1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is gossip a problem on BB?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salamander, May 8, 2008.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I agree. I am not sure of the exact intent of this thread.
    I have not noticed gossip on this board.
    It is public and often public matters are discussed publicly.
    For instance, there is no gossip is discussing a public matter about Rick Warren on here.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

salamander=
    Gossip problem on the BB, like what, discussion a public person, which includes people who put themselves out there on the net, like posting blogs or sermons.
    So here's a sample, is this the type of gossip you want to squash?

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1228259&postcount=75

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1226514&postcount=65

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1225888&postcount=62

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1214058&postcount=36

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=1205327#post1205327

http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1190603&postcount=4

Maybe you should start with yourself if you want to squash gossip.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

With all due respect to everyone, here, I checked out each of the six above links, and carefully read each post shown.

One can agree or disagree with what I consider is the characteristic good sense and Christian demeanor I often see posted by several on the BB, from the one to whom DonnA is referring, but that does not make any of them qualify as gossip.

Only some posts in this one here-

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthre...27#post1205327

can possibly be said to contain any sort of gossip, IMO.

Poor judgment or even jumping to a conclusion, whether or not I support that same conclusion, does not necessarily equal gossip.

Ed

#23 EdSutton, May 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  4. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is Rod Bell and what has he done?

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thats my point Ed.
    Just because someone is being discussed does not make it gossip, such as a person is in the public eye. Otherwise the news and politics forums need to be closed as gossip frums.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Exactly!
    Publicly discussing public matters is not gossip.
    Even if you publicly made false accusations against a public figure it would be false witness and not gossip.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This is some lousy gossip chain! I don't even know who Rod Bell is!

Nobody tells me anything. :tear:

:laugh:

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never heard of "Rod" Bell but I have heard of Rob Bell. and he is part of the extreme left wing of the Emergent Church.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It seems like all this talk about gossping on the BB is leading to........gossiping.

Is there a purpose to this thread?

Come on, you can tell me...I won't tell anyone else. :BangHead:

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Rod Bell is a former pastor and leader of fundamentalism. He sinned (not sexually), repented, resigned his pastorate, and has since been restored to fellowship.

I don't know why a man who did the right thing after his sin would be the topic of gossip.

What happened on the BB was not gossip - someone sought a clarification, it was given, and the topic was ended.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've never heard of him either.
    Amy, I could tell you, but that would be gossip. LOL

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I never heard of any individual by either the name of "Rod Bell" or "Rob Bell" before reading this thread.

There is a fairly frequent BB poster that goes by rbell, who incidentally has one of the great photos on the BB, where "S O T P" is painted on the roadway, but I would have no idea beyond that, as to whom this might possibly be referring.

Ed

13. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Speaking of that "stop" thing Ed, there is a great video to help us with this gossip, or any sin problem.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYLMTvxOaeE

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Let me in on something, what investigation? And why is it trying to help squash gossip offends you so easily?

15. Salamander

Salamander New Member

After scanning the responses I came to the unavoidable conclusion that those who gossip see talking about others isn't gossip.

The thread which involved Rod Bell did spread gossip. Gossip never helps an individual "come clean". There are those who have condemned Rod Bell forever and cannot allow him the same amount of grace they received from the Lord.

Gossip is expressed by an unruly tongue.:wavey:

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

As I have shown, with your own posts, your own words, that if we use your defination of gossip, you have participated in gossip on this board.

17. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Not exactly. Those words are to expose error of false doctrine.

By your estimation of my definition and thereby saying I too, gossiped, you inadvertantly call the Lord a gossiper.
    Asking questions doesn't call for making a claim it is gossip either.

Those insinuations used against a man of God who fell into sin and then condemning him is gossip.

I ran a search on some preachers I know.

What do you know about Dr. Phil Kidd that was truthful and wasn't gossip on BB? It seems some here spent alot of time accusing him of alot of things that I personally know aren't true.

I searched for his name first due to the nature of knowing how many "love to hate him".

18. donnA

donnA Active Member

If discussing public peoples is gossip, you sir are guilty. Now it does not work both ways. If it's true for everyone else, it's true for you. You seem to think who the person being gossiped about makes the difference. No it doesn't. And gossip isn't always the spreading of lies. If gossip to be judged as gossip based on if it's true or not, then the gossip most people do isn't really gossip at all. If you haven't noticed, you aren't God, and you aren't writing scripture. So the comparison means nothing.
    I have no idea who Phil Kidd is and have no reason too.

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Yes-----the Hee-Haw Honeys are a attractive but distractive group of "Phillies" ---its easy to see where ccrobinson is comin' from!!!!

Wait a sec!!!!!

Ain't what Blackbird just said---ain't that gossip????

The part where the Hee Haw Honeys are attractive----now, THAT ain't gossip---its the truth---so we can say that its not gossip if its the truth

I mean---which scene would you rather watch

"Gloom, dispair, and agony on me"?????????

or

"You better listen close the first time"?????????

:laugh: :laugh:

20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Gossip:1 adialect British : godparent b: companion, crony c: a person who habitually reveals personal or sensational facts about others2 a: rumor or report of an intimate nature b: a chatty talk c: the subject matter of gossip

:laugh: When have I ever come across as "God"???

According to definition, gossip is a habit that is expressed often. Gossip with the intention to defame is SIN. To abstain from every appearance of evil I make sure to ask questions most of the time as to avoid making untrue statements. Making a statement that associates a condition related directly to action is not intentionally defaming the person but to make even the simple aware. If that is acting like God then God taught us by principle and I am just one of his spokesmen.

Ever hear of double-talk?
    Ok, so by that statement you would be uninterested in a great man of God and his dynamic preaching. Figures.