, someone might assume the worst.

Stop the madness.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Too late! Mainline Christianity is being hijacked by the hyperfundamentalist movement, which is liberalism in conservative clothing.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, fundamentalism is having little influence or effect on Christianity or even our culture in general.

280 million in America. How many would be self-proclaimed "fundamentalists"?

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really, the context is given concerning the mundane, the things which we eat and drink and whether or not they give offense to our brethren.

Romans 14
    19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
    20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
    21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
    22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
    23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

After all, someone might be offended by your iced tea since it contains caffeine (even if it is decaf it has the appearnce of evil - to some).

Or chewing gum, say, in church is quite offensive to some.

Etc, etc.

The test of faith in this context is "offense" to the brethren. To do or not to do.

21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

However it does say "have it to thyself before God".

HankD

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I guess I better refrain from tying my shoes, chewing gum, using toilet paper, and using my iced tea maker. None of those are of faith. :rolleyes: Sarcasm aside...
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, put the sarcasm aside. You're no good at it.

The second sentence in my post explains the application which is the correct reading of the verse.
    You might as well put your thinking aside too. You're not good at it either. :rolleyes:

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Whatever is not of faith is sin. If you're not sure, don't do it.

Can someone explain how one seeks the Kingdom of God and His righteousness at the movies?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I doubt most Christians are seeking the Kingdom these days, Aaron.

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

I don't know what it means exactly to be a friend of the world, but I know I don't want to be one. You won't miss anything if you don't go to the movies. But you might be missing out on something if you do go.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] for James' post.

Psalm 119:37 may apply:

Turn my eyes away from worthless things.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Then if you're so adamant about the theater being evil, WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING ON THE INTERNET???? :rolleyes: That's got to be the most obvious double standard there is.

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then if you're so adamant about the theater being evil...</font>[/QUOTE]Huh? :confused: I never said anything of the sort. I merely asked for those who are justifying the theatre to elaborate on their justifications.

How is the Internet anything like the theatre? Here I interact with real people concerning Christ and His Kingdom.

Is that what goes on at the theatre? But you do have a point. If I am to remain faithful to Ps. 119:37, I may have to refrain from reading your posts.