1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Halloween really evil?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Oct 28, 2016.

1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I outgrew most of the traditional Halloween fun a few years ago. Not that my family ever celebrated anyway or considered that proper. I suppose I've recently strayed from that teaching. As I have a few other non-salvational teachings. I do like the candy. It's a nice excuse to wear my anime cosplay, if I attend something like a fall festival. Or my furry accessories. I enjoy carving pumpkins from an artistic perspective, since I am a visual artist.
    I believe it about as much or as little spiritual impact as what you make of it.

I am rather sad that my church had to cancel their fall festival this year because there wasn't enough volunteers. Maybe I'll go to a different one with a friend since I won't be helping out at my church this time.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are related, El Sol is their father.
    :Biggrin
    HankD

3. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Most of what we "know" about Halloween is Christian propaganda left over from the great Baptist witch hunt of the 1980s.

Several people have been responsible for much of this propagation (one of the big ones is Jack Chick, as discussed in another thread). There were a lot of "former warlocks" who came forward spreading information about Halloween and relates topics, almost all of which have been thoroughly debunked and/or shown to be lying about their expertise.

It seemed to have been popular on the late 80s to claim a previous attachment to the occult, and because of the prestige this brought, many falsely claimed to have been high priests, priestesses, and satanists before their conversion, but who couldn't answer simple questions about what they were supposedly leaders of.

If someone has a problem with Halloween that would cause them to stumble, by all means do not participate. But just because you would stumble does not mean that everyone has to be held to your standard.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    The other reason, I suppose, being the idea that anything pagan in origin or at one point widely practiced by pagans cannot be salvaged at all, even years later when it is no longer associated with or practiced by pagans.

I do know people, online at least, who have a testimony about previous occult involvement. Did astral projection and stuff like that. (I've heard about that kinda stuff from more than one person.) I'm not sure of this person's position on Halloween. I do know they are a Christian goth and like creepy things.

5. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

We did it with Christmas. I literally find it humorous when someone wants nothing to do with Halloween, but will celebrate Christmas.

Christian Goth is another thing that is humorous to me. While occult in origin, astral projection is more new age than pagan, which is what Halloween was/is. Not saying that it's not practiced in pagan/satanic religions, but normally under other names. If they called it "astral projection" or "transcendental meditation", it's more likely that they're into new age "energy working" (reiki, etc) rather than paganism or satanism.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, this is quite true. Since i know something of the occult from ministry to people who were actually in it, I had a number of people represent themselves to me as having been a part.

One of the traits of someone who is now a Christian who actually has that type of background is that they are deeply ashamed of it and they would rather that no one know. I have never met anyone who volunteered that they were formally in the occult that could tell me a thing about it or had a credible conversion story - you don't just walk away from full-blown immersion in that stuff without consequences and retribution.

7. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was thinking about dressing up but then again it is Satan's Holiday

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eph. 5:8-11. 'For you were once darkness, but now youn are light in the Lord. Walk a children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness and truth), finding out what is acceptable to the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them.'

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a lot of Christians that do not celebrate that holiday. As really I only go for the candy tisk tisk! But still when you are older and more mature as a 42-year old woman, here as really it is about Satanic stuff and demons.That is why at 12, I stopped trick or treating. And only will go for the candy!

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious: What does it mean to celebrate Halloween? I took the granddaughter to a trick or treat downtown. She got to dress up as Supergirl and got candy. Exactly what is that celebrating?

(BTW: Woody's assertion that the occult or pagan origin of Halloween appears to have been greatly overblown is on the mark; if you'll dig down through all the "histories" that link Halloween to Samhain you'll find that virtually all regurgitate a single sociologist's assertions which are, to be blunt, based on speculation.)

#30 rsr, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think when most people say celebrate, they mean observe, take part in the traditions.
    Typically all I do on Halloween (unless invited to more things) is attend church fall festivals or volunteer at the one my church usually holds. For many fall festivals are the "Christian alternative" to celebrating Halloween, for others that is still too close to "actually" celebrating. In any case, it is a great outreach opportunity.

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the rub. I can celebrate Christmas and Easter because I I can celebrate the Incarnation and Resurrection.And I can throw out the supposedly pagan and secular accretions (and here consumerism is just as much menace, if not more so, than paganism).

I can't celebrate Halloween because I'm not Catholic or pagan. I can, however, participate in a celebration of community that Halloween also represents without believing in ghosts or goblins or perverse lifestyles.

"Fall festivals" are a sham because they do exactly what the purists accuse the Catholics of doing: Co-opting supposedly pagan festivals for their own use.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the fact that we can dress up as ghosts and ghouls with no fear is the telling thing. Judging by the accounts of which I've heard and read, being terrorized by demons would be a truly horrifying and hellish experience. Can you imagine the fear and bondage of the compulsion to carve a jack o lantern thinking it can ward them off?

Christ's victory is what makes the American version of Halloween possible, triumphing over principalities and powers and making a show of them.

Sadly, but not surprisingly, much of the boldness in our Halloween observances is due more to unbelief than faith, and that is a tenuous position.

14. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is indeed the telling thing. We have no fear of God so that we fool about with the occult, which is an abomination to Him (Deuteronomy 18:9-14). And we have no fear of Satan or of evil so that we think it's OK to muck about with these things.

I know that someone's going to tell me that they only dress up in silly clothes and have fun on Hallowe'en, but why do people try to see how far they can go towards sin before it actually becomes sin? Why not abstain from 'every appearance of evil' (1 Thessalonians 5:22)?

• Like Like x 1
  15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying saying Christians cannot dress up as ghosts and ghouls. I'm saying they can. Not because they don't fear God, but because they don't fear evil.

And also because Christ's work and the spread of the Gospel have, for the most part, disenchanted the world of Satan's power.

Demonic manifestations are indeed rare. Not commonplace as they were before the Gospel civilized the world.

17. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realised that. I think you may need to recalibrate your irony detection sensor.
    Revelation 12:12.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron, that's probably over the line scripturally speaking because it would be offensive to some.

If we refrain from drinking wine or eating meat for the sake of avoiding offense to the weaker brethren then surely dressing up as the minions of darkness would also no doubt offend them.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    How far do we take it? If people are offended by observing Christmas, would visibly celebrating that be wrong as well? Certainly we are to respect others' convictions, but most people, including people of the faith, will not care if you celebrate a common holiday. It's going to depend on who you're around.

20. evenifigoalone

Faith:
    Baptist
    For Halloween costumes, the Halloween idea of ghosts and other creepy things are far enough for realism (usually) that they bare little resemblance to the real thing. (Like my avatar. Though that is Napstablook from Undertale, rather than a Halloween thing.) I wouldn't say it actually has much to do with occult-ism, either.
    For myself, if I dress up, it's usually an anime character or a furry (anthropomorphic animal).