1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Global Warming Occurring? If So, What Causes It?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Sep 18, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Does mankind’s burning of fossil fuels and production of greenhouse gases contribute to global warming? Of course, but no one really knows to what extent.Those who claim that man is the sole cause of global warming have not addressed the key question: Why does the earth have so much ice in the first place? Apart from the worldwide flood, explanations for the ice age run into scientific problems. Scientists who have studied the ice age in great detail know these problems, although few others do.

Since the peak of the ice age, melting ice has raised sea level at least 300 feet;5 man did not cause that rise. (Man began increasing CO2 emissions thousands of years later, in about 1800, at the start of the industrial revolution.) Without some unexpected development, sea level will rise an 200 feet more in the next few thousand years. This steady rise will be apparent in a few decades. If increasing greenhouse gases turn out to be a major factor, the rise will be even faster.
    Yes, atmospheric CO2 (carbon dioxide) is increasing, but most of it is due to the warming of oceans which then release some of the CO2 they contain. (Our oceans contain 50 times more CO2 than the atmosphere.) In other words, CO2 increases did not produce much global warming; warming produced most increases in CO2.

http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/FAQ215.html#wp2902324

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Global warming is caused by the sun. The earth's climate is cyclical. How can one make a judgment that the climate during the last half of the 20th century is the ideal one for the earth? Maybe the climate in the 15th century was the ideal one. We don't know.

The earth's climate has its cycles and man can't cause or stop them.

3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Amen, Bro. Ken! :thumbs:

4. JustPassingThru

Site Supporter

Is Global Warming Occurring?
    It seems a bunch of scientists have data that indicates the earth is going through a warming cycle or, possibly, trend.

If So, What Causes It?
    Beats me. And I don't believe anyone else can say with authority what is causing the warming.

But that doesn't stop folks from all points on the political spectrum from pushing their interpretations and recommended actions. Responsible stewardship is always smart, but the farthest-out green fanatics have gone too far, again.

5. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Isaiah 5:14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

...just a theory like everyone else has

6. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I'll leave the answer to the top scientists, not the politicians on either side. However, even if CO emissions did not affect global warming it certainly has an adverse effect on our quality of life and health. What gives us the right to trash God's creation? My understanding is He left us as caretakers of His creation.

7. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

RE: Is Global Warming Occurring? If So, What Causes It?

Hi All !

As was stated in an earlier post,the earth's environment goes through periods of warming and cooling every 1500 years. The sun's surface goes through sun spot cycles that throws out greater heat at times than at others. There was a report that the surface of Mars was warming, but there is no human activity to blame it on... Hmmm...

In the 1970's the fear was a global ice age by the early 2000's. Also,the air was very polluted back then. But, as the air got cleaner, perhaps the earth got warmer since more sunlight is reaching the ground.

And,consider the fact that many of the temperature reporting styations are in cities, near concrete surfaces, even "burn barrels" and air conditioning vents, (see: http://www.surfacestations.org ), of course it's getting warmer. And these observations don't match the temperature data from NASA & NOAA satellites which measure the temperature of the whole earth,not just the cities.

Also, much of the hysteria has a religious bent to it, worshipping the creation: Gaia/ Mother Earth. That's idolatry isn't it ?

Here are two more resources to fight the "global warming" hysteria:

" Uncontrollable Global Warming Every 1500 Years " by Dennis Avery & S. Fred Singer

and S. Fred Singer's website : Science & Environmental Policy
    http://www.sepp.org

Real science instead of science fiction. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Don't trust the media.

In Christ,

Dale

8. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Yes I went to get my car inspected and it did not pass because my tent on my window was to dark but you can see in and out of it very good. So what does that have to do with the emissions and the quality of life and heath. It is all about more money out of are wallets. I do not believe that has anything to do with the taking care of the earth and plus they charged me a fine of 10.00 more because I had it on there. I did not put it on there. It was on there when I got the car. I think that is all about money with something like that and another thing what about the dump trucks every time I go by one of them it blows out a big ball of black smoke and smells really bad and I get find for tent on my window.

9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

That's the liberal way.Tax it! If there is a problem, tax it! Taxes make the world go round! A tax a day keeps the IRS man away! When you don't know what to do, tax it! If your successful and productive, tax it! If your lazy and worthless, tax the other guy! If life hands you lemons, tax it! If you can't afford your taxes, tax it!

10. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The most vocal scientists have a greenback axe to grind, and CO2 emissions positively effect plant growth, which produces O2.

God is going to trash this place Himself in about a thousand years.

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

There is at least some evidence that one of the biggest causes of global warming, is 'political hot air', I think I heard from somewhe...

Ed

12. Pete

Pete New Member

How dare you people make jokes about this serious situation. In the last few weeks in this part of Australia there has been a marked increase in temperature...

...although that could be attributed to the approach of summer and a looming Federal election :laugh:

I thought it was more a quasi-pantheist-gaiaist thing myself but anyway....

I remember the imminent Next Great Ice Age™ being preached as Gospel when I was in high school 23 years ago. It seems that the Gaiaists down this way are tiring of being embarrassed when reminded of this, so now instead of calling it Global Warming, the buzz-word is now Climate Change - a stroke of brilliance renaming it, the name-change means that now whether tomorrow is warmer or cooler than today it's just all your fault either way :rolleyes:

They can have their quasi-pantheist-gaiaism, I'll have Genesis 8:22 :wavey:

13. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

From my take there are two conflicting sets of conventional wisdom at play:

1) Even with advanced tech stuff the weather guys can't even accurately predict the weather for the next two hours in an isolated region. The prospect of predicting the entire globe's temperature over the next centurey looks even more absurd.

2) On the other hand, it does make sense to believe that all the gases we burn must have some effect somewhere eventually.

That being said, I'm not remotely scientifically minded. This issue still seems too hypothetical to me, especially in light of some of the more drastic measures dems have advocated.

14. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

For what it's worth, my biggest problem with global warming (real or imagined) is the potential threat it poses to property rights. If all polution is bad, and theoretically it would be, then where is the proverbial line drawn? I have yet to hear a response to this other than the typical "you'll know it when you see it" attitude.