1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is going dairy-free healthy?

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Gina B, Jan 8, 2011.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think that depends on what the cow eats and breathes.

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Eggs I can't say. We are told in Genesis that the earth provides us with food. Part of the curse was man having to work the earth for it to bring forth food, and bread is mentioned. It seems there is no question of using what grows from the earth, and after the fall it appeared that included animals.

Then later we have proof of animals being part of what we cannot consider unclean.

History shows all that, but history doesn't show cultures having dairy as a staple product, although there are plenty of ways for it to be so.

It just seems weird that it's so prevalent. It also seems weird to read that raw milk is so much easier to digest and much more healthy, but that it is very difficult or illegal to sell these products.

So yeah, this concerns me. It's the only food product my doctor ever mentioned avoiding after surgery or a pediatrician ever said to take kids off of when they were sick...dairy. Said it was too hard on the body when it is trying to heal because it's the hardest thing to digest.

If it's so healthy, why is it the toughest thing to digest? Maybe in raw form it isn't. I don't know. I suspect though, and am still looking into this.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, our country really has become a giant milk bucket and I believe all foods can be over used and need to be consumed in some sort of moderation and variety to be healthy. BUT, when it comes to milk I could think of a lot worse foods that this country has made one of its main staples (Pop, French fries, corn syrup in everything… talk about “digestion! >>> PRESERVATIVES in everything from frozen junk food to making it difficult to even find a simple loaf of bread without it, ohh, grr, I better move on now…) that don’t carry near as much usable nutrition as milk.

Some people do seem to have a problem digesting milk (they even have that fancy name for this, Lactose intolerance ;)) and I suspect that might make them and others lean more into believing the “evidences” that “all” people have issues with it. And yes, pediatricians are quick to blame milk on those burping babies with the tummy aches, and we all know what they’ll suggest…soy milk!!!...puhlease!…empty, waxy, naturally tasteless, female hormone carrying SOY MILK!

I have a tendency to look at the bigger picture about things like this, which tells me that similarly other “evidences” could be gathered about any food, which is why I brought up oatmeal because of how adamantly some insist that we humans don’t digest it well, yet I am inclined to believe this country would be much much better off if it would replace just one of its less healthy staples, I’m thinking those nasty undigestable French fries here, with oats.

I can tell you that I don’t seem to have any problem whatsoever digesting milk, yeah it’s thicker than water and one should probably look at it a semi-solid food and make diet adjustments accordingly. I think one problem is that people like to drink it as water, or should I say soda pop.

Without making major and difficult adjustments in my diet I truly believe I would be unhealthy without milk as a staple. I would have to give up my "GOT MILK?" t-shirt and bumper sticker and I can’t even imagine what the replacement would be for the children in this country if we didn’t encourage milk consumption; I’d bet money it would involve worthless corn syrup though and this alternative would be tragic.

It might be good for you or your children to use a “good” alternative, I just don’t think as a general rule milk should be given up.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thanks Ben, for a well-reasoned post.
    With my older three, they still drink milk, but in moderation. The oldest generally chooses not to drink non-organic milk.
    The two younger are the ones I'm most concerned with as they drink it as often as possible and once I sat down and kinda analyzed what they want to eat or are offered at school, so much of it contains dairy.
    The kick-off to all of this...my stepson was drinking tons and tons of milk. He had some behavior issues and physical stuff and I decided to take him off the tons of dairy and see if it helped.
    It did, to a point. There were other major contributing factors to some of the changes, but I still think that dairy contributed and when I looked at what he and his sister WANTED to eat on a regular basis, a lot of dairy was involved.

Now I'm wondering if maybe all of us should limit it more because the closer I look at our diets, the more I find that dairy is involved. The more I read about processed dairy products, the worse it seems.

I need to figure out what a good balance is, whether it's a limited daily portion or made into something we only use on occasions and how to replace it in stuff I cook with. I love using real butter in desserts I make, use buttermilk in biscuits or pancakes, use milk in sauces or when making hot cereals and in some soups.

On top of that there's ricotta cheese in some of the Italian dishes I make, ricotta and cottage cheeses in a type of cold mix I use as the sauce on cold veggie pizza, then there's yogurt and when I'm sick I love frozen yogurt or soft serve ice cream. Creamer in coffee. Etc..