1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is going to the Movie House a sin???

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Bro Ben, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Joy

Joy New Member

Would you go into a bar to order a coke?

I think we would all agree that allowing wickedness to filter into our minds is wrong. (We can't help seeing stuff in the store, but we don't have to take that second look! ;) ) It is wrong no matter where you allow it to filter in- the movie house, the video store, the library, or the television.

The act of watching a film in and of itself is not wrong. Like anything else, God expects us to use our heads and exercise spritual discernment before we do anything.

Perhaps your liberty allows you to walk into a movie house or and video rental, (or channel hop with the remote) and with blinders on to all the filth, see just the decent movie you inteded to. Let's say Jo Blo sees you and says, "It must be ok, because so and so did it," but when Jo Blo goes in, he allows his eyes to wander and let filth in. That is what Romans calls putting a stumbling block in your brother's way.

2. wishtolearn

wishtolearn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joy:
    Would you go into a bar to order a coke?

I think we would all agree that allowing wickedness to filter into our minds is wrong. (We can't help seeing stuff in the store, but we don't have to take that second look! ;) ) It is wrong no matter where you allow it to filter in- the movie house, the video store, the library, or the television.

The act of watching a film in and of itself is not wrong. Like anything else, God expects us to use our heads and exercise spritual discernment before we do anything.

Perhaps your liberty allows you to walk into a movie house or and video rental, (or channel hop with the remote) and with blinders on to all the filth, see just the decent movie you inteded to. Let's say Jo Blo sees you and says, "It must be ok, because so and so did it," but when Jo Blo goes in, he allows his eyes to wander and let filth in. That is what Romans calls putting a stumbling block in your brother's way.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that was all I felt like drinking that night, sure. I go into a bar to gather with friends from work, listen to music, enjoy conversation, play darts, you get the picture. Do I consider my self "un-Christian" because of it. Of course not.

As far as channel-hopping goes, I've got Direct Tv so there's a ton of stuff out there for me to watch. I like what I like and I do not care for violence, ******-humor, racist remarks, Jerry Springer type c#$p. That's just because I feel I'm a bit above all of that to be entertained by it. But I like to watch a good story, like to know what is going on in the world on say, MSNBC, whatever. We don't miss Packer games in this household either. Whether or not JoBlo is being effected by what he sees on tv, I cannot control what goes on in someone else's own private home. I can only hope that he/she is bright enough to look at it for what it is and that's that.

3. wishtolearn

wishtolearn New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ps104_33:
    I know Christians that would't go to a movie theatre to see The Ten Commandments with Charleton Heston but watch Seinfeld religiously.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe because we can see it on tv every year at Easter for the past 30 years that we don't have to go see it in the theatre, we can now memorize it:). I don't care for Seinfeld, just never got into it, but I know some people that have to be home in time for Law & Order, West Wing, etc. 10 Commandments is a good movie, don't get me wrong. When it's on, it's on in my house, regardless of what I'm doing. I just like it.

4. Jeep Brain

Jeep Brain New Member

"It is sad to see so called Christians defending their love of the world and the lusts thereof."

I concider myself a cristian. I do go to movies on occasion, I go out with freinds, and I go 4X4ing because it makes me happy. I don't lust after things of the world. I work as a 4x4 fabricator... does that make me a bad person for working on trucks. I love it, in fact it is the best job I have had! God has blessed the world with so many things and it does say that God has blessed all people the oppertunity to explore the good things of the earth? I will not go into a strip club or go to drug partys because those are evil and wrong. You can tell if God is upset at what you are doing and if really upsets him he will let you know.
    The point I am trying to make is that I don't lust over things I enjoy, God comes first... ALWAYS!

5. try hard

try hard New Member

What would Jesus do?

I myself will not be entertained by a movie with any curse words or immoral things. I just don't take pleasure in those types of movies. Going to the theater is not a sin. But taking pleasure or laughing at sin is! God hates sin, right? So why should anyone take pleasure in movies promoting it, regardless of how popular the movie is. Don't give in to this world.

6. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by superdave: No, Nothing wrong with the Movie House.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on SuperDave! 'cause they can go broke and the buildings be converted to Churches! [​IMG]

7. superdave

superdave New Member

Actually,
    I remember seeing an ad for a church that met in an active theatre once.
    It looked a little bit fluffy to me though. Lots of drama, little spiritual substance, kinda like most of the Movies!! :D They fit right in. :D

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

When I was in the Ukraine, there was a church body that met at a theatre until their church was complete--I think they are still building.

The only sin I knew was the stinking bathroom... I am telling you, it would have been a sin to use that squattie....

9. redwhitenblue

redwhitenblue New Member

It's equally sad to me to see Christians calling other Christians "so called" because they don't live up to their personal convictions. I have no problems with going to the movies and not one of us should be pointing a finger at anyone who does go.

karen