1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Hope of Eternal Life Bound to Faith?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Steaver: You gave me a challenge and I met the challenge with scripture putting down the notion that damnation always means to hell. Yet you refuse to acknowledge this and rather come back with a JW talking point.

HP: You did no such thing, neither did you post any other Scripture concerning damnation that I read. You changed the debate by posting a Scripture concerning condemnation. Oh well. It seems to me that this discussion has run its course with your JW comments. Such is the case when men run out of solid evidence to support their notions. The turn and attack the other individual. Sad to say, there is nothing new with that approach.

Your 'God bless' at the end of such attacks seems a bit hollow to me.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I know of no text telling us of the "hope" of damnation.

As Scripture says "We must ALL stand before the judgment seat of Christ to be recompensed for the actual deeds done in the body both good and evil". 2Cor 5:8-10.

Paul speaks of that "future" when "According to my GOSPEL God WILL judge the secrets of ALL men through the man Christ Jesus" Romans 2:13-16.

And we SEE stages in that future judgment in Daniel 7 and in Rev 20.

Just as scripture says in Romans 11 "HE is able to graft them in AGAIN if they do not CONTINUE in unbelief".

The Bible says clearly we are "saved in hope".

If the sections of scripture listed above have been removed from your Bible so that now you only find them in the Watch Tower -- then I suppose that in your case - your statement must be true.

in Christ,

Bob

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you honestly think that Paul is speaking of condemnation to hell about those widows that the church would consider to support in a financial way? That seems like a very strange outlook to me.
    Let's look at the entire context:

1 Timothy 5:3 Honour widows that are widows indeed.
    --This is where the topic of widows begins. As a general rule they are to be given honor or "respect." "A widow indeed," or a true widow is one who had no means of support but is wholly dependant upon the Lord for her every need. She doesn't even have a living relative to rely upon.

1 Timothy 5:4-5 But if any widow have children or nephews, let them learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.
    5 Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day.
    --Here is a second class of widows.
    They are widows that have relatives--children, nephews, perhaps grandchildren or others. The Bible teaches: "Honor thy father and thy mother." Children (even when they grow older), have a responsibilty to take care of their parents. It is a poor testimony to the Christian faith to speak of Christianity, and then to neglect one's faith by neglecting their own family.

1 Timothy 5:6-7 But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.
    7 And these things give in charge, that they may be blameless.
    --Here the widow that lives in pleasure is put in contrast to the Godly widow. Is she unsaved? Probably not, but no doubt badly backslidden. She is dead as far as her communion with God is concerned.
    Timothy is to warn such widows living in pleasure and is also to teach Christians to care for those who are related to them.

1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
    --This is a serious charge--failing to provide for your own. Most societies that I have seen (in eastern cultures) have extended families, not the nuclear system that we have. There may be several generations living under one roof. If the head of the household does not see that all in the family are provided for then he is worse than an infidel. The responsibility lies on him. Often that responsibility is not the oldest or grandparent, but the eldest son, the wage-earner. A Christian can bring reproach upon the name of the Lord in a way that an unbeliever cannot.

1 Timothy 5:9 Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man,
    --Paul now begins to set forth guidelines, as to who the church should support financially as a widow.
    1. She should be at least 60 years of age.
    2. The wife of one man--the same requirement of a deacon or bishop (pastor). Her married life would have to be without reproach.

1 Timothy 5:10 Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.
    3. A reputation characterized by good works.
    4. If she had children, they also must reflect her testimony of child-rearing.
    5. She must have shown hospitality to others, to strangers.
    6. Washing the feet of visitors was the duty of a slave, and would show the quality of humility.
    7. Be kind--showing relief to the afflicted and other acts of mercy.
    8. Diligent in every good work.

This is the type of widow that the church would give financial support to.

1 Timothy 5:11 But the younger widows refuse: for when they have begun to wax wanton against Christ, they will marry;
    --It would be a mistake to support the younger widows. There is a good chance that they would marry again. The desire to marry could become so strong that they could end up marrying an unbeliever. Paul speaks of this as "growing wanton against Christ." If this should happen, and the church would have already be supporting such an one, then it would bring reproach upon the name of Christ.

1 Timothy 5:12 Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith.
    --The word here has no reference to eternal perdition. It simply means judgment, the judgment for casting off her first faith. At one time she professed great loyalty to Christ. But now, after made a widow, and young enough to marry again, she marries someone who does not love Christ. She forgets her initial love for Christ and goes off with an unbeliever, unfaithful to her Saviour.
    Paul does not criticize widows for not marrying. He encourages them to do so (vs.14), only in the Lord. There are Biblical principles to follow in marriage.

1 Timothy 5:13 And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.
    --What happens when the church assumes financial responsibility of a younger widow?
    1. It encourages them to be idle. (They can work--Lydia was a seller of purple).
    2. They may become gossips and busybodies.

1 Timothy 5:14 I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.
    --Here is a general principle:
    Younger widows should marry, bear children, guide the house, and live above reproach. In that way they will not give any chance for the devil to make false accusations against them or to speak reproachfully.

1 Timothy 5:15 For some are already turned aside after Satan.
    --Paul speaks from experience. He has already seen this happen. Some have already turned aside for not following his advice.

1 Timothy 5:16 If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be charged; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.
    --Paul now again comes back to the responsibility of the family or relatives of the widows. The believing men and women of the church have the responsibility of caring for their own, not the church. The family is the primary care-giver not the church.
    Verses 3-16 gives instruction to the church what it must do for widows under certain circumstances. Primary responsibility always falls on the family.

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You must have overlooked it. Here it is again.....

You had said damnation is condemnation....

But for the record I used scripture which speaks of "Krima" (gk) 2917 in Strong's. Sometimes translated damnation and sometimes translated condemnation and a few others as well. Therefore the scriptures I used were very accurate to your request.

The gospel you outlined was not that of the Christian Holy Bible, it was pretty much what the JW's teach, that no one knows if they will be saved until judgment day. This is as Paul put it "another gospel" or "another Jesus".

Still waiting for an answer, Can you tell us what commitment the Christian widow would have made to Christ in order to be provided for by the church?

God Bless! :wavey:

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good outline DHK :thumbs:

But HP cannot accept the context of this or else he must humbly admit he is wrong on this particular passage and therefore must entertain the thought that just maybe he is wrong about other passages!

Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. (Jas 4:6)

Why don't you accept the truth about this passage HP and drop it from your list of examples of losing salavtion and just go on to fight the battle in a more favorable part of scripture for you?

However, i must warn you, I have studied every passage there is on this subject and OSAS remains standing each and every time. If you are really serious about knowing the truth and willing to keep everything in context, then you have a chance to understand the fullness of God's grace.

God Bless! :godisgood:

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have all my bible and just because some do not understand what they are reading does not mean I am missing verses.

Try another angle Bob!

God Bless! :thumbs:

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Sorry Steaver for overlooking this reference. Why don’t you go ahead and tell us how this has nothing to do with ones final standing before God coming from the presupposition of OSAS etc.

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

As Scripture says "We must ALL stand before the judgment seat of Christ to be recompensed for the actual deeds done in the body both good and evil". 2Cor 5:8-10.

Paul speaks of that "future" when "According to my GOSPEL God WILL judge the secrets of ALL men through the man Christ Jesus" Romans 2:13-16.

And we SEE stages in that future judgment in Daniel 7 and in Rev 20.

Just as scripture says in Romans 11 "HE is able to graft them in AGAIN if they do not CONTINUE in unbelief".

The Bible says clearly we are "saved in hope". (Col 1)

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

BR, I appreciate your response. :thumbs:

I know that Scripture does not use the words ‘hope of damnation or eternal punishment.’ I am using the word ‘hope’ in the sense of that is all the sinner can look forward to is damnation apart from repentance, turning from sin, and looking in faith to Christ as their only hope. In that sense damnation is the hope of the sinner, regardless of whether or not the word ‘hope’ is used in Scripture, agree?

10. Heavenly Pilgrim

First, no man in this world is condemned to hell unless the Holy Spirit is withdrawn from them. Second, Scripture states, “Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.” If indeed those widows left their faith in Christ as the scripture clearly indicates was at least a possibility, they would, in such a case, be rejecting their only hope of salvation. That would only seem strange to one that rejects the many warnings in Scripture of falling from ones first estate, rejecting ones faith in Christ, in favor of the notion of OSAS. It would not seem any more strange to me than to receive condemnation and the hope of eternal damnation over eating a piece of fruit, now would it?

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do you mean "final standing before God" as to hell verses saved?

If so, here it is..... 1Cr 11:30 For this cause many [are] weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

Still waiting for an answer, Can you tell us what commitment the Christian widow would have made to Christ in order to be provided for by the church?

God Bless! :wavey:

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let's see,

So Paul is saying do not take care of the young Christian widow because if you do she could stop having faith in Christ to save her.

And this makes perfect sense to you?

This is what you must conclude from the passage if you are to stick to your position on damnation to hell.

God Bless! :praying:

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Paul did not elaborate so why should I be able to understand all the why’s and therefore’s? What I do know is that they were not to provide for the younger widows, and that the clear possibility existed that they could 'wax wanton against Christ' and in doing so, 'cast off their first faith.' The clear insinuation was that they could leave their first love and reject the faith in Christ that they once had. You will have to ask Paul for any other details. I will simply accept the fact of it being possible to ‘wax wanton against Christ’ and in doing so ‘cast off ones first faith’ as Scripture clearly sets forth in this passage.

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And you write this about OSAS believers.......

You show no desire to honor God's word in proper context by plucking a verse out and making it into your own interpretations. 'Let's ignore the obvious because in this context it does not fit my preconceptions of losing salvation'....or so it might appear.

God Bless! :praying:

15. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I should also make the reader aware that Steaver limits what he states, “you must conclude” when the fact is that such does not have to be the conclusion at all. Paul nowhere states as Steaver implies that the reason why the young widow might wax wanton against Christ is due to their care of her, but rather simply sets forth that they might max wanton and cast off their first faith. Again, nowhere does the text imply or state that the help received would be the cause of the a casting off of ones faith as Steaver falsely implies is the only conclusion I could make coming from my position. The truth is that Paul does not give us any reason why, but only states that they can.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Nowhere in Scripture does it teach that the Holy Spirit will be withdrawn from any believer. Does God lie? God gives a gift of eternal life at the point when He gives the Holy Spirit at salvation. Eternal can never become temporary. If it could God would be a liar, wouldn't he?
    Why have you read so much into this passage that is not there. That is the tactic of J.W.'s and the RCC's. I expected more from you.

1 Timothy 5:12 Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith.
    The word "damnation" means "judgment." It is the judgment from the church. Remember Paul is writing to Timothy about order in the local church. It is a Pastoral Epistle.
    Secondly he mentions their "first faith," in the same way that Jesus mentions,
    Revelation 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
    Jesus was writing to Christians. He was writing to the pastors of seven churches composed of believers. These believers had left their first love, in the same way that these widows had left their first "faith" or the love of it. Of course if you take the verse out of its context you can make it say anything you want. Read my previous post where I explained every verse on this passage and it will all make sense to you--or at least it should.

17. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: How does one ‘turn aside after Satan’ if in fact they were never believers to start with? Is not this directly following the admonition that the possibility existed that some could ‘wax wanton against Christ’ and ‘cast of their first faith?’ Now he says that some have already ‘turned aside after Satan,’ giving emphasis, by relating to a fact, to the possibility mentioned in verse 12.

18. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Any one that does not love God, as evident by their leaving their first love, is deceived if they believe they are in line for an eternal existence with God. Re 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1. Does one trust Timothy to admit into the membership of the church of Ephesus believers only?
    2. Did Paul trust Timothy in this matter?
    3. Paul was writing to Timothy about church matters which inherently speaks about believers, and not unbelievers, and therefore there is no reason to take the stance that these are unbelievers.

I trust that if Satan should turn you aside from the straight and narrow path, that some Godly person would come and direct you back to it. It could happen to anyone. If you don't think it could never happen to you, then you have a pride issue. Satan attacks everyone. He walks around as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. We are told to: Resist the devil. Obviously he is a dangerous force to be reckoned with.

Some had already turned aside. It happens all the time. I have seen it too. Believers leave the church. They stop coming to church. They get caught up in the things of the world. They get backslidden in their lives. Do I automatically write them off as unsaved? No. Of course not.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And your point is??
    Rev.2:5 was written to the church at Ephesus in the first century. I doubt if that particular church is still there. But I doubt if all those believers are in Hell either.
    So what is your point?