1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is frequent the theatre Sin?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by John3v36, Jan 25, 2005.

?
  1. Yes (you should never go to moves)

95.8%
  2. No (as Long as the move clean)

4.2%
  3. ???????? (((( NOT SURE ))))???????

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Flatulence? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Better not do THAT in the theatre!

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

Yes.

But only in this situation. If the wife say has a weak conscience toward wine but does not ask her husband to commit to not having a wine at any time then he would not be sinning, if for instance he had a glass of wine at a business dinner when he is out. I think though in most cases the wife would ask for a commitment here.

There are actually some who oppose wine at all times for themselves, but simply ask other brothers who do not have the same conviction to keep it from their presense.

Again its a tricky situation, because a man lives with his wife. And this really is the crux of the matter - living with someone in the bond of marriage is a very different situation, something you refuse to accept.

No she is not judging my liberty if she asks for commitment, and in the uniqueness of our relationship it is not wrong for her to ask such a thing. There may be times though, when she and I will disagree(hypothecially) on other matters of conscience where I will not make a commitment. For instance, lets say my wife is totally against CCM music and asks me to make a commitment to never listen to CCM again. I may compromise with her and tell her I will not listen to it in her presense, but outside her presense I will and I make this known to her. Here I am exerting my authority, yet I am still compromising.

What if my wife feels we should tithe and I as the head of the house believe we are not under the tithe, if my wife asks for us to commit to tithe I might tell her no.

[​IMG]

IFBReformer

[ April 05, 2005, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: IfbReformer ]

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Sometimes these types of threads remind me of the constant "discussions" of the Rabbi's and Doctors of the Law.

Interesting parallel.

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes.</font>[/QUOTE]I say no.

So, you see, you want to interpret love in light of Romans 14 et al when you should be interpreting Romans 14 et al in light of what Christ has said about love.

So it's no use to argue anymore about whether or not Paul's statement was hyperbole, or of the other trifles contained therein if we don't agree about love.

It's not tricky at all if you understand love. It's really quite simple. It only gets tricky when you want to love yourself more than your wife or brother.

I refuse to accept your definitions of love simply because they're unbiblical.

Anyway. I really am done now. Perhaps you could start a thread on love.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What else is there to talk about that is of any value, Jim? Psalms 119:97, O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Amen!

Psalm 1
    1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
    2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

7. superdave

superdave New Member

I must have missed the "Thou shalt not view moving pictures in a theatre" part of the Law. Hmmmm.

Discernment is an important skill/gift that it would be great if more christians would try to develop. Perhaps they then would not resort to Legislative protections to avoid all possibility of temptation.

I believe it was one of the first missionaries in Europe who said we are not under the Law, but under Grace. Its about our relationship with Jesus, and how we resemble him. My goal is that people would see Jesus in my life, and they don't see that when I resemble the Scribes and Pharisees more than Jesus, or those ordinary guys that he trained to follow him.

8. superdave

superdave New Member

Flatulance in the Theatre, yeah, that would go over like a fart in church :D

9. Bookworm

Bookworm Member

Why do that when we have been talking about love right here? Does love require that I act on the convictions of other believers even if they are not around? Am I showing a lack of love for my KJVO brothers if I use a different version of the Bible? If a first-century pastor had his doubts about whether a pastor should be married (after all, Paul wasn't married), would other pastors be showing a lack of love to him if they got married?