1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is God Passible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by a SATS prof, Jan 4, 2016.

1. a SATS prof

a SATS prof Member

. I disagree as I believe God has emotion (not controlled by emotion but responds to external events with genuine emotion). In terms of sin, God responds in genuine anger, perhaps grief as well, as an expression of his immutable nature.

So if God acts in accord with his immutable nature in response to something (even if he is the cause of that something) then he is passable.[/QUOTE]

2. a SATS prof

a SATS prof Member

I think there are several good thinkers here!

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I looked up "impassible" spelled with an "i" rather than an "a" (ible not able.) Sure enough the meaning was "not subject to suffering or pain." Next, based on the response that Jesus is God and did suffer, we learn that "divine nature" was meant to refer to God the Father.

God the Father is a "person" having the three qualities of personhood, intellect, emotion and will. Since God experiences (or can choose to experience) emotion, why not suffering and "emotional pain?"

Why does Genesis 6:3 say God's Spirit will not strive with man? Sounds like God is not willing to suffer endlessly or needlessly.

4. a SATS prof

a SATS prof Member

---
    Van:
    Thanks for your dictionary research. IMO: Jesus suffered, yes! But Scripture says Jesus is both God and man. IMO, Jesus as God created; as man He did not create.. But Jesus as man was born in time-as God He was not born in time. Some recorded experiences of Jesus Christ pertain only to His deity. Others pertain only to His humanity. IMO only in His humanity did He suffer and die.

IMO, the divine nature in Christ is not the Father; it is the Logos whom some deem the eternal Son.

IMO God exists in eternity. By that I mean He IS AT ONCE in the past and in the present and in the future. Were that true, then I wonder how what happens in time can affect God's Being in time.

Also IMO, God does not change. But IF He becomes sad or grieved in time, that may be a change.

Also,I think that God being perfect, omniscient, and sovereign may be arguments for impassibility. IF God has perfect foreknowledge and exists in eternity, then He would know before the beginning of time all things which might be thought to cause Him grief or anger. THen, were this so, He does not BEGIN to grieve or anger

Very good theologians disagree including Grudem.

Open Theists, of course, also disagree.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course one can assert whenever scripture says Jesus suffered, it was His mankind nature, not His divine nature. But without evidence, the assertion must be classified as an argument from silence.

Agreed, Jesus is God the Son, the second person of the Trinity, the Word, Logos, and not the first person, God the Father. My opinion is all three persons of the Trinity suffered.

Again, no argument that the Trinity existed always, eternally and created time. But the claim the Trinity did not experience "spiritual time" is again an argument from silence. We know that people in heaven are aware of the passage of time.

And again, when we say God does not change or is immutable, we mean His characteristics do not change, He is same yesterday, today and forever. OTOH, God makes conditional covenants, if we do this, He will do that, if we do not, then He will do something else, such as if we repent, He will relent.

Lastly just because we know something, does not preclude it grieving us. I know my father is dead, but when something nifty happens, I often think "oh I can tell Dad about this" only to realize at least for the time being, I cannot.

6. a SATS prof

a SATS prof Member

#26 a SATS prof, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it's become a hot potato amongst Reformed Baptists recently. I believe that there's been a split (amicable, I understand) within A.R.B.C.A. over the issue.
    Just recently, no fewer than three books have been written on the subject; you can find them all at http://www.rbap.net/ To my shame, I must confess that I have not yet bought one of them, much less read them :oops:

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An argument from silence is to claim an attribute of God without any scriptural support. John 5:26 does not address whether God the Father can suffer or experience emotional pain. No one said or suggested God the Father ever died. No verse says only Jesus suffered, and the Father and the Spirit never suffered.

If your view is that God cannot experience emotion, then a whole slew of additional verses indicate otherwise.

#28 Van, Jan 5, 2016
  9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The doctrine of Impassibility is new to me, although not so strange that I can't relate to it. It was a slow day at work today (probably the last slow day for the rest of the month) and I searched Amazon for books dealing with this…and up popped a book I already own, D.A. Carsons, The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God. There's a heading entitled, "A Rightly Constrained Impassability".

What he writes helps me to put impassibility in a proper perspective.

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Yet before we utterly write off the impassibility of God, we must gratefully recognize what that doctrine is seeking to preserve. It is trying to ward off the kind of sentimentalizing views of the love of God and of other emotions (“passions”) in God that ultimately make him a souped-up human being but no more. For instance, a God who is terribly vulnerable to the pain caused by our rebellion is scarcely a God who is in control or a God who is so perfect he does not, strictly speaking, need us. …

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    …I am suggesting that we will successfully guard against the evils that impassibility combats if we recognize that God’s “passions,” unlike ours, do not flare up out of control. Our passions change our direction and priorities, domesticating our will, controlling our misery and our happiness, surprising and destroying or establishing our commitments. But God’s “passions,” like everything else in God, are displayed in conjunction with the fullness of all his other perfections." (Carson, pp. 59, 61).
    [Still having problems with not being able to post longer messages!]

Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We must be careful not to confuse impassibility with apathy. Gods emotions are eternal and constant.
    His love for His people is from everlasting (Jer. 31:3; Eph. 1:4-6).
    His love for His people is constant (John 10:28; Heb. 13:5).
    His hatred for sin was right from the start (Gen. 3:14ff).
    His anger against sinners is constant (Psalm 7:11).
    His salvation was planned in eternity (Titus 1:2) and is all of Him, not contingent on us (James 1:18).
    Jesus Christ was the Lamb of God slain from the foundation of the world (Luke 22:22; Rev. 13:8).
    God does not change or turn (James 1:17). Any apparent change of plan was decreed in eternity (Acts 15:18).
    He is not needy and requires nothing (Psalm 50:12-13; Acts 17:25).
    Nothing that we can give Him enhances Him; it is He that enhances us (Acts 17:25-26; James 1:17).

These are just a few verses that come to mind. I'm sure that wiser brothers than I will be able to think of more and better ones.

I think it was Jurgen Moltmann who promoted a needy, touchy-feely God. He didn't find that in the Bible.

13. a SATS prof

a SATS prof Member

---

To me Jo 5:26 means that no one can kill God; Jo 4:24 means that God , as God, has no flesh. If by " all Persons in the Trinity suffered" you mean emotionally, we have no argument, IF you mean they suffered like Jesus, we do..

14. a SATS prof

a SATS prof Member

---

Martin

I think your point is very good! IMO as God is eternal and foreknowing of all, ALL His emotions are eternal. They pre exist before what creatures do. God loved us before time-- JUST IMO.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read a book several years ago titled “God is Impassible and Impassioned” by Rob Lister.

Bruce Ware wrote the forward and stated that “when sixteenth-century Roman Catholic bishops and apologists called for a theological balance of faith and works for salvation, the Reformers rightly commended their own altogether imbalanced adherence to sola fides. When contemporary pluralists urge upon the culture the balanced view of many saviors from many religions, heirs of this same Reformation heritage decry such a balance for the exclusive declaration of solus Christus. When liberal Protestants and proponents of the evangelical left commend experience and tradition alongside Scripture as the church’s multiplexed nexus of ultimate authority, true evangelicals rightly uphold and declare sola Scriptura. Yes, at times imbalance is just as important to theological fidelity as balance, yet it still stands as true that normally theological balance marks real health and faithfulness even though imbalances are at times, on certain issues, necessary. How do we know when to follow the pathway of balance or imbalance? Answer: whichever is required to be faithful to Scripture in all of its teachings, and whichever advances the truth with fullest expression and least distortion – this is the pathway that must be commended.”

We do need to tread carefully when looking at how we will view the character of God. And Martin brings up an important point in his post. Divine impassibility is not always impassible. There are many views on this doctrine. There are extreme views, and there are more “balanced” views. And we need to be careful with all of them. There are times for each.

Rob Lister stated that “many contemporary passibilists have [mistakenly he argues] taken divine impassibility to mean that God has no emotion capacity and no interest in his creation.” Some people do hold to impassibility but in the form that God is not involuntarily affected by emotion (God certainly feels, loves, hates, angers, has compassion, but this is voluntary on the part of God). The problem with an impassible but impassioned God is perhaps that the definitions get blurred. The definition that I just mentioned (impassibility meaning that God is not involuntarily affected by emotion) is the definition many denote passibility. What can occur is that people will argue against each other’s position when the only difference is definition. Martin’s doctrine of impassibility may be exactly the same as my doctrine of passibility. So we need to be careful with definitions (and we have moved away from the traditional definitions).

The Reformed position as articulated by people like John Calvin is that God has no emotion in regards to mankind, no love, no anger, no compassion because these indicate a weakness, an incompleteness, a compartmentalization, a need, a desire, and/or a control by an external force. Much of the philosophy that generated these doctrines have IMHO declined or changed within contemporary theology and thought in general. It is not as debated in general whether or not God loves or has compassion on His Children. The traditionally Reformed may answer that God is void of such “feeling” while other congregations appeal precisely to God’s love and compassion. Martin has indicated that this is becoming a debatable topic within Reformed Baptist circles, and I look forward to reading some of the materials he has listed

What I find more interesting a topic is when we move from emotion to suffering (I do not agree with the philosophy that generated the doctrine of impassibility to begin with and I disagree that emotion is suffering caused by something external). But does God, even voluntarily, suffer? I don’t think that this is even a topic except for the Cross (maybe the Incarnation as a whole). And this only to the extent to which Christ suffering is God or man. Anyway, that’s just some thoughts.

If anyone is interested, there is a book titled “Theology of the Pain of God” written by Kazoh Kitamori. I am not necessarily advocating his conclusions, but he does pose some interesting questions and observations….and I’m a collector of quotes (and here's one from that book):

“When we think of Jesus telling of the five sparrows in order to teach us trust in God, we cannot check the tears. But the feeling is something more solemn than tears: let us call it gratitude for grace.”

#35 JonC, Jan 5, 2016
  16. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SATs,
    You may already know this, but sometimes a new person to the forum doesn't.

When you want to break into a quote of another poster that you are replying too, use "[/quote]" (without the " ") and then hit the return button one time, and only that part of the quote will appear in the shaded background and your comments won't be a part of it.

If you want to continue with another part of that poster's quote, highlight and copy the first part that is in brackets, for example "[Qu ote="egghead", post: xxxxxxx, member: xxxxx"]" (again without the " "). Be sure that there is no space on the word "quote" I added it so the line would show up and not appear in a quote box. Then when you desire to again reply, if it is not at the end of that poster's post, you must again use "[/quote]," and so forth. Although, as you look at the typical end of a poster's quote, you will see that is already added - do not add it again if it already there.

Now if that isn't confusing enough, let me know. :)

17. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a quote from Calvin, or indeed from any other major Reformer to this effect?
    As I said to Van, impassibility is not to be confused with apathy.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, brother, and I apologize for not supplying the quote when I made the statement (I actually thought I had, but that may have been a lapse on my part).

“Though he is incapable of every feeling of perturbaltion, he declares that he is angry with the wicked. Wherefore, as when you hear that God is angry, we ought not to imagine that there is any emotion in him, but ought rather to consider the mode of speech accommodated to our sense, God appearing to us like one inflamed and irritated whenever he exercises Judgment, so we ought not to imagine any thing more under the term repentance than a change of action.” (John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, volume 1, pg 227)

#38 JonC, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  19. a SATS prof

a SATS prof Member

" (without the " ") and then hit the return button one time, and only that part of the quote will appear in the shaded background and your comments won't be a part of it.

If you want to continue with another part of that poster's quote, highlight and copy the first part that is in brackets, for example "[Qu ote="egghead", post: xxxxxxx, member: xxxxx"]" (again without the " "). Be sure that there is no space on the word "quote" I added it so the line would show up and not appear in a quote box. Then when you desire to again reply, if it is not at the end of that poster's post, you must again use "[/quote]," and so forth. Although, as you look at the typical end of a poster's quote, you will see that is already added - do not add it again if it already there.

Now if that isn't confusing enough, let me know. :)[/QUOTE]
    ---
    Thank you. Probably I still won't get it right! Last nite I locked the keys in the jeep and also lost my glasses. Being old ain't no fun.j

20. a SATS prof

a SATS prof Member

I think that creation can affect God emotionally, but as God is eternal and omniscient, I think those emotions are eternal not created in time.