1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is going to the movies OK?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Bible Believing Bill, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Karen

Karen Active Member

You can't just leave it like that! What are the names so I can rent them??

Karen

2. Grace

Grace New Member

UGH! We are going through this at my church. Two Staff members are trying to tell us how awful it is to even go to the movies (and yet one took his 5 year old to see Star Wars episode 2). My viewpoint on it is this...If you feel convicted about going to the movies, then don't go. But don't expect me not to go just because you have that convition. I'm not accountable to anyone except God about what movies I choose to watch. I don't go that often, but that's mainly because it's expensive. Sorry, this is my personal soap box, and I had to vent.

3. Dr. Brigit

Dr. Brigit New Member

Wow, this discussion has certainly been an eye-opener. I had no idea there were people who thought going to the theater could be a bad thing.

I think our church would look at us a bit strangely if Joshua or any of the other staff didn't go to the movies. In the Summertime, it's a popular church outing to go watch movies on the lawn of Piedmont Park.

Brigit

4. Multimom

Multimom New Member

Nothing against your pastor, but I'm going for the gold here.

I think it's pretty arrogant and self-absorbed to say that someone else might wonder what I'm going to see. Most people are too concerned about what they are doing to even notice let alone wonder what he's going to see.

I know when I go to the movies, if I see someone I know the only time I wonder what they are going to see is if I stop to speak to them, and then it's really only polite conversation. If I see them and don't get the opportunity to speak I go on about my business and I don't give what they might be going to see a second thought.

I do however appreciate the fact that he has problems with alot of what is portrayed in the movies and doesn't wish to subject himself to that. That position is a bit more credible.

I doubt that those whom he might be trying to lead to Jesus will care either. The only people who might care are those who want for some reason to distroy his reputation. I haven't met very many people who are really out to distroy a minister's reputation unless they have other credible dirt on that person.

But the Bible says, Blessed is the man who is not condemned in what he believes. So in that sense your Pastor is blessed.

Personally as long as you aren't seeing something inappropriate (ie. X rated or R rated or in some cases PG-13 rated) I don't have a problem with it.

[ August 30, 2002, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Multimom ]

5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the Pastor has a very valid reason for not going to the theatre. See I Corinthians 8.

I do not go for several reasons:

1. Why go somewhere that will put you in the place of temptation. It would be foolish to pray, "Lead me not into temptation" and then go there willingly.

2. It is much easier to turn off a VCR than it is to walk out of a theatre.

3. If I allow myself to go to "G" rated movies, the possibility of going back for "PG" is more tempting. Etc....

4. There is no movie I have to see bad enough to trade my testimony for.

5. 1Co 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

Paul says that the activity you are considering may not be wrong, but the conscience of a weaker brother or sister should be the guide in our decision.

6. 1Co 8:12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
    13 Wherefore, if meat (movies) make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh (attend no movies) while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

emphasis mine

[ August 30, 2002, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Pastor Bob 63 ]