1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is God's Sovereign really absolute control of everything?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by ILUVLIGHT, Jan 10, 2005.

1. onecoolcanuk

onecoolcanuk Guest

Isn't it Calvinists who make rabbit trails? I go to a Calvinist church and have asked many, many tough questions...and most of the are "skillfully" dodged. Believe me, I'm not fooled. I take note of it.

2. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

rc, Aren't you the one who stated the bible is infallable ABSOLUTE TRUTH?

I said
    rc replied
    Implying therefore that the scripture it ABSOLUTE TRUTH.

While I agree that the scriptures Contain ABSOLUTE TRUTHs, I must disagree that the Scriputers are ABSOLUTE! If they were, there would be ONLY ONE VERSION, There could never be any corrections that increase understanding, and we would all be conversant in Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew!

If the Scriptures are ABSOLUTE, Who needs CALVIN? Pelagius, Wesley, Aristotle, etc. Who needs five points? NO ONE, The scriptures are ABSOLUTE!

Get real rc!

3. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi RC;
    This I found amazing How did you get the things of the spirit mixed up with the Word of God.
    Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Oh I know Paul just contradicted Himself. Or the Gospel is the good news of our Salvation. Or the gospel is about Jesus Christ and how His Blood can save even me. Of course the Holy Spirit is mentioned if this is the spirit you're talking about. But it is the personage of Christ that saves. Nothing else Just Christ. We aren't saved by election or predestination, or a particular atonement, There is no other way for Salvation but through Christ.
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]

4. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Hooserdaddy;
    I see you're a man of experince. [​IMG]
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us all;
    Mike [​IMG]

5. rc

rc New Member

I luv light... Paul didn't contradict himself... all this shows is man KNOWS that God exists... It has NOTHING to do with them being able to seek after Him... actually it is a proof text of Paulinians that God reveals Himself and what does man do? HE WORSHIPS the creation! (uh em.. man) and supresses the truth! Why? Because he HATES God. He would rather serve the creation than God... You know... wanting man to be the powerful one instead of God? ... Like hmmm Arminianism?

6. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

If you are saying that Wes wants to be powerful in place of God, you have not been reading Wes's writing, you are instead reading what you want Wes's writings to say! Wes Knows without doubt that he is human, and incapable of being God! However, Wes is also not willing to accept his role and relationship with God as anything other than God created man to have! Wes recognizes that He has sinned and therefore fallen short of being exactly what God wanted. He recognizes that His sin has been atoned and the barrier to everlasting life removed thereby, and he recognizes that through faith He has that everlasting life just as Promised by God the Son. He also recognizes that when he confesses his sins that he still has the propensity to commit, that God is faithful and just to forgive him his sins and to cleanse him from ALL unrighteousness. That which is Cleansed from ALL unrighteousness, is made pure, just as Adam was made pure in the Garden before sinning. Therefore God has restored Wes, and Now Wes is Friends with God! Perfect? NO! Friends? YES! Capable and willingly serving my Lord and Savior Jesus, The Christ.

Like I illustrated on another topic. You are stranded on the highway, your car broke down. You know that there is such a thing as a towtruck, but you may not have seen one. All you know is that you are in trouble. So You call for help, and low and behold a towtruck shows up to get you off the highway to where you can get fixed.

You inherently Know that God exists, but until you get yourself into trouble, you don't think about God at all. But once in trouble, you cry out to the God that you know exists. That's why there are no athiests in foxholes! You cry out to God because you inherently KNOW that God exists, He's written that on your heart. Said another way you spirit has that tidbit of data stored there from conception.

Yes, Men do seek God! but it is usually associated with man's situation, and not with relationship building as in being friends with God. Few men really seek friendship with God. Adam, Eve, Seth, Abraham, Job, Noah, Jacob, Isaac, Moses, David, etc are typical examples of men who actually were "Friends with God". No, I am not saying they were Perfect, holy, men, only that they were friends with God. And we have no writings that tell us how they initially became friends with God. But, I can assure you that none of them except perhaps David, started out being friends with God. They all had to "hear" unto faith in God.

7. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi RC;
    Here you go proof that man has seeked the Lord God;
    zerubbabel did in;

Ezr 4:2 Then they came to Zerubbabel, and to the chief of the fathers, and said unto them, Let us build with you: for we seek your God, as ye do; and we do sacrifice unto him since the days of Esar-haddon king of Assur, which brought us up hither.

Josiah did in;
    2Ch 34:3 For in the eighth year of his reign, while he was yet young, he began to seek after the God of David his father: and in the twelfth year he began to purge Judah and Jerusalem from the high places, and the groves, and the carved images, and the molten images.

All of Judah did in;
    2Ch 20:4 And Judah gathered themselves together, to ask help of the LORD: even out of all the cities of Judah they came to seek the LORD.
    How about that bet you can't wiggle out that hehehe
    Mike [​IMG]

8. rc

rc New Member

Why are you still trying to prove that God is a liar? Are you really that proud that you are going against the Word of God? Can't you see you are not argueing against me but GOD? I'm not the one saying this but God is! NO ONE SEEKS AFTER GOD...

Again you are arguing from naratives or imperatives that just give facts, but are not proof texts that form a formal arguement, you are giving evidence that can only be used in the subtancial part of the arguement... Don't you see your error?

The FORMAL arguement is WHAT GOD SAID. It is a premise... In man's NATURAL state man does not seek after God. I told you to find a verse that is an IMPERATIVE that says word for word MAN HAS THE ABILITY TO FIND GOD IN HIS NATURAL STATE...

These narative's I aren't proofs since they are they are AFTER the fact of the formal part of the arguement !! They where seeking after God because God already changed their hearts ! (Formal agruement) or else they wouldn't be able to do such i.e. No man seeks after God (formal agruement) Proper theology allows this.. your's on the other hand doesn't.

It's theology 101 that the Formal has to shape the the substancial. The universal has to shape the particulars... else you contradict yourself.

9. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi RC;
    Not true the one who Paul is quoting is a fool and Chapter 3 of Romans is not about total depravity it's about what a sinner says in his heart.Psalms 14 and and psalms 53 are what Paul is quoting. A fool is a sinner in OT times. So you are the one making God out to be a liar.
    Mike [​IMG]

10. rc

rc New Member

NO WHERE in chapter 3 of Romans does it say Paul is talking about a fool.. he's talking about ALL OF MANKIND ! If you want to qualify that as everybody being fools fine that can be the cherry on the top but it DOES NOT change the weight of Pauls POINT.. MAN DOES NOT SEEK GOD.
    Why else do you think he makes that point? So we can understand that man wants to think he is essentially good (humanism, which Paul is attacking) and Paul is saying NO... you are BAD all bad, NO ONE SEEKS AFTER GOD. Quit trying to change Gods word... and talking about stepping back to see the "bigger picture". That's the whole point ! You want to stick to myopic verses that contradict the UNIVERSALS! Theology 101 for exegesis! The UNIVERSALS (big picture) are the proof texts, imperatives that are facts... THOSE set up the boundries to what is understood as doctrine. They CONFINE and DEFINE the particulars.. YOU are the one taking narratives and non proof texts and are trying to define the UNIVERSALS! HA HA HA

11. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi RC;
    Yes man does seek God and try as you may you still haven't proven your doctrine of Total depravity. Paul is talking about what a sinner says in his heart fools are sinners they are the nonsaved.
    I just showed you the clear scripture that you said didn't exist and now you deny what it says. This so typical of those who refuse to think for them selves. Life is what you make it my friend and you have no stability in your's. It's called fatalism you shoot your self in the foot everytime you come out to play.
    You carry on like you have the only truth there is when in fact you have no truth at all. None are so blind as those who just won't see.
    Mike [​IMG]

12. billwald

billwald New Member

WHY does it matter???????

13. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Have you considered the possibility that the statement attributed to God is not an imperitive at all, but rather an observation made by God as he observes man running around in his own contrived circles. God is saying, "Look at that human race, none of them seeks after God"! That's not the same as you saying that God declares that NO MAN CAN SEEK AFTER GOD!
    What you are doing is not theology 101, it is myopic fixation!
    Since this is the verse you seem hung up on, where does man get "understandeth? For if man understandeth, man then seeketh after God! So rc, tell us where does man get the "understandeth"?

14. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi RC;
    The point is that men do seek God every time they pray. Maybe you haven't ever heard this saying. "There are no Atheist in a fox whole" Men on a battle field, in fear of there lives seek God all the time. If you have ever been on a battle field you know exactly what I mean.
    Mike [​IMG]

15. rc

rc New Member

Have you considered the possibility that the statement attributed to God is not an imperitive at all..

Wes... do you think I read that and impose my understanding on the text like you do? ...

I'm not THINKING it's imperative the GREEK (if you know it) IS in the IMPERATIVE! THAT'S what drives our exegesis! You CAN'T make what's in the imperative, inductive that's my whole point! You obviously do not know Greek... there's nothing wrong with that but you can not make statements on the grammer unless you want to look foolish.

The "understanding" comes from a heart that is CHANGED by God. He has mercy and opens up your eyes to you can have understanding and have the affections to believe. SALVATION is of THE LORD!

I luv Light... God hears NOT the prayers of the wicked. When those who without a heart after God pray not for salvation but for fleshly reasons i.e. life.... Why? to serve him? ... No to keep on their sinful, God hating ways... As I said horrible, man made analogies do nothing but muddy the waters. Stick with scripture which you can't provide... Just humbel yourselves and see "NO MAN SEEKS AFTER GOD".. NO NOT ONE! Quit making God out to be a liar!

16. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi RC;
    Where does the Bible say that The book of RC [​IMG] ;) Now you're making up your own passages that's a good one. I almost fell out of my chair laughing.
    So you admit your wrong, men do seek God. Seeking God is seeking God whether it's for Salvation or not. So either Paul was wrong in what he said, or your interpretation of what he said is wrong. I don't believe Paul was wrong
    Mike [​IMG]

17. rc

rc New Member

Paul was correct and so was I ... The natural man DOES NOT SEEK AFTER GOD. YOur wrong!

John 9:31 We know that God does not listen to sinners, but if anyone is a worshiper of God and does his will, God listens to him.

Even a child can understand that statement...
    man does not seek after God... simple, plain proof text.. not some man made analogy.

18. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Well, it appears that john 9:31 dispells any possibility that God regenerates man before man becomes a believer. If God does not listen to sinners there is absolutely no way that God can hear confession of sin!

Then the second part of the verse says that man can be a worshiper of God, and God listens. Amazing? How does one get to be a worshiper if man is totally depraved and cannot seek God?

Even a child understands that!

19. rc

rc New Member

God can listen to men... it's called regeneration. .... problem solved. YOUR the one with the problem.. God doesn't listen to the wicked and NO MAN SEEKS AFTER GOD...

Look at the previous posts... you can't find one imperative verse... then you say, "well it doesn't matter" and think that good enough and try to get me on another childish rabbit trail... I'm nailing you on this till you answer with an intelligent answer... NO MAN SEEKS AFTER GOD ! NO NOT ONE !

Where's the imperative reply that man can? And if you give me one more inductive, narrative I'm going to puke.

20. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

I will not answer your challenge because you refuse to listen!