1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Hell the Same for All

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

I seem to recall something about satan surviving in the lake of fire for one thousand years after he is cast there by the Lord after the tribulation. I'm sorry if I'm showing my inexperience/lack of knowledge here, but does that mean that at that time that satan ceases to exist, that he actually dies? Could it also possibly mean that all those in the lake of fire with him will die their final spiritual death as well and simply cease to exist?

I would really appreciate specific references if you can answer this question.

Thanks so much!

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No one is annihilated in hell; they continue to exist.

Annihilation is a belief of the Seventh Day Adventists, JWs, and some others. It has been soundly refuted biblically. Some evangelicals have jumped on that bandwagon as well - Clark Pinnock and John Stott are two.

Here is an excerpt from a good defense of hell as conscious suffering by Alan Gomes:
    Read it all at
    http://www.bible-researcher.com/hell4.html

It's a good article. He refutes the claims of annihilationism and the verses used for that.

Also see Hell on Trial: The Case for Eternal Punishment by Robert A. Peterson.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

That, and I think this verse alone refutes the annilation view.

4. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

Thanks Marcia and Allan! :)

5. Hawkins

Hawkins New Member

Hell is a conceptual term, more or less like warehouse for goods, it is a place for the souls of the unsaved. It's not necessarily with a physical location associated with. Hell at the same time means separation from God.

Yet hell/sheol sometimes are also used to describe a physical locatoin - Hades. Hades however is two-folded. Christians will set their beds their however they are sleeping in Christ and with God. They are thus said to be in paradise. Hades is also called Hell because those wicked will remain awaken in the darkness till the final judgment to come. God refuses them to enter His rest.

Hebrews 3:18
    And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed ?

Hebrews 4:1
    Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.

Hebrews 4:3
    Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said, "So I declared on oath in my anger, 'They shall never enter my rest.'

Hebrews 4:5
    And again in the passage above he says, "They shall never enter my rest."

Hebrews 4:6
    It still remains that some will enter that rest, and those who formerly had the gospel preached to them did not go in, because of their disobedience.

Hebrews 4:11
    Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'm not sure I'm understanding you. Are you advocating for soul sleep (not actively and presently with the Lord at death) or are you just referencing the physical illistration of our bodies in death, sleep?

Not saying you do but I both hope and presume the later since the issue of soul sleep is not a concept derived from any contextual analysis of scriptures.

BTW - Welcome to the BB :wavey:

#26 Allan, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009