1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

is God our servant?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, May 8, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

i've been noticing alot lately, on this board, and in other places.

that alot of christians tend to say things like "we are His sheep, and when we stray, he will come find us" or "Jesus will forgive me cause he died for ALL sin"

things like that. can't think of anymore right now. i'll provide more once i hear them.

the thing i find wrong with this is that we are technically putting God out to be our servant...

"HE will come find US" it baffles me. have any of you noticed this type of thing happening? the term "God our servant" may be exaggerating a little bit. "sometimes in exaggeration, we see ourselves most clearly."

then i look at the prodigal son. the father didn't go looking for the son. the father waited, but didn't go looking for him.

another anecdote: do shephards have lambs? when you look out at a flock of sheep, do you see the shephard out there giving birth to lambs? no. sheep have lambs. we are the sheep. He is the shephard. we are to go out there and serve Him.

yes i know only one can come to the son except the father draws him and vice versa. and only God saves.

but this does concern me. its like, we've accepted God's grace - and then expect God to do everything good for us.

that's frightening. no?
    what are your thoughts?
    please dont go on trying to disprove this all by scripture and that. please use scripture. dont get uptight about it. i just want to know if any have noticed this. and what your thoughts are...

God bless.

2. standingfirminChrist

It is true that the Father did not go looking for his son, but the Word does tell us that he saw his son while he was still a good distance off and ran to him.

We also have to look at Christ's Words, 'I am come to seek and save that which is lost'

also, the parable of the shepherd seeking the one lamb that strayed does show that Christ will not let us run our own way for long before He will chasten us.

Does He have to find us again? I do not beleive He does, as He promised He would never leave us, nor forsake us. He knows exactly where we are at all times, but many times people give in to the flesh.

3. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

Jesus also talks of leaving the 99 to go find a 'stray'...

That's pretty comforting to me...

On the other side of the coin, though.

There is a trend, at least in the Charismatic/Pentecostal side of things, to see God as a great big 'commandable' Santa Claus...

This I find deplorable...

I see myself as a Joint Heir with Christ...

But, the military man in me understands that I am also a soldier 'under authority' and I serve my commanding officer...

I may be a son...

With the full rights and priviledges thereof...

But, part of the package is my mandatory enlistment in His Army... (As a Boot Private!)

Off Duty, as it were, He can and will hug me as Abba Father...

But, there are times when I am on duty and must relate to Him as My Sovreign...

If I love Him I will allow Him to be Lord, and even disciplinarian, when needs be...

Knowing that discipline lasts but for a season and the hugs will always return...

There!

That ought to get the conversation started! :D

Mike Sr.

4. gekko

gekko New Member

i just remembered something.

when a shephard notices that a sheep is lost. he goes looking for it. and when its found, he breaks the leg of the sheep, and carries it back. and then it heals.

i think that's how its done. not sure. but i like that illustration.

it is true that God will never leave us nor forsake us.

but i think we tend to leave out our side of the deal. it is possible for us to leave and forsake God. i mean. look at my dad for instance - he used to be a christian - but now has left and gone after orthodox judaism believing that Jesus is not the messiah, and that christians essentially believe in three God's... etc.

please pray for him.
    i think of peter. peter denied Christ 3 times... and look how peter ended up. closer to God then most anybody. (not meaning to speak of a 'respecting of persons') but you get the picture.

5. gekko

gekko New Member

i like what you said there SMM. that opens it up a little more.

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

gekko

The Bible portrays God as the Shepherd and we as His lost sheep... and He seeks after us.

Ps:119:176: I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments.

Also, yes the Father was at home when the prodgal son went astray, but the Father in heaven sends out His Holy Spirit to woo us back... it was the assurance of the Father's love that made the son have courage to come home.

Jer:31:3: The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

Rom:2:4: ...the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance

7. SpiritualMadMan

Oh~~~~~

Ouch~~~~~

Do we ~~~Really~~~ want a picture of a loving Shepherd who breaks a sheeps leg so it can't go wandering off until it has a chance to relearn its master voice? :D

This kind of goes back to what I've been saying about how while I believe in a theoretical possibility of losing one's salvation...

I don't at all think it's very easy (or enjoyable? :D ) to do so...

I mean why run off if He's just going to come after you, anyway...

And, then there's that broken leg thing...

Mike Sr.

8. gekko

gekko New Member

haha. that's funny.

but it works don't it? the broken leg thing?

thats a good verse claudia

9. SpiritualMadMan

Oh yes...

Every father chastins the son he loves...

No discipline... No love...

But, that's another thread. [​IMG]

10. gekko

gekko New Member

sure is. haha.