1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God a Failure?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Butler, Dec 6, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...except you left off the rejection.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Allan, you know me too well. We've discussed this before, so I'd rather not chase this rabbit right now. But I confess it did occur to me.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Then let me add it. Non-Cals: If anyone rejects Christ and is not saved, it's not God's fault.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Sorry Andy. Thanks for the clarification.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Better if by rejection we mean (Websters):
    1 a: to refuse to accept, consider, submit to, take for some purpose, or use <rejected the suggestion> <reject a manuscript> b: to refuse to hear, receive, or admit :

:)

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Allan, let me cherry-pick through this post:
    Not only must be through faith, but it will be through faith.

Agreed. The gospel call is valid and sincere to all to whom it is preached.

Hmm, I don't understand. Here we are agreeing again.

Agree again. You sure you're not a closet Calvinist? Or maybe I'm a closet non-Cal.
    The rest of your post covers ground we've covered before, so I won't repeat it.

You are so easy.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Since I think non-Cals ought to be able to define the terms of their position, whatever definition you pick is fine with me. You saw what happened when I tried to define it for them.

8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

My son and I will be chasing some rabbits in January...hopefully all the way to the stew pot!

Carry on.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Since my question was never answered, I'lll ask it again and open it up to everyone.

Quote:
    And here I was thinking the noncals were the ones who thought God was a failure, after all if He died for ALL the sins of ALL the people, why are there people in hell?

Using that logic does this verse make God a failure in the eyes of Calvinists?

Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Since Hell was prepared by God for the devil and his angels, and not for man did God fail in that millions of men end up there?

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though I'm not a Calvinist you certainly have a point here. Since Calvinism holds to a particular view of who will be saved and who won't by limiting election and atonement it would certainly seems as if God must have failed in there eyes.
    MB

11. Salamander

Salamander New Member

God gives all to the Son who come to Him for rest for their weary souls.

The fact remains that all sinners don't get weary of the burden of sin, they tend to flaunt it instead.

All who come to him shall not ever be cast out as those he never knew. God never knew anyone who has not come to Him for forgiveness. This "knowledge" deals expressly with rekationship that first must be established through coming to God in a broken will.

A broken will speaks of weariness due to the complications of sin.

No one has ever limited who can come or how many will come or even how many can come who get weary of the burden that sin places on everyone, inclusive of all of mankind.

God's grace never excludes, it is found to be inclusive of all who come and anyone can, it's just everyone won't.

From my "vile mouth".:godisgood: and I'm vile.

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

My previous post answers your question

From my "vile mouth":godisgood: and I'm vile.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Confession is good for the soul.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists have insisted that God had a particular design of the atonement whereby certain ones would be saved.That was the Lord's specific intention.How you can possibly construe this as failure on God's part is puzzling as well as blasphemous.

15. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Sorry if I missed it, but I don't see how that addressed my question.

16. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

In fairness to MB, I think you misunderstood the point he was making. He was responding to my post.

This was posted earlier in the thread.
    Quote:
    And here I was thinking the noncals were the ones who thought God was a failure, after all if He died for ALL the sins of ALL the people, why are there people in hell?

In response to that, I posed this question:

Using that logic does this verse make God a failure in the eyes of Calvinists?

Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Since Hell was prepared by God for the devil and his angels, and not for man did God fail in that millions of men end up there?

MB was just reponding to my question.

#56 Steven2006, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
  17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

John 6:37 has an order. God gives to the Son, the given will come, not vice versa.