1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God settled on one Bible translation?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Keith M, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [SIZE=+1]JERUSALEM[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]by: William Blake (1757-1827)[/SIZE]
      • [SIZE=+2][​IMG][/SIZE]ND did those feet in ancient time
      • Walk upon England's mountains green?
      • And was the holy Lamb of God
      • On England's pleasant pastures seen?
      • And did the Countenance Divine
      • Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
      • And was Jerusalem builded here
      • Among these dark Satanic Mills?
      • Bring me my bow of burning gold!
      • Bring me my arrows of desire!
      • Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
      • Bring me my chariot of fire!
      • I will not cease from mental fight,
      • Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
      • Till we have built Jerusalem
      • In England's green and pleasant land.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Be ye kind . . . Such an easy thing to not say what might be hurtful or just mean deliberately. It happens to all of us occasionally, but my goodness . . .

I also agree with "one version that is the version" part.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I wonder too about the scholarship of those fluent in biblical languages - which didn't end with any version, and I'm wondering why it can't be put to use in translating other versions. I've seen nothing in the Bible to prohibit repeated translations.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

What language do you speak/write? English? If so, God provides you one Book in English, but you have many books. Will you ask Him which accurate one is that He provides you? God settled His Word in Heaven. He has His Book for you in English. You have the ONE Book from Him. Remember that many books are not same because of the copyrighted. Not only copyrighted, but many books disagree each other in a few thousand times. Will you ask Him that He provides you many Books, NOT one Book? If many books that He provides you are corrupted, you have the problem today. Too many books in English are worst than other countries. If I speak/write in French, do I need the ONE Book from God? It would be Olivetan Bible. If I speak/write in German, do I need the ONE Book from God? It would be Luther's Bible. Romans 16:26 said, "But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:"

5. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Martin Luther himself made a number of revisions and changes in his own German translation during his lifetime so that it did not remain the same. All the editions of Luther's German Bible printed in Luther's lifetime are not 100% identical to each other.

Furthermore, after Luther's death, others have introduced changes and revisions[many spelling, some translational, and some even textual] into the German Bible. At times, different publishers were printing different and varying editions of Luther's German Bible.

In addition, there are also differences between Luther's German Bible and the KJV; differences where they both cannot be right.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can you show me where it says that there is only one Bible per language in the Scriptures? I'd appreciate seeing that.

7. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do the Scriptures teach that God provides English-speaking believers only "one" translation in English?

Are you ignoring the facts? God provided one English transation in 1535. God provided another English translation in 1537. God provided [or permitted] another English translation in 1539. God provided another English translation in 1560. God provided [or permitted] another English translation in 1568. Do you claim that God did not provide the earlier English translations of which the KJV was a revision? Even though English-speaking believers already had a good English translation that they loved and read [the Geneva Bible], God provided [or permitted] another English translation in 1611. God did not stop permitting the making and revising of English translations in 1535 nor in 1611. God did not stop nor prevent the meaning of many words in the English language from changing so that no updatings would be needed.

You have not demonstrated that your KJV-only reasoning or assumptions are taught in the Scriptures.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Do you have Bible support for these two versions, or is this your human opinion?

Why is it that godly people who have Bible evidence for everything else they believe have no Bible evidence for supporting a particular translation? Why is opinion good enough on this doctrine and this doctrine only?

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Why waste our time dealing with the un-biblical logic of Biblical onlyism? There are no verses to back up thier position that there is only "one" English version. Yet, they continue to elevate their opinion and preference to scripture itself. They can't even agree on the KJV itself as even it exists in different versions. Surely before they can expect anyone to take their position seriously they need to agree on just "one" version of even the KJV. But, mostly they ignore this problem with their position. Instead when they can't back up their position, as evidenced in their thread, he turns to sailing insults our way in his schooner.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

James 1:21-24, "Therefore, putting aside all filthiness and all that remains of wickedness, in humility receive the word implanted, which is able to save your souls. But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror; for once he has looked at himself and gone away, he has immediately forgotten what kind of person he was."

Outside of that if it were the case then Wycliffe Bible translators would not have a ministry.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So are you saying that Wycliffe Bible translators is wrong?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Love that! "the word implanted" GOD puts His Word in our hearts. Amen!

13. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you speak any other language than English I might suggest that God has certainly not settled on the KJV. :)

As for English, no definitely not.

14. Askjo

Askjo New Member

One thing that you forget is the final authority. Were they?

#34 Askjo, Feb 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  15. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Are you against Luther's Bible?

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How you come up with your conclusions is puzzling Askjo.Logos mentioned facts.Luther's Bible went through some updates in his own lifetime as well as many more after his death.None of "Luther's Bibles" are identical.And none of them are the same as the KJVs even when translated.Why would you ask such a ______ question?It doesn't make any sense.Of course he isn't against "Luther's Bible".

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some would say that English is the standard. However for those who believe that must believe also that God had been dead until English arrived on the scene. I feel sorry for those folks who believe such a lie and would be so gullible.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The modern Greek Bible is different from the Greek at the time the NT was written.

19. Keith M

Keith M New Member

That's priceless, Askjo! :laugh:

Those who declare only one particular Bible translation to be the sole word of God in English certainly become their own final authority. There is NO biblical authority for the KJVO position. God is not the author of confusion, which is the basis for the KJVO position.

Not only is the KJVO position based on confusion, it is also extremely divisive. Therefore God is not the source of the KJVO position. The KJVO position is entirely man-made and non-scriptural.

20. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Amen, gb93433! Preach it!