1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God in Heaven presently corporeal.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Greatest I am, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

Then if God really has a body like ours, what does He do with it over time?
    Does it just sit in Heaven for these millions of years?
    Is the talking snake of Genesis also real?

Regards
    DL

2. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

Thanks for the suggestion. I will take time to read further and decide later.

Regards
    DL

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You'll have to ask Him :)
    While I woldn't call God an 'it', won't we still have real bodies along with Christ when time comes to an end? yes.
    Absolutely. And don't forget Baalam's talking donkey.

4. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

I can't find reference to Baalam in my Bible.
    Perhaps the snake swallowed it.

Regards
    DL

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You don't have Numbers 24 in your Bible?

Either you are trolling on here, or have a very small grasp on Scripture.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting conversation, though I think some around here aren't getting the anthropomorphical usage of language in Scripture.

God is compositely simple in His parts, that is God an incoporeal being having no physical parts.

This is the classical (and correct) way to understand God. To suggest otherwise denies the teaching of Scripture.

Notice Paul's words in Colossians 1:15: [Christ] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation, (clarification mine)

Paul points out clearly that God is an essence and not a physical being.

Thus, when Genesis points out that we are created in God image...the Imago Dei...the point is that God created us in His spiritual image before the fall. Adam and Eve were created as eternal, complete, spiritually whole beings whom had the dust of the earth formed around their spiritual essence they were created with. At the Fall that Imago Dei was shattered and could only be restored by Jesus Christ (the Second Adam.)

just my contributions. The NT is clear that God is not a physical being, but more of an essence. :)

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Christ being the physical image of the invisible God doesn't mean God is invisible, but God has chosen to reveal Christ's physicality in His way. If anything, "invisible" is an anthropomorphosic phrase, since the Trinity is three in one...and since mankind has seen Christ...mankind has also seen the Father and Holy Spirit. The Trinity is totally integrated, and you cannot remove One.

#47 webdog, Jun 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It's spelled Balaam. I think that's the problem. Although anyone familiar with the Bible should have picked up on the typo or misspelling.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Scarlett, this is not true. I never claimed women aren't created in the image of God, but they were done so in a different manner.

If an artist draws the latest automobile, and the engineer builds the automobile based on the artists drawing, the end result of the car was based on the original drawing. That's what I mean. God created man. Man is created in God's image. God created woman from man. Since man is created in God's image...and woman from man...woman is also created in God's image.

#49 webdog, Jun 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for helping me understand what you were saying.

Happy Father's Day. :applause:

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you. Going back over my post I can see where the misunderstanding was. The words come out faster through my fingers than my brain can filter.

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

okay, this is like saying my cheeseburger really not a cheeseburger but a hamburger with cheese...

I think you misunderstand the Trinity, but I'll get to that later. Paul isn't saying this and when we read this plainly we see that Christ is the physical manifestation of the Trinune Godhead. That in His person Jesus Christ represents the physical representation of the Trinity.

Paul's point is unmistakable. God is invisible, He has no parts. Christ is physical.

Notice Paul's continuation of this point in 1 Timothy 6:16: He alone possesses immortality and lives in unapproachable light, whom no human has ever seen or is able to see. To him be honor and eternal power! Amen.

Also we need not forget John 4:24 which states God is spirit

You simply don't get what makes something "anthropomorphic." Anthropomorphic langauge deals with words and phrases common to the human experience and human traits. For instance when the biblical text uses words like "hands" "feet" etc. that is anthropomorphic language.

Also your line of reasoning is problematic. In seeing Christ those contemporaries saw the Word of God amongst them but not all three persons of the Trinity at once.

I agree the Trinity starts with a proper understanding of Tri-unity but we must realize that each person of the Trinity (God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit) is a unique personal being of the Trinity. Each is equally divine and equally eternal but each has unique personhood.

Christ is a unique member of the Trinity and a personal expression of the Trinity. While we certainly can't remove one of the members we also certainly can't cram them all into one person.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible says we cannot see God and live. How can the possiblity to even see an invisible God and perish still exist...if there is nothing to see?
    And Paul wasn't using an anthropomorphic phrase, but literalness?
    Bible also states God is Love...your point? The phrase "only" doesn't precede spirit.

14. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

I have the same belief.
    How does this effect the resurrection of Jesus? The physical resurrection is used as proof of His divinity.

Regards
    DL

15. Greatest I am

Greatest I am Banned

Where did God get, you know?

regards
    DL